Trippier not good enough - again.. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Trippier not good enough - again..

I found it interesting that Gareth preferred Tripps to Walker at wing back yesterday.

He knows he is better with his passing, crossing and set pieces. He would be damn right as well.

I found it interesting that Gareth preferred Tripps to Walker at wing back yesterday.

He knows he is better with his passing, crossing and set pieces. He would be damn right as well.

It's his weird Walker at RCB tactic. Not sure I love it personally but be interesting to see how it plays out in the world cup.

Tripps delivery is undoubtedly better but he doesn't have the pace to get into positions to use it as often as Walks

It's his weird Walker at RCB tactic. Not sure I love it personally but be interesting to see how it plays out in the world cup.

Tripps delivery is undoubtedly better but he doesn't have the pace to get into positions to use it as often as Walks

Let's be honest the oppsition was poor and stood off us in the first half and gave him all the room and time in the World, easy to look good when that happens - but then you saw yet again his inability to go past anyone and the number of times he cuts back/inside rather than go forward ...

Southgate using him like this ahead of Walker did my nut in. Trippier was adequate against a poor side, when they lifted it and stood up, he disappeared.

I'm not sure anything can be gleaned from a pre world cup friendly. I thought Tripps control and delivery was good. This Walker at LCB thing is still experimental and against weaker teams Walker is probably going to overlap with Tripps more.

Funny I may be one of the few folks here that doesn't rate Walker.
I'm one of the few , with you on this one , US .
I've never ever rated him , even when he played in our shirt . Makes too many mistakes ,too many brain farts ,( he cost City the double this year against Wigan ) gets caught out of position , doesn't have any bravery going forward to go passed the oppo full back in a one to one . He is ok in making the run in behind but won't take them on . Relies on his speed to make up for defensive errors . Don't rate him

As I said it was a friendly but Tripps did provide an assist, 2 key passes, 4 tackles , 1 interception and a testing free kick on target.

OPPP
I'm one of the few , with you on this one , US .
I've never ever rated him , even when he played in our shirt . Makes too many mistakes ,too many brain farts ,( he cost City the double this year against Wigan ) gets caught out of position , doesn't have any bravery going forward to go passed the oppo full back in a one to one . He is ok in making the run in behind but won't take them on . Relies on his speed to make up for defensive errors . Don't rate him

Not to put too fine a point on it boys but Pochettino and Guardiola both rate Walker. :throw:

Great athlete. Which helps him out and helps cover his weakness.

Didn't Chimbonda make the premier league best 11 one season? He was always called average as well.

Looking through the league he doesn't have much competition. Where have all the really good full backs gone?

I think Coleman is better but he had a very bad injury and only come back later in the season.

If Tripps had the mentality I would say he is as well.

Cedric at the saints has stalled but looked decent.

Walker's tenacity, pace and athleticism
Corulka's defensive brain, heading ability and communication
Carr's first touch, passing, pace and skill

I can go on, but it's hard to really embrace Trippier at that level when he really only has crossing above them. Ironically, his best attribute was keeping Walker on his toes. No surprise that Walker had his best season when Trippier was waiting in the wings. Then he finally got the shirt and has been mostly OK without ever being great. I still hope that KWP can be more like Carr when he played full back for Spurs. Hughton was another with touch, class, 2 good feet and endless energy to get up and down the flank.

I don't think there are many better wing backs in Europe than Walker, it puzzles me that so many cannot bring themselves to acknowledge this.

Didn't Walker make the PL team of the season! Not bad for an average player IMO

Citeh won the PL at a canter, dominated the opposition, made the other team do the chasing. You can cover up weaknesses in such advantageous playing circumstances.

Trippiers crossing may be his main asset but how many times did we see Walker steam down the wing and fail to cross or put in a poor one that hits the first defender. Little end product at the end of those runs. His assist stats for City tell the story.

Citeh won the PL at a canter, dominated the opposition, made the other team do the chasing. You can cover up weaknesses in such advantageous playing circumstances.
Clearly Pep knows very little about football as he was prepared to pay £50m for him, what a mug he must be. By the way, Walker made PL team the previous season when he was with us. Just goes to show how ill informed PL players are.

Walker's tenacity, pace and athleticism
Corulka's defensive brain, heading ability and communication
Carr's first touch, passing, pace and skill

I can go on, but it's hard to really embrace Trippier at that level when he really only has crossing above them. Ironically, his best attribute was keeping Walker on his toes. No surprise that Walker had his best season when Trippier was waiting in the wings. Then he finally got the shirt and has been mostly OK without ever being great. I still hope that KWP can be more like Carr when he played full back for Spurs. Hughton was another with touch, class, 2 good feet and endless energy to get up and down the flank.

Houghton was the best of all. Carr next in line.