Transfer Window - Summer 2022 | Page 144 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - Summer 2022

Do you know what went wrong with Eriksen? You thought it was a done deal a while back.

Eriksen was my favourite player on the pitch around about 2017. However, I'm not sure I've ever liked the fact that he can never be "all in" wherever he is. When you think about it, he is a football mercenary. He turns up at Spurs and within a year or two he makes it clear he is just passing through to bigger things. Then he downs tools on us. He then wanted one of the big Spanish clubs and they turned their nose up at him as he had showed a less than professional attitude at Spurs. He then compromised what he wanted and signed for Inter, sulking his way through his 18 months there.

I don't obviously wish a cardiac arrest on anyone, but I was hoping he had taken stock and changed. What he should be doing is showing some loyalty to Thomas Frank or just being honest with him that he is not joining Bees. Perhaps he has, but it seems it's still hanging.

My instinct is saying that if he turns up at Spurs then his headspace will just be back to where it was in his last couple of years at the club. My guess is he'll eventually choose the Utd money.

Fantastic footballer but very high maintenance. I'm not sure I want us saddled with that again unless he is "all in" for Conte's project. By the way, I can't be sure Conte and Eriksen have the rosiest relationship either. Perhaps Antonio sees that flakiness that I feel a bout the guy.

Eriksen was my favourite player on the pitch around about 2017. However, I'm not sure I've ever liked the fact that he can never be "all in" wherever he is. When you think about it, he is a football mercenary. He turns up at Spurs and within a year or two he makes it clear he is just passing through to bigger things. Then he downs tools on us. He then wanted one of the big Spanish clubs and they turned their nose up at him as he had showed a less than professional attitude at Spurs. He then compromised what he wanted and signed for Inter, sulking his way through his 18 months there.

I don't obviously wish a cardiac arrest on anyone, but I was hoping he had taken stock and changed. What he should be doing is showing some loyalty to Thomas Frank or just being honest with him that he is not joining Bees. Perhaps he has, but it seems it's still hanging.

My instinct is saying that if he turns up at Spurs then his headspace will just be back to where it was in his last couple of years at the club. My guess is he'll eventually choose the Utd money.

Fantastic footballer but very high maintenance. I'm not sure I want us saddled with that again unless he is "all in" for Conte's project. By the way, I can't be sure Conte and Eriksen have the rosiest relationship either. Perhaps Antonio sees that flakiness that I feel a bout the guy.

He wouldn't even be a 1st 11 player if he did join. Unless we dropped the 343 formation of course.

I hope we look elsewhere. Time to move on.

He wouldn't even be a 1st 11 player if he did join. Unless we dropped the 343 formation of course.

I hope we look elsewhere. Time to move on.
I read this morning that he wherever he goes he expects to be a regular starter. His target is the World Cup. If that is correct then he won't get that with us and he'd be coming with the wrong attitude for us as well. Just as it would be if Bale signed.

So maybe those were the vibes Para got when he was talking with Eriksen's team? And didn't Matic mention recently that we had possibly lined up a similar type of player only much younger? Not that there are many Eriksen's out there.

Brentford is the only place of the 3 he has been linked to where he would be a nailed on starter. There have been some loose links to Leeds and Newcastle where he would also have a decent chance of being regular starter. Apparently his family prefer to be in London so unless we have a change of heart or, say Palace are looking for a Gallagher replacement, I think it likely he will stick with the Bees.

Whilst the transfer dealings undertaken by Paratici thus far have largely been excellent, I'm very disappointed that we've allowed Nick Pope to move from Burnley to Newcastle. Despite Burnley being relegated Pope was unquestionably one of the best keepers in the PL last season, and has been for sometime. I find it surprising that we should opt to sign a 35 year old journeyman as a benchwarmer backup to another 35 year old keeper who definitely showed signs of decline last season. Pope, additional to being the England heir apparent, I'm sure that he will displace Pickford at some stage, would have enabled a rotate with Lloris, or at the very least proper competition, whilst being a ready made replacement when Hugo's contract ends. I don't think that that replacement will be Forster.
Definitely a missed opportunity, and at just £10m is crazy. I would think he has been assured of playing time at Newcastle and therein lies the problem with the goalie position. Someone of Pope's quality isn't going to be happy playing backup to Lloris and for that reason don't see us buying his replacement until he no longer deserves the number one shirt.

Whilst the transfer dealings undertaken by Paratici thus far have largely been excellent, I'm very disappointed that we've allowed Nick Pope to move from Burnley to Newcastle. Despite Burnley being relegated Pope was unquestionably one of the best keepers in the PL last season, and has been for sometime. I find it surprising that we should opt to sign a 35 year old journeyman as a benchwarmer backup to another 35 year old keeper who definitely showed signs of decline last season. Pope, additional to being the England heir apparent, I'm sure that he will displace Pickford at some stage, would have enabled a rotate with Lloris, or at the very least proper competition, whilst being a ready made replacement when Hugo's contract ends. I don't think that that replacement will be Forster.
I'm not sure we can use the word 'allow' that suggest it was in our power to stop it.
I personally think we had little to no chance of getting him, we'd have to have guaranteed him a starting place over our club captain. I'm sure Pope wants to go to the WC, he needs to be playing for that to happen.
Hugo wants to go to the WC, the same thing applies to him. If WC weren't on the horizon we may well have signed Henderson or indeed Pope IMO.

Real Madrid are considering a bid for Son? Good luck with that, no chance we would sell.

90% of Korean Spurs fans, would change their support overnight. We should be looking at another Korean prospect to shore up our presence there.

Koreans tend to follow their players, ehen I first lived there it was PSV shirts due to Lee and Park playing there, two years later they were wearing Man Utd shirts and showing every Man Utd game on TV.

Now most football fans follow Spurs with all our games shown live, Mallorca and a few German clubs get good coverage due to Koreans there but nothing on the level that Spurs have.

I see Spurs adverts in so many Korean publications every day, Son is at a Beckham or CR7 level there, I'm sure we would never consider a bid and lose that market.

I'm repeating myself here, but am interested as to your comments re Brentford/Frank. As I've said before I've long been a fan of Eriksen, and don't feel that we've ever managed to properly replace him, the quartet of Kane, Son, Eriksen and Dele in their Poch heyday, was one of the best things that has happened to Spurs in the last few decades. Having said that, I can't shake a bad feeling at the prospect of him rejoining Spurs, I don't think he'll be doing himself any favours by setting his sights too high. Like you, I feel that a bit of loyalty toward Brentford and Frank wouldn't be amiss, and longer term would probably be in his best interests.

I'm repeating myself here, but am interested as to your comments re Brentford/Frank. As I've said before I've long been a fan of Eriksen, and don't feel that we've ever managed to properly replace him, the quartet of Kane, Son, Eriksen and Dele in their Poch heyday, was one of the best things that has happened to Spurs in the last few decades. Having said that, I can't shake a bad feeling at the prospect of him rejoining Spurs, I don't think he'll be doing himself any favours by setting his sights too high. Like you, I feel that a bit of loyalty toward Brentford and Frank wouldn't be amiss, and longer term would probably be in his best interests.
Ther’s no such thing as loyalty in today’s football! Its all about money!

What do you base that suspicion on, where is the consistent evidence of quality to support it? His debut goal against citeh was his stepping stone to consolidate his position. Since then only a lonely Leics beacon has shone in an empty ocean, of what Bergwijn hasn't been good enough to do.

Consistent evidence from a young player is often hard to get. To me he's a player who has most of what it takes to be a top player with a slight mental block that could be unlocked with the right coaching. He shows for Netherlands with a bit of time and space he can score worldies, so the technical skill is there. And occasionally it clicks when he plays for us. He's much more disciplined and intelligent defensively than Moura or Son and I saw a breakdown of his pass and key passing stats.

I just think being in an out of a team with a revolving door of managers and coaching styles stunted his development, and he could well go up a couple gears in the next couple of years if he has more consistent coaching.

Brentford is the only place of the 3 he has been linked to where he would be a nailed on starter.

From what I saw of them the way he played for Brentford his form exceeds that of any of United's midfield at the moment. Ours too but I don't see him playing either Bentancur or Hojbjerg's role, and Kulu doesn't deserve to be dropped so realistically wouldn't be guaranteed a start here unless we changed system.

Consistent evidence from a young player is often hard to get. To me he's a player who has most of what it takes to be a top player with a slight mental block that could be unlocked with the right coaching. He shows for Netherlands with a bit of time and space he can score worldies, so the technical skill is there. And occasionally it clicks when he plays for us. He's much more disciplined and intelligent defensively than Moura or Son and I saw a breakdown of his pass and key passing stats.

I just think being in an out of a team with a revolving door of managers and coaching styles stunted his development, and he could well go up a couple gears in the next couple of years if he has more consistent coaching.

I would suggest that consistent evidence should be easier to obtain in a team finishing in fourth place, and ruling most of their matches. As well as his mental block, there are also technique issues that with time and space playing for us, regularly show his flaws. Maybe in a less demanding league those issues might not be so evident.

If you want Kane to stay up top where he can be lethal then you have to provide creativity behind him. IMO, Eriksen and Bissounma will give us options that we've not had for 5+ years.

As for wanting to be a starter. I just don't get it.

If selections are meritrocrity based rather than favs or stubbornness, then NO player should expect to start because he demands it.

He played 7 x 90 mins for Brentford and some cameo's. He still got selected by Denmark. We have near 17 PL games before the WC and throw in a handful of cup games (say total 22 games), there's enough game time for a higher calibre squad through rotation and tactical switches. Further, Eriksen is relied upon by Denmark nearly as much as Bale is for Wales. So, the idea he needs regular starts for the WC doesn't hold for me.

I'd have Eriksen, the humbled one. I do not believe any PL team will risk starting him regularly. The guy has hardly had a year under his belt since his miraculous recovery.

I would suggest that consistent evidence should be easier to obtain in a team finishing in fourth place, and ruling most of their matches. As well as his mental block, there are also technique issues that with time and space playing for us, regularly show his flaws. Maybe in a less demanding league those issues might not be so evident.

but he hasn't had a consistent injury free run in the team (at least for a while) which is pretty pivotal at this stage of his career no?

I am not panicking but I thought AC wanted all of his transfer business concluded before preseason?

Eriksen looks to be off
Levy is negotiating the Spence deal
Arsenal are further down the line for Raphina
Chelsea have bid for Richarlison
Bastoni is definitely staying
Lautaro is definitely staying

After an amazing start, things have been grinding to a halt whilst our rivals take advantage. A little concerning but I have faith in Paratici. Romero, Bentancur and Kulusevski have earned him that credit.

I wouldn't be surprised if we landed 0 of the targets above and I'm generally ok with that so long as we get cooking.