Transfer window rumours | Page 4 | Vital Football

Transfer window rumours

I suspect they will try to offload more senior players, and even if they were available I’m not sure I’d want them permanently anyway. Coyle I gather is the better of the two and could be quite useful but not in an Evans side.

They are both quality prospects and I doubt very much we could get anywhere near the asking price. As an investment, and if I had to choose, I`d splash out for young Zech - has all the tools and tenacity; add some more experience and a few pounds of muscle and he could well play at the highest level. Wouldn`t say no to adding young Trae to our permanent ranks either - qualiteee.
In the unlikely event that Arsenal actually made them available, wonder how much we`d have to pay for the pair ?

They are both quality prospects and I doubt very much we could get anywhere near the asking price. As an investment, and if I had to choose, I`d splash out for young Zech - has all the tools and tenacity; add some more experience and a few pounds of muscle and he could well play at the highest level. Wouldn`t say no to adding young Trae to our permanent ranks either - qualiteee.
In the unlikely event that Arsenal actually made them available, wonder how much we`d have to pay for the pair ?
I’m not convinced on Medley at all, I definitely expected him to be better, certainly no better then Egan, Hause, or Samual who were a similar age. Coyle is highly regarded and more then good enough but gets over looked because of his physicality. I do wonder if the money could be better spent elsewhere.

I’m not convinced on Medley at all, I definitely expected him to be better, certainly no better then Egan, Hause, or Samual who were a similar age. .

Fair enough Gills93, we all see things differently. Not saying he`s a better prospect than Egan btw; John was a superb catch for us and has done well at the top level. Hause - also done well, though he doesn`t play centre-back - as far as i`m aware (Medley is primarily a centre-back). Samuel - different position altogether - and in my view didn`t (on loan) and still doesn`t have the star potential that Medley possesses.

It`s been a difficult season for our central defense and gaining any kind of consistency along our back line has been a real challenge. For whatever reason, having so many guys competing for the back line, especially at centre-back, has so far led to more of a cameo situation than we`d normally experience - apart from Jack, tbf.

Jay Lloyd Samuel was a defender, and a far more accomplished one at a very similar age, Medley obviously has potential but I’d argue he’s no better then Tucker who needs an experienced centre back to play along side. I guess I’m probably being more critical because of where they came from and the hype surrounding them. If both were recalled in January I wouldn’t lose any sleep.

Jay Lloyd Samuel was a defender, and a far more accomplished one at a very similar age, Medley obviously has potential but I’d argue he’s no better then Tucker who needs an experienced centre back to play along side. I guess I’m probably being more critical because of where they came from and the hype surrounding them. If both were recalled in January I wouldn’t lose any sleep.
The other perhaps slight possibly is they could be recalled and sold.I would agree it is unlikely we would pay a fee but a championship club might be able to take a long term view on one or both.If we are wanting to sell Tucker anytime soon it would somewhat dumb to leave him out in favour of a Arsenal youngster. As has been said they don't seem to work that well together. With Graham out I had hoped that Coyle might get more of a chance.In the current circumstances it would not shock me if Arsenal had a bit of a fire sale. So if there are any takers for a player regardless of age they will possibly take it.

Oh, OK, didn`t realise you were talking about (the late) JLloyd Samuel. Thought you meant our current guy. Yes, JLloyd was brilliant for Gills and one of the best loan signings we have ever made. He was entertaining, good to watch and a complete pro. Very sad that he died so young.

Neither am I suggesting that Zech is better than our Jack. IMO they will both play at a higher level and I see no reason why Jack shouldn`t become a Premier player. Neither of them can do anything about their lack of experience except play more; both of them show great quality potential at young ages - vision, time, confidence and calm under pressure. Having said that, I can understand why some think we need an older head to marshal our central defense atm, I don`t necessarily disagree. But I would like to see Jack and Zech as the regular CB`s as, given some more time together, they would bond well.

Were interested in Deji Oshilaja from Charlton according to one rumour site, always quite liked him,apart from the odd error. Could mean Tucker going to Charlton perhaps.

Were interested in Deji Oshilaja from Charlton according to one rumour site, always quite liked him,apart from the odd error. Could mean Tucker going to Charlton perhaps.
I think that shows lack of ambition but maybe could work if the Spotters pay a hefty fee.
When you look at the names in their squad, they should be ten points clear.

I realise that most people would consider Charlton a bigger club than GFC, but I truly think that Jack (& GFC) could do a lot better than him simply hopping intra-division. If he goes, it should be at least to a Championship team and the fee should reflect that upscale calibre. Not sure about having Oshi back, he`s not that tall and if he ends up paired in the middle with Ogi we could come up a tad short..

So the New Year Cull starts tomorrow

Evans's list is probably Maghoma, Willock, Akinde, MacDonald , Mellis probably not formally transfer listed but the word 'put out there'
and the loanee pairs from both Coventry and Arsenal preferably to go back

Evans loves a merry-go-round; probably we will end of still with 5/6 of the above 10 ; with 3/4 coming in

The big risk to us is someone taking Graham (for a fee); maybe his recent injury may help avoid that .

What would of course be best is if Evans/Rayner were to get a better offer. I suspect the above long list of poss culls is partly for Evans to convince those who might offer him a job that he's been doing a great job with the crap players he has here - and someone might fall for that (hopefully)

What would of course be best is if Evans/Rayner were to get a better offer. I suspect the above long list of poss culls is partly for Evans to convince those who might offer him a job that he's been doing a great job with the crap players he has here - and someone might fall for that (hopefully)

Not a fan of our most successful manager in 15 years (except JED) then Bronco?

Jeez, I'm no fan of SE coming in but if you think in the current climate with our limited resources, income and therefore budget we'd be better off with another manager you really do need your head read. I think we'd be only heading South if SE was to leave in the near future.

We've seen what our past few managers have achieved in terms of bringing players in using the loan market, none have come close to some of the signings SE has made. Granted some haven't worked, but we probably wouldn't even be able to attract those in the last 10 years, let alone attract the ones that have worked out.

Last edited:
Not a fan of our most successful manager in 15 years (except JED) then Bronco?
I would argue that other managers have done just as well as Evans over the last 15 years.While I don't agree with Bronco I think you are over selling Steve Evans.
Winning 7 drawing 3 and losing 11 since the start of October in all competitions is hardly anything to brag about.

Last edited:
I would argue that other managers have done just as well as Evans over the last 15 years.While I don't agree with Bronco I think you are over selling Steve Evans.
Winning 7 drawing 3 and losing 11 since the start of October in all competitions is hardly anything to brag about.

Chris, every manager prior to SE (JED excepted) had us in and around the relegation zone at best in L1. Lovell managed to get us to 13th, but we all know that was just a good run in the last month or 2 of the season and we still only finished a couple of games above relegation. We were a defeat or 2 from the relegation spots all season.

Under SE for a year and a half we have been constantly mid-table and always looking capable of going higher not lower.

Which other manager since we dropped out of the Championship has got us mid-table or better in League 1?

Not sure that's the point Chris. Look at what Evans has achieved in the short time he's been with us. We're a solid mid-table side who can beat anyone on our day. That's a massive improvement on flirting with relegation every year.

Perfect summation.