Transfers - Summer 2021 | Page 64 | Vital Football

Transfers - Summer 2021

central defender Cameron Carter-Vickers name was linked but the ink un has said that is not one the club is going for. The list of names is looking to be shifting to section B now :-). He is a decent championship defender. Never played in the premiership and Spurs have loaned him out multiple times to the championship. I am glad this is a no go.

Squad Numbers released and looking at them just makes me see how our squad still is not ready. Lacking in-depth and quality.

GK:

Gunn 28
Krul 1
McGovern 33

Def:

Byram (DR) 3
Aarons (DR) 2
Mumba (DR) 26
Giannoulis (DL) 30
Gibson (DC) 4
Hanley (DC) 5
Zimmermann (DC) 6
Omobamidele (DC) 44

Mid:

Rupp (MC) 7
Gilmour (MC) 8
Sorensen (MC) 19
McLean (MC) 23
Lees-Melou (MC) 20
Cantwell (ML) 14
Dowell (ACM) 10
Placheta (ML) 11
Rashica (MR) 17
Hernandez (ML) 25

Fwd:

Hugill 9
Pukki 22
Idah 35

We need another number 10, another forward, another central defender, another left-back, another right-winger

I thought it had been stated by Bailey or the Pinkun that the club are looking for
1)Striker
2) winger - i thought they would go for a right one (left footed as we play them inverted)
3) defensive midfielder
4) centre back
5) left back

I am not convinced that we are going to play with a no. 10

Apparently, United are looking to sell Dan James. If we could afford him then defo go for him. I'm sure DF said a few seasons ago he really liked him. But my guess is United would want at least 20 + million for him.

I also see Phil Jones is listed.......STAY AWAY from him.

I thought it had been stated by Bailey or the Pinkun that the club are looking for
1)Striker
2) winger - i thought they would go for a right one (left footed as we play them inverted)
3) defensive midfielder
4) centre back
5) left back

I am not convinced that we are going to play with a no. 10
Why do you think that? DF has played a number 10 since he has been here and loves the 4-2-3-1. Dowell is his 1st choice number 10 but he'll need another.

Bailey did say that but I'm saying it too.

Squad Numbers released and looking at them just makes me see how our squad still is not ready. Lacking in-depth and quality.

GK:

Gunn 28
Krul 1
McGovern 33

Def:

Byram (DR) 3
Aarons (DR) 2
Mumba (DR) 26
Giannoulis (DL) 30
Gibson (DC) 4
Hanley (DC) 5
Zimmermann (DC) 6
Omobamidele (DC) 44

Mid:

Rupp (MC) 7
Gilmour (MC) 8
Sorensen (MC) 19
McLean (MC) 23
Lees-Melou (MC) 20
Cantwell (ML) 14
Dowell (ACM) 10
Placheta (ML) 11
Rashica (MR) 17
Hernandez (ML) 25

Fwd:

Hugill 9
Pukki 22
Idah 35

We need another number 10, another forward, another central defender, another left-back, another right-winger
Premiership opponents must be quaking in their boots when they see our forward line up

Thomas Delaney wants a move. If he was interested in coming to us then we should outbid the other interested parties.
I saw that and valued at 9 million....that's our range. He could add experience. But Roma, palace in for him apparently.

Apparently, United are looking to sell Dan James. If we could afford him then defo go for him. I'm sure DF said a few seasons ago he really liked him. But my guess is United would want at least 20 + million for him.

I also see Phil Jones is listed.......STAY AWAY from him.

I thought it was Webber who rated James.

Why do you think that? DF has played a number 10 since he has been here and loves the 4-2-3-1. Dowell is his 1st choice number 10 but he'll need another.

Given the way the players have lined up in pre season matches. 3 or 5 a the back
with 2 or 3 in midfield doesnt leave many positions in the attacking areas.
Dowell has played on the right while also rotating into the middle (no 10).
If we are definitely playing with a no. 10 then Dowell is certainly one of those you would think would be in the "running" for the position.

There could be some merit to the idea of different formations this season. Trying to dominate possession against often world class players will be very tough. Perhaps a more compact formation with the ability to spring fast counter attacks will be in Farke’s mind.
Milot Rashica is seriously rapid and spent 39% of last season’s game time as an out and out striker with 44% as a CAM (central attacking midfielder/No:10). He was most productive in a 3-5-2 and the thought of him alongside Pukki is an idea I like. He can play on the wing but was used more often through the centre.
I’m going to the Gillingham friendly tonight, so will let you know what the set-up is and how the new boys look in the flesh…

Given the way the players have lined up in pre season matches. 3 or 5 a the back
with 2 or 3 in midfield doesnt leave many positions in the attacking areas.
Dowell has played on the right while also rotating into the middle (no 10).
If we are definitely playing with a no. 10 then Dowell is certainly one of those you would think would be in the "running" for the position.
I was thinking that he was maybe experimenting with the 3 at the back as he had key players still out injured. He did that last season too. I mean Placheta has been deployed at left-back in the 5. I still think come Liverpool we will see the good old 4-2-3-1 or even 4-3-2-1. Dowell on the right near looks right as he isn't a right-winger. I think it will be Rashica come the season with Cantwell left and Dowell behind Pukki but that will mean we are exposed in midfield.

There could be some merit to the idea of different formations this season. Trying to dominate possession against often world class players will be very tough. Perhaps a more compact formation with the ability to spring fast counter attacks will be in Farke’s mind.
Milot Rashica is seriously rapid and spent 39% of last season’s game time as an out and out striker with 44% as a CAM (central attacking midfielder/No:10). He was most productive in a 3-5-2 and the thought of him alongside Pukki is an idea I like. He can play on the wing but was used more often through the centre.
I’m going to the Gillingham friendly tonight, so will let you know what the set-up is and how the new boys look in the flesh…
Totally agree. DF relies too much on the same formation and we are easy to read. I would like to see a 5-4-1 in away games and use counter attacking football with the pace of Aarons, Rashica and even Placheta (why we signed him for his pace).

I was thinking that he was maybe experimenting with the 3 at the back as he had key players still out injured. He did that last season too. I mean Placheta has been deployed at left-back in the 5. I still think come Liverpool we will see the good old 4-2-3-1 or even 4-3-2-1. Dowell on the right near looks right as he isn't a right-winger. I think it will be Rashica come the season with Cantwell left and Dowell behind Pukki but that will mean we are exposed in midfield.
Cannot be exposed anywhere in the Premier league.

A few thoughts on last night:

As mentioned everywhere else, Billy Gilmour was excellent and ran the midfield along with Lees-Melou who looks hard but with good ability, passing and an eye for goal.
Todd Cantwell was terrific and supplied an astonishing assist for Idah’s first goal.
Both full-backs, particularly Giannoulis were excellent and will clearly provide width & pace. Good to see Gibson back alongside Amabomidele.
The reality though was that it’s very hard to judge a game/performance like this as the Gills were outclassed from the first min to the last. Not much more than miles in legs and getting match sharpness. Lots of players missing due to COVID and hopefully there’ll be a few more back for Newcastle at the weekend.