Transfer Window - January 2021 | Page 29 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - January 2021

Jose said the other day that if transfers were difficult due to restrictions then clubs will have to use their academies.....or words to that effect.
He also said our problem is that our best players are under 18 !!
That's a bit of a kick in the bollox for Cirkin, Marsh, Roles, Parrot, Clarke etc.
Devine and Scarlett I know are promising from the under 18s.
I kind of agree with you, but may be that is what Jose is trying to do. I don't think anyone can doubt Harvey White potential or Skip.

You have to have a way of finding out though. There are no U21's on our bench and barely any U23's in the entire 1st team setup, even with 9 subs.

Next season is the big test. Mourinho would have been around these younger guys for a couple of years. 3 of our 1st team loanees could easily leave and our own young loanees will come back to WHL. We'll find out whether our lack of true youngsters in the 1st team squad will become a permanent state under Jose, or whether it was just a short term consequence of the squad mix that he inherited.

Thinking back to the great managers like Fergie, there were always youngsters involved in successful squads.
I understand your pessimism mutley looking back at Jose record, but other than his time at Porto he's been at clubs that have had deep pockets and have demanded instant success. So why would you risk your job on youngsters when you can buy proven quality, let us be honest who would really care about youngsters if we could go out and by KDB or or VVD and won the CL and the league.
Jose IMO knows he can't go out and buy success, and IMO so far he's doing OK. He's given First team debut to two 16yr olds this season, no other manager I can recall has done that. I recall one Europa game where I think we had 5 players on the pitch 21 and under, again I don't recall any other manager doing that.

Until the fundamentals of the players improves...quality passing, receiving...especially in the final third...actually moving off the ball...not just standing around waiting for something...nothing will change, it doesn't matter.

Our players are fine...they just don't play the right way in my opinion. (and that is my bash on the coaching staff)

Of course we can do better and need to continually bring in new players to keep the squad fresh and foster competition at all positions...

Again kind of proved my case today...fundamentally SHITE

What treatment?

The treatment I refer to is Dele getting treated so differently to others in the squad. If say Moura has a shocker, which he regularly does, then he'll be straight back in the match day squad. Dele has mostly played well when given a chance and then just gets dropped straight after. Dele's had <10% pitch time even though he's been fit >90%.

I actually hope Dele gets a move this week. The tipping point has been reached. Whatever altercation they had, Jose clearly can't get past it and is failing in his duty as our manager to get the best out of his player. He's also wasting Levy's money by paying him a salary and not using him.

I understand your pessimism mutley looking back at Jose record, but other than his time at Porto he's been at clubs that have had deep pockets and have demanded instant success. So why would you risk your job on youngsters when you can buy proven quality, let us be honest who would really care about youngsters if we could go out and by KDB or or VVD and won the CL and the league.
Jose IMO knows he can't go out and buy success, and IMO so far he's doing OK. He's given First team debut to two 16yr olds this season, no other manager I can recall has done that. I recall one Europa game where I think we had 5 players on the pitch 21 and under, again I don't recall any other manager doing that.

Well Jose does like a record so nobody should be surprised that he threw in a couple of 16 year olds into dead rubbers. It's what he does next with them is what is important.

As for our other managers, just think back to what ages Kane, Dele, Bentaleb, Davies, Dier, Eriksen, Mason, Walker, Lamela etc were when they were first quite prominent in our first team setup. Spurs have never been shy using the U21's and all our ex managers have given guys a go in their managerial stints. They didn't get 9 subs either to have the best of both worlds.

Saying that, we need to be patient and find out with Jose whether he will eventually shape the squad to include more U23's. He may not create the monster like he did at Utd where over 50% of the squad were in the 28 and over category. He may do it the Spurs way given time.

Well Jose does like a record so nobody should be surprised that he threw in a couple of 16 year olds into dead rubbers. It's what he does next with them is what is important.

As for our other managers, just think back to what ages Kane, Dele, Bentaleb, Davies, Dier, Eriksen, Mason, Walker, Lamela etc were when they were first quite prominent in our first team setup. Spurs have never been shy using the U21's and all our ex managers have given guys a go in their managerial stints. They didn't get 9 subs either to have the best of both worlds.

Saying that, we need to be patient and find out with Jose whether he will eventually shape the squad to include more U23's. He may not create the monster like he did at Utd where over 50% of the squad were in the 28 and over category. He may do it the Spurs way given time.
I take your points, but I think just for the sake of balance we need to look at where we were as far as our league position and aspirations. Eriksen was a full international and was being chased by half of Europe, we paid close to 30m for Lamela and he was a full international as was Davies.
I also think you need to look at the quality of First team squad then compared to now, I get the resentment towards Jose. For years he's been a hate figure for most Spus fans, IMO that makes it hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I would also point out that apart from his injuries Japhet would be a regular starter IMO.

The treatment I refer to is Dele getting treated so differently to others in the squad. If say Moura has a shocker, which he regularly does, then he'll be straight back in the match day squad. Dele has mostly played well when given a chance and then just gets dropped straight after. Dele's had <10% pitch time even though he's been fit >90%.

I actually hope Dele gets a move this week. The tipping point has been reached. Whatever altercation they had, Jose clearly can't get past it and is failing in his duty as our manager to get the best out of his player. He's also wasting Levy's money by paying him a salary and not using him.
For me if a manager doesn't trust a player to carry out his instructions he's not going to pick him, IMO that is something I don't believe is exclusive to Jose. It truly breaks my heart to see Dele like this, but he's clearly not doing what's asked of him. Jose has shown with Tanguy that if you adapt he will play you.

For me if a manager doesn't trust a player to carry out his instructions he's not going to pick him, IMO that is something I don't believe is exclusive to Jose. It truly breaks my heart to see Dele like this, but he's clearly not doing what's asked of him. Jose has shown with Tanguy that if you adapt he will play you.

I'd love to agree with you on Tanganga, but I don't. Jose's recent interview when he called him a "utility defender" and implied that he wasn't necessarily a centre half was quite telling.

My guess is that if Jose was put in a position where he couldn't censor the media on Dele and had to engage in an honest conversation on him, he would find it a very tough line of questioning. He probably doesn't have good answers himself as my guess is that some of it is nothing to do with football. It's as much about a personality clash and even bias.

What is intriguing is that Ndombele mostly didn't do what was asked of him. It's great to see, but he has totally refused to compromise the way he plays football and he has prevailed over his manager. All that has happened is Jose now accommodates that passing and moving in tight areas and he lets him play a risk and reward game. Where Ndombele has compromised was more shutting down in higher areas. Dele did that with his eyes shut anyway but needed to do less flicks and tricks in deeper areas. It could have been so different for Dele in my opinion had Jose applied his managerial talents to him.

I'd love to agree with you on Tanganga, but I don't. Jose's recent interview when he called him a "utility defender" and implied that he wasn't necessarily a centre half was quite telling.

My guess is that if Jose was put in a position where he couldn't censor the media on Dele and had to engage in an honest conversation on him, he would find it a very tough line of questioning. He probably doesn't have good answers himself as my guess is that some of it is nothing to do with football. It's as much about a personality clash and even bias.

What is intriguing is that Ndombele mostly didn't do what was asked of him. It's great to see, but he has totally refused to compromise the way he plays football and he has prevailed over his manager. All that has happened is Jose now accommodates that passing and moving in tight areas and he lets him play a risk and reward game. Where Ndombele has compromised was more shutting down in higher areas. Dele did that with his eyes shut anyway but needed to do less flicks and tricks in deeper areas. It could have been so different for Dele in my opinion had Jose applied his managerial talents to him.
I see your trane of thought, it's hard to know what has happened between them as I have no doubt Jose was counting on Dele when he arrived.
As for Jose comments personally I pay very little attention to them as I don't believe that for the most part they have anything to do with what he's really thinking

And yet, even that player whom the manager now seems to trust, is not quite as Happy as a Clam as most would seem to presume. Some interesting stuff there!

I'm stickin with the "There's been BadJuJu in that dressing room for some time, and it is getting worse" position on all of this. Gonna end badly all'round methinks.

We're being linked with Di Maria now (aged 32) can't see it myself.

If you look at it like a swappy-deal for one of our guys, for say like the rest of the season....

Someone is trying to really push a particular button, and it will get REALLY interesting if Zazu flies.

And yet, even that player whom the manager now seems to trust, is not quite as Happy as a Clam as most would seem to presume. Some interesting stuff there!

I'm stickin with the "There's been BadJuJu in that dressing room for some time, and it is getting worse" position on all of this. Gonna end badly all'round methinks.

Dele is childish. He plays practical jokes, he messes about. He doesn't train hard enough. He has not been performing. He has been wasteful on the ball. As a fellow pro in the dressing room I would not have much respect for him.
I would tell him to grow up and take the job seriously or leave.