Travelling support | Vital Football

Travelling support

C_Latic

Vital 1st Team Regular
One thing that really irked me tonight. Of all our players, only Walton, Powell and Elder had the decency to come right over and thank the fans for their support. Everyone else were either straight down the tunnel or a half arsed clap from the halfway line. No acknowledgement whatsoever from Paul Cook. Now I don’t care if we lost and the players are annoyed at the ref and piss wet through. That was one of the longest trips of the season on Easter Monday, late kickoff on TV in awful weather. Our travelling fans deserved better, it’s easy to milk the applause though when they’re winning local games against garbage like Bury! Credit to Elder especially, had an awful game but fronted up and came right over to thank the fans when like many others it would have been easier to do otherwise. Hopefully he keeps his place on Saturday as he’s still better than James.

C_Latic - 2/4/2018 23:26

One thing that really irked me tonight. Of all our players, only Walton, Powell and Elder had the decency to come right over and thank the fans for their support. Everyone else were either straight down the tunnel or a half arsed clap from the halfway line. No acknowledgement whatsoever from Paul Cook. Now I don’t care if we lost and the players are annoyed at the ref and piss wet through. That was one of the longest trips of the season on Easter Monday, late kickoff on TV in awful weather. Our travelling fans deserved better, it’s easy to milk the applause though when they’re winning local games against garbage like Bury! Credit to Elder especially, had an awful game but fronted up and came right over to thank the fans when like many others it would have been easier to do otherwise. Hopefully he keeps his place on Saturday as he’s still better than James.

That is disapointing.

Think you’re being a bit harsh on Cook there. He would’ve got slaughtered by the Pompey fans and I think he just wanted to keep his head down yesterday.

Besides, you know he always likes to shake the hand of every player that comes off the pitch that’s just what he does - top fella. We are very lucky to have him as our manager and representing our club, you could not wish to meet a nicer guy

It's not right, but sadly relatively few players always make the effort to applaud the fans (not just at Wigan, all clubs). Fans should be acknowledged by the players at the end of a game, but doesn't always happen. As for Cook, as I was in Fratton End yesterday, couldn't see if he did it yesterday, but he does usually applaud the fans before a game

He didn’t. I’m not being harsh, I understand him not coming over pre match as usual out of respect for Pompey. But at FT he was stood on the touchline waiting for the Pompey players to complete their lap of honour and he didn’t even glance over at the away end. He didn’t force the players over to the away end either like he did against Bury. Like I said, it wasn’t just any old away game on Monday, folk travelled a bloody long way for a televised weeknight match and deserved better acknowledgement from players/manager alike IMO.

As someone who actually goes to away games it doesn't bother me this clapping the fans at the end bollocks tbh.

Why is it bollocks? There needs to be a connection between the players and the fans. I don’t understand your attitude on this.