Transfer Window - Summer 2021 | Page 69 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - Summer 2021

If you read Ex's post again you'll find the comparison was being made a year ago. A year ago Pedri hadn't even made his debut for Barcelona so at that point the comparison was valid.

Not for me . They play different positions and Gil was a year further along than Pedri. Given what Pedri has done this year there is no comparison. People can say Barca,real and other big teams were in for him but that's rubbish. If they come calling he moves to them and definitely not us. Look he might be brilliant but it's to early to tell.

I am always worried about these players. Sevilla are in the cl and although they have money problems they would not sell a promising player unless they think he will not make the grade. I must admit he is interesting. He is very raw and needs so much work . He has a very low centre of gravity and loves to run at players which he seems decent at. He is entertaining but with not a great end product. He has not many assists or goals to his name. My problem is that he is like Lucas and berg. Yes he has been called to the Spanish squad but at the moment I don't think that is a big deal. I am worried we will buy another Gio ,Jansen ,Njie or Georges. They came of a better season than Gil but they were poor. We will have to see.

The extent to the cash crisis is huge, add to that the fact that every single club in la Liga has been forced by the wages cap to slash wages expenditure and it should be no surprise to anyone young players who were put on big contracts but have yet to justify them are the sort that all clubs there are moving on.

In a crisis, you rely on established players and take fewer chances on promising youngsters who may or may not come good; my understanding is he's only on around £25k per week there, but they put him on that deal to ward off buyers - clearly, circumstances have made them have a rethink.

It's true, he is now a gamble, he is now still learning the game, he may well not make the grade - we will see. What I do know is, with luck he'll be pushing for a first-team starting place within a year or two and won't be a crock like Lamela, who if we're lucky we can only get a quarter of a season out of!

Some may question why go for a left-sided winger. Son will not last forever and if he stays maybe we'll get another couple of years out of him or if he can't get away this year, will leave next.

Either way, he's not one for today, but we can only hope he's one for the near future.

As I said, he is now a gamble.

Last edited:
All of the serious transfer links give me optimism (again maybe due to fm21). Could it be we have someone incisive in recruitment.

Gil is my biggest concern from those signings but arguably worth it to get rid of Lamela. I'm concerned he could be another Nkoudou (who didn't get enough of a chance imo), Njie or Taarabt. I do like how he runs at players.

The extent to the cash crisis is huge, add to that the fact that every single club in la Liga has been forced by the wages cap to slash wages expenditure and it should be no surprise to anyone young players who were put on big contracts but have yet to justify them are the sort that all clubs there are moving on.

In a crisis, you rely on established players and take fewer chances on promising youngsters who may or may not come good; my understanding is he's only on around £20k per week there, but they put him on that deal to ward off buyers - clearly, circumstances have made them have a rethink.

It's true, he is now a gamble, he is now still learning the game, he may well not make the grade - we will see. What I do know is, with luck he'll be pushing for a first-team starting place within a year or two and won't be a crock like Lamela, who if we're lucky we can only get a quarter of a season out of!

Some may question why go for a left-sided winger. Son will not last forever and if he stays maybe we'll get another couple of years out of him or if he can't get away this year, will leave next.

Either way, he's not one for today, but we can only hope he's one for the near future.

This for the future mentality is crazy and not for me! We got Clarke 10M, Sessignon 25M, and others! Now you reckon Gil is for the future! I want players for now!

This for the future mentality is crazy and not for me! We got Clarke 10M, Sessignon 25M, and others! Now you reckon Gil is for the future! I want players for now!
This fixation of buying players for the future is not working because by the time that they are ready, if that it’s time to go somewhere else! We all agree that the team is not strong enough, so players should be brought in now and not for the future! We have the academy for that, otherwise might as well shut it down!

It is a puzzle I agree; but it could well be that players like him only come along when you get lucky - next year la liga's wages cap is likely to be less strict and getting him might then prove impossible, so I'm guessing but that's why I think we're doing it now - you have to consider we've been hawking Lamela around for the past year/18 months with no takers and these maybe the only ones who bit.

On the basis of the future could look bright for this lad, I'd take the gamble.

This fixation of buying players for the future is not working because by the time that they are ready, if that it’s time to go somewhere else! We all agree that the team is not strong enough, so players should be brought in now and not for the future! We have the academy for that, otherwise might as well shut it down!

Well we get accused of no forward thinking so much of the time, and I do realise that people only see what they want to see, but part of every window should be investing for beyond the next season and we have - whether we have done that or will do that successfully are not is of course arguable,

but, we can't accuse them of lack of planning - Son will go soon enough and I'd rather have a ready-made replacement ..

Will Sevilla’s Bryan Gil thrive at Spurs?

20-year-old Gil, a slaloming and supremely gifted left-winger, has only ever started one La Liga match in Sevilla colours.

A dazzling loan spell at Eibar during the 2020/21 campaign offered a tantalising glimpse into his vast potential, however, with coach Jose Luis Mendilibar full of praise for a man who shone in a side who would end the season suffering the heartbreak of relegation.

“Sometimes we think that skilled players are not well regarded in England. With the youth that Bryan Gil has, he is capable of everything,” said Mendilibar of a man who produced four goals and three assists during his time at Ipurua.

“He is brave, ready, he doesn’t get down on hard tackles. If he has the chance to go (to Tottenham), he’ll become a better footballer.”
GettyImages-1314810379.jpg
Photo by Juan Manuel Serrano Arce/Getty Images
Gil has been compared to a young Johan Cryuff – as much due to his mind-bending technical ability as his Lennon-esque haircut – while one of the most experienced and respected scouts in Spanish football sees a touch of the Neymars about the ‘Beatle from Barbate’.

“Right now he is Spain’s best footballer and I compare him with Neymar,” German Vaya Ballabriga, a man credited with discovering Andres Iniesta, said back in February.

“He can do certain things and has great versatility, as he can play at full-back, in the middle or on the left wing. It’s impressive.

“I have spoken with (Barcelona director) Raman Planes about him and he has Bryan Gil in mind.”

Bringing in a bunch of players from other leagues is an interesting strategy. I'm mostly seeing links to La Liga and Serie A players, but don't recall a single link to a young homegrown player yet in this window.

We've just watched our national team stroll to the final of a major tournament and you just have to know there is a group of talented players coming through behind them. It is also the Prem teams that are competing in the major UEFA finals, not always teams from the Spanish and Italian leagues.

I hope Paratici knows what he's doing. There is a whole pool of talent in these shores and I'm not convinced he's all over it.

Bringing in a bunch of players from other leagues is an interesting strategy. I'm mostly seeing links to La Liga and Serie A players, but don't recall a single link to a young homegrown player yet in this window.

We've just watched our national team stroll to the final of a major tournament and you just have to know there is a group of talented players coming through behind them. It is also the Prem teams that are competing in the major UEFA finals, not always teams from the Spanish and Italian leagues.

I hope Paratici knows what he's doing. There is a whole pool of talent in these shores and I'm not convinced he's all over it.

We have anywhere between 2-6 kids now (including a couple from our u-23's) who may make the step up into the PL, Nuno is assessing and watching and the confidence that they can step up over the next couple of seasons is very high.

We will have to watch and wait, and in this case, patience may truly be a virtue.

Last edited:

In a crisis, you rely on established players and take fewer chances on promising youngsters who may or may not come good; my understanding is he's only on around £20k per week there, but they put him on that deal to ward off buyers - clearly, circumstances have made them have a rethink.

That's my big issue at the moment. We are short of funds and our 11 needs major overhaul. We have 4 wingers. 1 fw , 6 cms, 2 rbs, 3 lbs ,5 cbs and 1 GK. That is not including youth players. Apart rom Kane,Son and Hugo who start all the time. I would keep Gio, Japhet , Tanguy ,Sess and Reg but I would not lose sleep if we sold them. The rest me personally would look to upgrade. I know we can't do that so our money should be spent on a back up for Hugo 2 rbs a upgrade on Hojbjerg and depending on the Harry situation and how good Troy and Damon look either 1 or 2 top fws. We don't have 20 mill to spend on someone who may be good enough in a year or so

So why write him off before he has even set foot in the club?

Not writing him off. Everyone is saying we are short of money so why spend it on someone who is most likely not going to be ready for a few seasons. Our 11 is poor and we need upgrades in a few place but not on the lw

Wouldn't he be relying on Hitchen to provide him with that data? And to make the case(s) for their targeting and recruitment. At least until he gets to grips with talent pool that is available here.

We have anywhere between 2-6 kinds now (including a couple from our u-23's) who may make the step up into the PL, Nuno is assessing and watching and the confidence that they can step up over the next couple of seasons is very high.

We will have to watch and wait, and in this case, patience may truly be a virtue.

That should always be the case, in any given season. It's actually a neglect of duty if we haven't got 2-6 kids that have a chance of becoming PL players. That is, understanding that some can't become top 4 players. That's another level.

This is where we need to be buying guys like Max Aarons a couple of seasons ago. Getting them out on loan and then re-introducing them. That kid was better than our own RB's in the Prem 2 seasons ago. He's now likely to make a significant move this summer. I doubt we'll be engaging as clubs with a quality over quantity transfer strategy just add to what they already have.