Transfer Window - Summer 2021 | Page 3 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - Summer 2021

It was a very inflated market at the time. Paying £38m today is like Barca buying De Jong for £59m a couple of years back. That is what Upamecano would have cost in that market.

Also Upamecano is 2 years older and has played all his football in the Bundesliga. He has way over 100 senior appearances. Sanchez had 32 games for Ajax.

When you break it down, there is no apples to apples comparison there at all. I try not to be too tough on Levy for taking the plunge for a player that was highly rated at the time. You never know whether a centre half can make it through this final part of the process. Nothing near as bad as the signings of Sissoko, Moura and Aurier who everyone knew were duds.

Transfer values will end up around 30-40% lower come the summer, I can already see it in the wage settlements, admittedly I only see first had deals from the championship down, but it sets the tone and pre-contract 'agreements' betweens clubs and agents are already reflecting this new reality.

If we want to win titles then we need to rebuild.

We need a new GK, RCB, LCB. That should be the minimum for next season.

We need to step backwards before we can go forwards imo.

The team is in desperate need of finding an identity because we lost the one Poch implemented and Mourinho is showing he cannot do it.

The club also needs to return to it's policy of signing young, English players. We stopped putting one eye on the future and as promising as a lot of our own youth has been/is, they are not breaking into the first team that often and the ones that do aren't having a quick enough impact or aren't being given a chance to.

When we do go into the transfer market we need to be much, much smarter and MUCH more decisive. If we sign a player there needs to be a definitive plan to a) ease them into the squad b) know exactly what we need them for and c) play to their strengths. There is a madness to signing a player (Doherty is a good example) and then playing them in a role they are not most effective in.

The spine is EVERYTHING! GK - CB - CM - ST. Without that reliable, consistent, capable spine running through the team we cannot progress. No matter the formation, no matter the tactics, if you have those four positions settled you can rotate as often as you want and the incoming players will be more at ease.

Pick the manager/head coach to suit the team. Having a manager who favours high pressing, high fitness and high possession and then replacing him with someone who favours a ultra-defensive, limited possession and counter attacking is never going to go well. IF your team has an identity that clearly isnt working then it is fair enough that a change of direction may be needed, but when you making the CL every season, have got to multiple finals in recent seasons and have been active title contenders perhaps a total change of approach is not what you need.

Can anyone tell me what the hold up is regarding signing Son on a long contract?. The not signing now because of Covid 19 does not convince me in the slightest! Get him signed today and dont wait for tomorrow! ASAP!!!

Can anyone tell me what the hold up is regarding signing Son on a long contract?. The not signing now because of Covid 19 does not convince me in the slightest! Get him signed today and dont wait for tomorrow! ASAP!!!
Hey cummings, the impression I am getting is he is going to sign, but at the end of the season, I could well be wrong there, certainly hope not, he says he is happy at Spurs, bur hey what do I know.

Reading this morning that Inter Milan's Chinese owners are struggling on payments for Lukaku, Barella and Eriksen. Utd might be looking at either Skriniar or Lautaro Martinez to cover the payment. Makes you wonder whether that is why Levy was trying to get Skriniar in the summer or even bring Eriksen back on loan.

I still think the rebuild needs to be substantial. We need to get younger and start offloading distractions and I do think it may be time to start thinking about taking the team in a different direction from Dier, Toby, Kane, etc...

It will be slow and painful...but with the right coach steering the ship, I think it is for the best.

It's not an opinion shared by all on here, but I'm glad we seem to be keen on keeping Vinicius. I've been impressed with the lad overall. The right attitude and has ability. A bit more time playing in the PL will make him stronger.

It's hilarious that we're trying to haggle Benfica down on price though. Typical Levy. Did that with Pau Lopes too and it did not work.

It's not an opinion shared by all on here, but I'm glad we seem to be keen on keeping Vinicius. I've been impressed with the lad overall. The right attitude and has ability. A bit more time playing in the PL will make him stronger.

It's hilarious that we're trying to haggle Benfica down on price though. Typical Levy. Did that with Pau Lopes too and it did not work.

Matic I am with you bud! I like the kid. He shows heart and emotion on the pitch...unlike most of the lackluster clowns just going through the motions out there.

Yep if he gets more playing time...the kid will get goals....

I agree except I think haggling is only natural. His fee is too high, by the summer clubs (us included) will have been struggling with no matchday income for a season and a half. Transfer fees MUST start to reflect the reality. If we can get him for a knockdown price I'd be all over it.

Agree. He is a realistic target and we can afford him.

He works hard, has good movement and knows where the back of the net is.

If we played him as our number 1 striker I reckon he gets 15 league goals easily.

Couldn't agree with you more regards "Sid Vicious", a while back Ex and I discussed his merits, every time I see him pull the jersey on I get the impression that he is proud of it and that he wants to give it all and prove he can do a job.

For me, he is not an "Our Arry" type of striker, though not many are, he for me is a poacher/target man in the Clive Allen mold.
He has a future with us if we keep him.