Transfer Window - Summer 2021 | Page 70 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - Summer 2021

Well we get accused of no forward thinking so much of the time, and I do realise that people only see what they want to see, but part of every window should be investing for beyond the next season and we have - whether we have done that or will do that successfully are not is of course arguable,

but, we can't accuse them of lack of planning - Son will go soon enough and I'd rather have a ready-made replacement ..
This.

You can never underestimate the importance of forward thinking. It's key to the future growth of the club. As Nuno states the youth is just as important as the next guy at the club & of course he's absolutely right.

Wouldn't he be relying on Hitchen to provide him with that data? And to make the case(s) for their targeting and recruitment. At least until he gets to grips with talent pool that is available here.

He might be, but he could also be staying in his own comfort zone.

Are we in that market though? I've only seen us buy Sess in about 5-7 years of looking at emerging domestic players. I assume they're on every club's database, but either we can't close or are too short term in our transfer strategy and are not trying. Hence, why the England team doesn't have Spurs players in it. In my opinion, we have to be in that market to be successful in the PL. Otherwise, it puts all the burden on our own academy to produce the goods.

I do like it when we go and get players like Alfie Devine though at 16. That's another part of the model, although Wigan fans weren't probably too happy we took advantage of their financial plight.

He might be, but he could also be staying in his own comfort zone.

Are we in that market though? I've only seen us buy Sess in about 5-7 years of looking at emerging domestic players. I assume they're on every club's database, but either we can't close or are too short term in our transfer strategy and are not trying. Hence, why the England team doesn't have Spurs players in it. In my opinion, we have to be in that market to be successful in the PL. Otherwise, it puts all the burden on our own academy to produce the goods.

I do like it when we go and get players like Alfie Devine though at 16. That's another part of the model, although Wigan fans weren't probably too happy we took advantage of their financial plight.
We have been active over the years. Bale, Dele, Rose, Walker & Sess have all been brought in young so it's not as if we've been sitting on our hands.

The competition's fierce in the transfer market, it's easy to see why it's so hit & miss for some, unless you're Chelski of course. Then again who in their right mind is going to sanction that kind of spending at any other club.

We have been active over the years. Bale, Dele, Rose, Walker & Sess have all been brought in young so it's not as if we've been sitting on our hands.

The competition's fierce in the transfer market, it's easy to see why it's so hit & miss for some, unless you're Chelski of course. Then again who in their right mind is going to sanction that kind of spending at any other club.

We will eventually be after the top 0.01% of footballers. Then it will be competitive.

Sess aside the players you mentioned were Brought in years ago.

That philosophy is an ongoing strategy. We have taken our foot off the gas in this department.

I thought Poch was trying to go back down that route in the 2019 summer transfer window by signing Sess, Clarke and by pushing KWP as our RWB.

There was also strong rumours he wanted Aaron's and White and Godfrey.

A back line of Aaron's White Godfrey Sess would have been exciting.

Sess aside the players you mentioned were Brought in years ago.

That philosophy is an ongoing strategy. We have taken our foot off the gas in this department.

I thought Poch was trying to go back down that route in the 2019 summer transfer window by signing Sess, Clarke and by pushing KWP as our RWB.

There was also strong rumours he wanted Aaron's and White and Godfrey.

A back line of Aaron's White Godfrey Sess would have been exciting.
With the money currently available in the PL everybody's vying for the same prospects. That being said i do believe we've fallen behind the others, hopefully that will soon change.

I would rather buy young talent than proven average tripe which we have done in abundance in recent times.

We can't afford top ready players.
In theory that's what we TRY to do, i.e., an attempt to bring in young and potential. The problem that I always saw was the lack of game time for these youngsters and the rare opportunities they were presented which meant greater scrutiny and higher pressure to perform. Foyth, Sess, the two N's, Clarke, Vinicius....hell, I'd have persevered with Jannsen for a few regular starts. Even Rodon didn't get a run of games.

Here's hoping Nuno has a different approach to youth.

Last edited:
With the money currently available in the PL everybody's vying for the same prospects. That being said i do believe we've fallen behind the others, hopefully that will soon change.

Agree other teams are trying to do the same. But we are in the top 10 richest clubs in the world. Have been for a decade or so.

We have the advantage over most other teams. Plus there are plenty of young talented English players around, you just have to have the correct scouting teams in place.

I'm really hoping Fabio is the difference now.

Not writing him off. Everyone is saying we are short of money so why spend it on someone who is most likely not going to be ready for a few seasons. Our 11 is poor and we need upgrades in a few place but not on the lw

IF and I say IF, he's as good as his billing suggests, you will only get one chance to sign him before he steps up and shows he can do it when and where it matters - you only get that chance once.

Last edited:
Welcome Chris Perkins. Now get out there and plunder the market for the best young players.

So do we think Hitchins will make it to the other side of the new org structure?

Well, we have long held the belief that our scouting network wasn't emphasized enough. So hopefully this is a build out not a restructure.

And as I mentioned above, this appears to be academy related based on his title.

IF and I say IF, he's as good as his billing suggests, you will only get one chance to sign him before he steps up and shows he can do it when and where it matters - you only get that chance once.

That's the same as Gio and Lamela himself as well as others. I will say I have heard of him but to be honest he never caught my attention. He was another I thought was all bluster not much end product. A few other scouts I know said the same. He was big news when he broke on the seen but has not pushed on as expected. 50 plus games in la Liga only 6 goals. Maybe he comes good but at this time we need to improve our 11 not our u 23's. If we have more money than I thought then yes great but if it means we are 20 mill short when we try and get Skriniar or someone similar it will be a shame