Transfer Window - January 2021 | Page 28 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - January 2021

Until the fundamentals of the players improves...quality passing, receiving...especially in the final third...actually moving off the ball...not just standing around waiting for something...nothing will change, it doesn't matter.

Our players are fine...they just don't play the right way in my opinion. (and that is my bash on the coaching staff)

Of course we can do better and need to continually bring in new players to keep the squad fresh and foster competition at all positions...

I think Ex gave us the % figures of players making it from academy level and Spurs were high up on the success rate. Tanganga and Skipp are the latest to stand a chance of making it big. Carrol and Pritchard seem to have fallen away. CCV may yet do it. Parrott is struggling but it could be a growing up issue. Winks came through and although not a top 4 player he is PL level IMO.

You have to have a way of finding out though. There are no U21's on our bench and barely any U23's in the entire 1st team setup, even with 9 subs.

Next season is the big test. Mourinho would have been around these younger guys for a couple of years. 3 of our 1st team loanees could easily leave and our own young loanees will come back to WHL. We'll find out whether our lack of true youngsters in the 1st team squad will become a permanent state under Jose, or whether it was just a short term consequence of the squad mix that he inherited.

Thinking back to the great managers like Fergie, there were always youngsters involved in successful squads.

Just seen how Ancelotti managed Everton v Sheff Wed. Start with strong 11, game in bag, 75 mins 2 kids on, 85 mins another 2 young uns.

Peeps say we need to save players for big games. My view is Ancelotti way! Bag the game. That's exactly how Fergie brought on the kids, the only difference being one or two got a better look in with time. Ours just get loaned off or back to the kindergarten!

Need to maintain some sort of continuity. We all know what happens when you make wholesale changes. We play like a bunch of strangers any way, why exacerbate the situation?.

Just seen how Ancelotti managed Everton v Sheff Wed. Start with strong 11, game in bag, 75 mins 2 kids on, 85 mins another 2 young uns.

Peeps say we need to save players for big games. My view is Ancelotti way! Bag the game. That's exactly how Fergie brought on the kids, the only difference being one or two got a better look in with time. Ours just get loaned off or back to the kindergarten!

Need to maintain some sort of continuity. We all know what happens when you make wholesale changes. We play like a bunch of strangers any way, why exacerbate the situation?.
It's easier for Ancelotti though. Everton have no European football to contend with and exited the Carabao at the quarters.

I think Ex gave us the % figures of players making it from academy level and Spurs were high up on the success rate. Tanganga and Skipp are the latest to stand a chance of making it big. Carrol and Pritchard seem to have fallen away. CCV may yet do it. Parrott is struggling but it could be a growing up issue. Winks came through and although not a top 4 player he is PL level IMO.

It takes a long time to build a pipeline of players that is a step above what we have; I am now aware of 9 kids that have been signed up by Spurs from our local academies and every kid had the chance to sign for two clubs who you'd have traditionally rated above us.

That's the measurement of our effective progress as a club; win something and that will be another show of progress that can make us London's No.1. pick by parents and kids.

Last edited:
It's easier for Ancelotti though. Everton have no European football to contend with and exited the Carabao at the quarters.
I get that Gary. BUT... We've had a full week's rest and some will require getting up to speed.....hope none have been indulging in deliveroo feasts!. So for key players this could be a nice warmup match. Get the job done and sub them.

I'm shocked they've pulled the trigger so quickly on Lampard. They spent over £200m in the summer signing up some of Europe's best, young attacking talent. Those players will take time to find their way in PL. He's also brought on a lot of very good homegrown youngsters. I thought he had a very good first season last year and deserved at least one more full year.

I'm shocked they've pulled the trigger so quickly on Lampard. They spent over £200m in the summer signing up some of Europe's best, young attacking talent. Those players will take time to find their way in PL. He's also brought on a lot of very good homegrown youngsters. I thought he had a very good first season last year and deserved at least one more full year.

Yes, but pound for pound Chelsea are massively underachieving.

Way too much chopping and changing from Frank, especially with the number 9 shirt.

Instating old man Thiaho Silva as 1st choice when he has no Prem experience was a dumb move as well.

Then sticking a "run around a lot" merchant like Mount in the key number 10 role was totally naive. Too early for him in his development.

Yes, but pound for pound Chelsea are massively underachieving.

Way too much chopping and changing from Frank, especially with the number 9 shirt.

Instating old man Thiaho Silva as 1st choice when he has no Prem experience was a dumb move as well.

Then sticking a "run around a lot" merchant like Mount in the key number 10 role was totally naive. Too early for him in his development.
Mistakes aplenty this season. Agreed. But he's a young manager with a very young team. Give him time to learn from his mistakes and for the players to find their way. Or what was the point of his appointment in the first place? My gut feeling is that he will make a very good manager at some point. I'm glad it's not at Chelsea though.

Not achieving CL football on top of covid will put their finances under huge pressure, spending that much money and not doing that is unthinkable for the Russian crook.

Not achieving CL football on top of covid will put their finances under huge pressure, spending that much money and not doing that is unthinkable for the Russian crook.
If they wanted success in the here and now they should have targeted PL-ready players or older, maturer overseas players. Any manager would be challenged to achieve instant success with such an array of youth and inexperience in the PL. However talented.

Gary it probably is about the amount of dosh he has spent, simple as that.

This is why I am bemused by Poch's appointment at PSG, albeit he's on an 18 months contract. Also, I always thought his idea of project(s) will never work at the likes of Barca, RM, United, Chelsea etc, where they 'demand' instant results/trophies.

The key sentence for me.....

New PSG boss Mauricio Pochettino is keen on bringing Alli to the club, with Romano claiming that he ahead of Christian Eriksen in terms of favourable new signings for the former Spurs boss.

Poch clearly going back to buying players with most of their career still in front of them. I'll be sad to see Dele leave, but will be chuffed to bits for him to see his career resumed after the Jose treatment.
What treatment?