Transfer Window - January 2021 | Vital Football

Transfer Window - January 2021

It'll be a quiet window for us. We've only one position to fill, it's getting our man that's proving the problem. I reckon we'll see movement over the course of the summer. For now we'll just have to grin & bare it (ref. the shipping of goals).

Can't see any new signings for this season. Just some sales.

Hopefully we get a first 11 CB signed up for next season.

Rumours of Gedson going back in January.

You could imagine his return being a part of our dealings with Benfica this past window.

He's a very talented player, and in the right role, could be a real asset for us. If Sissoko were in need of replacement (he could go any window), Gedson could be that guy. Hence he's still here. But he's also overpriced now due to COVID, so shrewd move by DL would be to send him back, and go get him later at a new market price.

Whatever happens with him, won't affect our future biz from a monetary standpoint anyway.

It's quite simple the way I see it. The club that stands still in the transfer market goes backwards on the pitch. We've had a decent window and at least now have a mostly balanced squad. We now have to keep dealing as finances permit.

These need to leave, mostly for their own good - Gazza, CCV, Rose, Foyth, Georgiou, Sterling, Tracey, Roles. You could add Gedson to that list as well if Jose is going to continue his preference to other players.

Ultimately, these need looking at

Aurier - last 2 years of contract and still very hit and miss
Toby - his best years are behind him
Sanchez - age, ability and wavelength with our better players
Moura - no real output and would generate a decent fee still
Lamela - contract status, age and injury record.

They can't all leave in one window, but do need to be gradually churned, even with a couple of the younger players we have at the club.

It's never good policy to let these players get into the last 2 years of their contract. You could offer him a 4 year deal now taking him to 31/32. I think I'd prefer the money and buy Aarons to compete with Doherty.

I have been watching Serge with a critical eye for a while and although he played well for a couple of games recently, he reverted to the norm against spam.

You could imagine his return being a part of our dealings with Benfica this past window.

He's a very talented player, and in the right role, could be a real asset for us. If Sissoko were in need of replacement (he could go any window), Gedson could be that guy. Hence he's still here. But he's also overpriced now due to COVID, so shrewd move by DL would be to send him back, and go get him later at a new market price.

Whatever happens with him, won't affect our future biz from a monetary standpoint anyway.

I would rather Jose put his faith in Gedson. He has a high ceiling potential. We know what Sissoko is, average.

Jose has got this one wrong IMO.

It's quite simple the way I see it. The club that stands still in the transfer market goes backwards on the pitch. We've had a decent window and at least now have a mostly balanced squad. We now have to keep dealing as finances permit.

These need to leave, mostly for their own good - Gazza, CCV, Rose, Foyth, Georgiou, Sterling, Tracey, Roles. You could add Gedson to that list as well if Jose is going to continue his preference to other players.

Ultimately, these need looking at

Aurier - last 2 years of contract and still very hit and miss
Toby - his best years are behind him
Sanchez - age, ability and wavelength with our better players
Moura - no real output and would generate a decent fee still
Lamela - contract status, age and injury record.

They can't all leave in one window, but do need to be gradually churned, even with a couple of the younger players we have at the club.

I would hope we sell the older squad players that you mention and then look at bringing in the best young British players. Hopefully Rodon is that level.

Should we sell Aurier ? His contract is due for review with it ending in 2022 ?

Traditionally, you get to the 2 years left mark and we either take up our option for a 1 year extention (all our players have that in their contracts), give them a new deal, or sell them.

Traditionally, you get to the 2 years left mark and we either take up our option for a 1 year extention (all our players have that in their contracts), give them a new deal, or sell them.
Weren't we willing to let him go in the summer if the right offer came in and it was a club/package which he and his advisers were happy with?

Weren't we willing to let him go in the summer if the right offer came in and it was a club/package which he and his advisers were happy with?

Yep, that's as it was, personally I think Jose is getting the best out of him and unless we have a far better player linned up, I'd rather keep hold of him for now, unless of course that position is planned for Japhet - in which case, I'd let him go.

Yep, that's as it was, personally I think Jose is getting the best out of him and unless we have a far better player linned up, I'd rather keep hold of him for now, unless of course that position is planned for Japhet - in which case, I'd let him go.

It is also about combinations. Our left side looked like it could retain possession and get up the pitch in recent games. Our right side looked like it would concede possession much more and has been stumbling somewhat. There's also been dangerous free kicks conceded in our right channel.

In my opinion, it is hard for Aurier to get some form with Sissoko inside him and one of Moura or Bergwijn ahead. We also know that Toby isn't the quickest and Sanchez has lost his form. The right side isn't anywhere near comparable to Reguilon up and down, Ndombele scheming and Son scaring defences.

It's not easy for Aurier or Doherty, but perhaps as we see Gio return and Bale get more integrated the RB role will become simpler.

I am still of the opinion that Aarons would thrive more than Aurier though. So much more natural talent there.

...[snip]

It's not easy for Aurier or Doherty, but perhaps as we see Gio return and Bale get more integrated the RB role will become simpler.

I am still of the opinion that Aarons would thrive more than Aurier though. So much more natural talent there.

If the player had taken one of the many options put in front of him (Damn him! :stab:), then I beleive the plan was to replace him with Aarons.

I do not believe the primary plan was for Serge to be here at the window close.

If the player had taken one of the many options put in front of him (Damn him! :stab:), then I beleive the plan was to replace him with Aarons.

I do not believe the primary plan was for Serge to be here at the window close.

You're probably correct but all being said i'm glad we still have him. He's definitely improved under Mourinho's stewardship.