Transfer Targets 2021/22 Season | Page 4 | Vital Football

Transfer Targets 2021/22 Season

He was mentioned before the Jan transfer window along with Lingard, when mathematically we had a chance to stay up, in reality they were never serious targets, And the Prince pulled the plug anyway on any deals.

Obviously we couldn't compete with those wages, 60k for Davies is crackers and Lingard is on six figures a week. A few PNE lads have been talked about for a few windows now, the Johnson admiration even goes back to his loan at Oldham. The one PNE player we signed flopped.

Mathmatically we had a chance deep into the season and there were pockets of optimism, but ten games in we knew we were done for. Even Wilder did, handing his resignation in after the tripe he served up at Southampton.

Last edited:
With

Obviously we couldn't compete with those wages, 60k for Davies is crackers and Lingard is on six figures a week. A few PNE lads have been talked about for a few windows now, the Johnson admiration even goes back to his loan at Oldham. The one PNE player we signed flopped.

Mathmatically we had a chance deep into the season and there were pockets of optimism, but ten games in we knew we were done for. Even Wilder did, handing his resignation in after the tripe he served up at Southampton.

Thankfully Bassett didn't throw in the towel after a poor start and had a squad that dug in an survived. Certainly poses a few questions about our current squad, first downturn in results and they collapse like a pack of cards. Hopefully JS can eradicate that mentality quickly as his teams are known for slow starts. All about opinions as usual.

What do you think about this video looking at the pros and cons of Tom Cairney? The local press seem to really think there's some momentum behind this rumour

Not keen on Cairney given the financial package. Might not be the same after the injury either. Add his age, and it just doesn't appear to be the sort of signing we should make. Don't need to take the risk.

Thankfully Bassett didn't throw in the towel after a poor start.

Bassett gave us two promotions and four top flight seasons, only ended by a bent game at Goodison and not having Nathan Blake a month earlier. He did all that with Reg giving him a budget worth about a piece of string, two buttons and some sticky back plastic.

The football was rough at times, but Harry remains the best United manager during my tIme supporting them. He was no quitter.

Thankfully Bassett didn't throw in the towel after a poor start and had a squad that dug in an survived. Certainly poses a few questions about our current squad, first downturn in results and they collapse like a pack of cards. Hopefully JS can eradicate that mentality quickly as his teams are known for slow starts. All about opinions as usual.
I think the main difference between the two were bassetts side were genuinely unlucky I went to every game that season home and away and we had some awful bad luck (interspersed with some poor play at times Tracey parrying the ball out to Paul Walsh on 3 occasions to give him the easiest hat trick he would ever score springs to mind) last seasons team wasn’t unlucky they stopped doing what they had done the 4 previous seasons that had got them to where they were for whatever reason I couldn’t say but they weren’t the same side and when bassetts teams luck changed they went on that run that we all knew they could only arsenal had a better second half to that season and they ended up champions

I think the main difference between the two were bassetts side were genuinely unlucky I went to every game that season home and away and we had some awful bad luck (interspersed with some poor play at times Tracey parrying the ball out to Paul Walsh on 3 occasions to give him the easiest hat trick he would ever score springs to mind) last seasons team wasn’t unlucky they stopped doing what they had done the 4 previous seasons that had got them to where they were for whatever reason I couldn’t say but they weren’t the same side and when bassetts teams luck changed they went on that run that we all knew they could only arsenal had a better second half to that season and they ended up champions

Bassett collected a squad of misfits and moulded them into a team with a defined way of of playing, CW did the same. The difference in my opinion is when the results took a downturn Bassetts team dug deeper and turned it around CW's players just couldn't deal with a relegation scrap, that was a combination of manager/coaches and the players, not bad luck, VAR or lack of crowds just lack of bottle. Luck is used too much for me were we lucky to have success for four years no it was down to hard work and graft and a sprinkle of quality, last season it disappeared into the wind.

Bassett gave us two promotions and four top flight seasons, only ended by a bent game at Goodison and not having Nathan Blake a month earlier. He did all that with Reg giving him a budget worth about a piece of string, two buttons and some sticky back plastic.

The football was rough at times, but Harry remains the best United manager during my tIme supporting them. He was no quitter.

Both Bassett and CW gave us enjoyable seasons and I will remember them fondly, but nothing lasts forever. We were relegated under Bassett at Chelsea I was there but it didn't come down to one result we didn't collect enough points over the season and we had the same scenario under Warnock. I never look for excuses Tevez or bribes, bottom line is our failings were down to ourselves, they have been done to death so I won't list them.
Not long ago CW was being named as our best manager of all time, I didn't agree, but I won't diminish the success and enjoyment he brought to the fans and the club, that mentality I don't get.

The Blades’ hopes of keeping Sander Berge at Bramall Lane could be boosted by news that prospective suitors Arsenal have been linked with a move for Wolverhampton Wanderers’ Ruben Neves.

I'd imagine Neves having played over 100 games in the Premiership compared to Berge's 29 would be a factor as well as being injury free. Possibly the 35m could be a stumbling block as well.

Norway failing to qualify for the Euros is a double edged sword where Berge's concerned.

If we wanted to sell there's only the WC that's a bigger shop room floor for showcasing players and boosting their value. If we want to keep him, great, out of sight out of mind.

I personally think a season in the Champ could be the making of him in English football.

Premier League transfer window open for 12 weeks from June 9 until August 31

Let the fun begin, business done early, late, in, out it's going to be interesting we hope.

Norway failing to qualify for the Euros is a double edged sword where Berge's concerned.

If we wanted to sell there's only the WC that's a bigger shop room floor for showcasing players and boosting their value. If we want to keep him, great, out of sight out of mind.

I personally think a season in the Champ could be the making of him in English football.
I think Berge will be a good player for us but only if he has better quality around him in midfield. The problem is without his sale i fear that Slav will be working off scraps in the transfer market.
I know it has been said before but the sale of Mcburnie and possibly Baldock could net £20 million and we need that money.
Hopefully Sericki, Brunt, Jebbison, Ndiaye and Gordon keep improving and get into the first team squad. Without more significant investment they are our best hope to try and consolidate our future Premiership status.

I think Berge will be a good player for us but only if he has better quality around him in midfield. The problem is without his sale i fear that Slav will be working off scraps in the transfer market.
I know it has been said before but the sale of Mcburnie and possibly Baldock could net £20 million and we need that money.
Hopefully Sericki, Brunt, Jebbison, Ndiaye and Gordon keep improving and get into the first team squad. Without more significant investment they are our best hope to try and consolidate our future Premiership status.

I'm a bit wary of counting on generating a war chest from Berge, he's had a serious injury, tendon ripped off the bone. Imagine clubs will be treading carefully before parting with serious cash. He may be here until he proves he's over it. As for McBurnie and Baldock they are sitting on good contracts so they don't have to move, Bettis said they had relegation clauses in the contracts is it 50% cut, who knows, would be concerning if that information could be easily accessed from the club.
I'm pretty sure SJ is tasked with promotion being a priority, convinced he will go for experience over youth, but hopefully one or two of the youngsters might give him something to think about.

I'm a bit wary of counting on generating a war chest from Berge, he's had a serious injury, tendon ripped off the bone. Imagine clubs will be treading carefully before parting with serious cash. He may be here until he proves he's over it. As for McBurnie and Baldock they are sitting on good contracts so they don't have to move, Bettis said they had relegation clauses in the contracts is it 50% cut, who knows, would be concerning if that information could be easily accessed from the club.
I'm pretty sure SJ is tasked with promotion being a priority, convinced he will go for experience over youth, but hopefully one or two of the youngsters might give him something to think about.
I agree I meant the youngsters for the future not next season. What happens if we are promoted we have to stop being a yo yo club. I think the loan market will be used more than permanents.

Not flogging Jebbison and Gordon could be the best bit of business we've done this past two years.

From Bettis' interview the focus is going to be on consolidating what we've got and building on it with some loans. That may change if we start selling and have more to spend.

I've thought right from the off Berge would be most effective in a double pivot with a #10 in front of him. The wide box to box role was just two undefined for him. He's a player who needs to be in the middle invading pockets of space, winning the ball and driving the play from deep.

Baldock is still only 28. I'd keep him. Bogle is nothing like as good defensively. I'd sell him instead if we could get £7m ish.

Baldock is still only 28. I'd keep him. Bogle is nothing like as good defensively. I'd sell him instead if we could get £7m ish.
I think we could get more for Bogle, maybe £10 million. When he first broke into the team i thought we have a potential star player but the last part of the season his form really dropped off. We need to generate some money to sort that poor midfield out so either for £10 million would do me.

Wouldn't be against selling Bogle either, for the right fee with a good sell on clause.

But again, he seems exactly the type to be favoured be Jokanovic.