Summer 2019 Transfer target speculation and fantasies | Vital Football

Summer 2019 Transfer target speculation and fantasies

Spursex

Alert Team
I intend to keep this new Fresh transfer speculation thread pinned here in this section so that anyone can post speculative media nonsense about intended targets so that as we head towards the summer window, when apparently, believe or not, we will supposedly be digging deep down the back of the settee/couch/under Levy's desk to actually find some spare change to find enough money for a cast off or two....

Don't hold your breath.

Spurs line up James Maddison as replacement for Christian Eriksen
Gary Jacob
February 7 2019, 12:01am, The Times
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F3dfb12b4-2a54-11e9-a92b-e57f23e07fe4.jpg

Eriksen has attracted interest from several of the world’s biggest clubs

Tottenham Hotspur are preparing for the possibility of Christian Eriksen leaving this summer and have watched James Maddison with a view to him replacing the Denmark midfielder.

Eriksen will enter the final year of his contract in July and has attracted interest from several of the world’s biggest clubs, including Real Madrid. Tottenham have been in contract talks with the 26-year-old since the end of last season but they are at an impasse and the club will not allow him to run down his deal and leave as a free agent the following summer. He could be worth more than £60 million.

Maddison, 22, has impressed in his first season at Leicester City, where he has scored five and created four goals in the league. However, Tottenham’s interest in him dates back to when he was a teenager at Coventry City from 2013 to 2016. Tottenham scouts watched him many times and he was earmarked to follow in the footsteps of Dele Alli, the midfielder who moved from MK Dons, then in League One, to Tottenham and went on to play for England.

Tottenham were unsure about Coventry City asking £7 million for Maddison and Norwich City paid about £3 million for him. He has since played for England Under-21 and moved to Leicester for £22 million last summer. Leicester would probably want at least twice as much.

Tottenham have been watching Eberechi Eze, the 20-year-old Queens Park Rangers and England Under-20 midfielder. They have not bought a player in the past two transfer windows but are expected to try to sign a centre back and wide player this summer. Joachim Andersen, the 22-year-old Danish defender, has been linked with Spurs but wants to stay with Sampdoria.

Hero!

I was going to post about James Maddison.

Given the choice of him or Brooks I would rather Brooks.

Both would cost upwards of £40 million now.

We should avoid trying to replace Eriksen with a like for like player, it rarely works.

The only way to really mitigate a departure of a player of Eriksen's caliber is bringing in world class players to imrpove our 11. Get 2-3 top players in positions we are severely lacking in - N'dombele, Neves, Bissaka - and then we can start talking about young players who might step in Eriksen's boot.

Well I'd like us to take a risk on Brookes and Bruno Fernandes of Sporting Lisbon who looks like about as close an Ericksen copy as I've seen.

My wish list should Toby and Chris depart
Wan Bissaka
Stones
Neves
Brookes
Maddison

Promote Troy to shadow Harry

https://thisisfutbol.com/2019/02/blogs/premier-league/spurs-fans-react-to-maddison-link/

With the future of Christian Eriksen very much in the balance, thoughts among the Tottenham hierarchy have turned to finding a replacement during the summer window. The Times have claimed in a detailed update that talks with Eriksen over a new contract to replace the current expiring in the summer of 2020 have reached an “impasse” and a summer sale for a fee in the region of £60million is very much on the cards. Spurs are said to be lining up a move for Leicester City’s James Maddison – a playmaker they have trailed for six years – to replace the Danish star. Maddison has made a decent fist of his debut Premier League campaign after signing from Norwich City last summer, but many Tottenham fans are unimpressed. They claim the 22-year-old isn’t fit to tie the shoelaces of one of the best creators in the world, with one supporter pointing out quite beautifully that signing him as a replacement for Eriksen would be “like replacing your Porsche with a skateboard”.

Tottenham star Christian Eriksen has already decided on move amid Real Madrid links

TOTTENHAM star Christian Eriksen has “already decided” he wants to leave for a club such as Real Madrid - but James Maddison is not the level of replacement required - according to Andy Townsend.
By Charlie Malam
PUBLISHED: 06:01, Fri, Feb 8, 2019 | UPDATED: 07:32, Fri, Feb 8, 2019

Eriksen could move to Barcelona or Real Madrid says expert

Spurs have been in contact with the Danish play-maker over his future in north London for over a year but there has been little progress.

As it stands, Eriksen will enter this summer with just 12 months left on his deal and Spurs will have to sell the 26-year-old to avoid his value declining. He could command over £60million in July and August, but that fee would fall beyond that.
Eriksen has been linked to a host of European clubs, including Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Paris Saint-Germain, but Real Madrid are understood to coveting the Ajax academy graduate alongside their ambitions to recruit Eden Hazard from Chelsea.

Eriksen recently told TV3 Sport: "I think people know what I want, and I know what they [Tottenham] would like. There is a nice dialogue so there is nothing [new] there."
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...-Solskjaer-Mauricio-Pochettino-Tottenham-news
But iconic co-commentator and ex-Chelsea midfielder Townsend thinks Eriksen’s mind is already made up, and he sees him self elsewhere.
“I think the player has already decided he’s going to go. I think he’s going to go,” Townsend told The Debate on Sky Sports.
“Once a player gets to this point, I don’t think you’re playing contract poker with the club. I think you’ve already made your decision of what you’re doing.
“I think Eriksen has enjoyed his time with Spurs and yes there is a new dawn around the corner with the new stadium etc. etc.
Christian-Eriksen-1084249.jpg

Christian Eriksen could leave Spurs this summer (Image: GETTY)
Christian-Eriksen-1728732.jpg

Christian Eriksen's contract expires in June 2020 (Image: GETTY)
I think he’s going to go
Andy Townsend​
“But you’re always going to get one or two that are going to come out of there. I think he’ll be the first one to go.”

Recent reports have indicated that Leicester City’s James Maddison is on the radar of Mauricio Pochettino.

The England international - who has five goals and four assists for the Foxes in the Premier League - only joined Leicester last summer for £22m.

It is believed Maddison could command twice as much as that if he is to leave the King Power Stadium.

But Townsend thinks Spurs should be shopping for a higher calibre No 10 to replace Eriksen with.

He added: “I like James Maddison. He’s come in and adapted very well to life in the Premier League.
“He’s shown he can finish, he’s very good with his set plays, he’s clever. Is he in Eriksen’s class? No, he’s a mile away from that.
“He’s got a lot to do before he can be even in the same breath as Eriksen. But he’s younger and he’s a developing player.

James-Maddison-1728734.jpg

James Maddison is apparently Spurs' No 1 Eriksen replacement (Image: GETTY)
Christian-Eriksen-1728733.jpg

Christian Eriksen is said to be on the radars of numerous top European clubs (Image: GETTY)
Related articles

“It’s the type of player Pochettino has an interest in, he likes those sort of guys he can improve and add to their repertoire.

“I get the point of it but I don’t think he can operate at Eriksen’s level.”
Transfer expert Ian McGarry, meanwhile, claims Barca are particularly keen on Denmark international Eriksen.

He told the Transfer Window Podcast: “Barcelona have already made contact with his representatives with regards to taking about a deal that would more than double his wages, which are currently around £67,000-per-week.

“He’s already turned down £110,000-per-week as well from Tottenham, I think he’d be looking at between £115,000 and £200,000, which in the current market I’d say he’s worth every penny.

“Barcelona are interested, of course you’ve always got to mention Real Madrid because they’re in for every decent player and, again, I go back to Bayern Munich’s need for a central midfielder, a creative midfielder - they’re looking at [Adrien] Rabiot as well.”

Eriksen / Coutinho straight swap deal is being mooted in some media outlets

He is the sort of replacement we should be looking at and wouldnt see a drop in standard and would send out a message.

I fear we will do it on the cheap as normal, if the above figures are correct and we are offering him 110k a week that backs it up.

There is so much negativity from Spurs fans on Twitter with regards Maddison. As much as I want Eriksen to sign a new contract if he does go I think Maddison is a great fit for us. Homegrown, Young but with premiership experience. I think we would take him to the next level.

It still feels too big an undertaking in one summer transfer window not to be unaffected on the pitch next season. It will be a test of Poch's management, if he sticks around, to shuffle the pack and get the same results.

For starters we would all expect Vorm, Nkoudou, Janssen, Llorente to leave. On top of that we might lose Toby and Eriksen, with most wanting one or both of Trippier or Aurier to make way for better, and Wanyama to be replaced with someone more robust. Then you have the younger players like CCV, Onomah, Edwards, Harrison, Sterling etc who will have admirers.

That sort of implies that we will see an exodus of 7-10 players and nobody knows what war chest that builds. If it only equates to zero net spending and a £100m transfer kitty then we're in trouble.

Personally, I'd love to see players like Brooks and Maddison come through the door. Wan-Bissaka or Max Aarons would be others. We might be able to make some of those deals work, something I'd never see us doing with guys like Neves, Ndombele, Coutinho, De Ligt etc. Sessegnon's an interesting one with only 18 months on his current contract and him stalling on signing.

There is so much negativity from Spurs fans on Twitter with regards Maddison. As much as I want Eriksen to sign a new contract if he does go I think Maddison is a great fit for us. Homegrown, Young but with premiership experience. I think we would take him to the next level.

Fans forget or have selective memories - when he first signed for us, I couldn't believe we'd got him - even then I thought he had the potential to be a top class player - but it didn't surprise me that he was also written off by so many in his first season as 'average'!!

He's improved no end, and who knows just how good Maddison could get?

I recall watching his Dad's Vlog on his progress and the interview Maddison gave where he made it clear he shunned big clubs (that's us!) as he wanted guaranteed football, so that he could develop....

That's a young man who has been well advised and has his head screwed on and who also looks to me like a player who has a lot of improvement still in him - will he reach Eriksens standard?

Given the impact he seems to have made since his move, I wouldn't bet against it.

Last edited:
Tottenham and Arsenal monitoring Matthias Ginter of Borussia Monchengladbach

By Lyall Thomas

Last Updated: 07/02/19 8:23pm

skysports-mattias-ginter-borussia-monchengladbach_4570983.jpg

Matthias Ginter is being tracked by Arsenal and Tottenham

Tottenham and Arsenal are monitoring Borussia Monchengladbach centre-back Matthias Ginter, according to Sky sources.

The 25-year-old is a Germany international with 23 caps and was on Spurs' radar before he joined Monchengladbach from Borussia Dortmund in 2017.

Both north London clubs are scouting for new centre-backs ahead of the summer and Ginter is among them, with question marks over the long-term futures of several of their current defenders.

Arsenal have shipped 36 goals so far this season - the most out of the top six clubs - and the likes of Shkodran Mustafi have struggled for their best form while others have been out injured.
Summer-signing Sokratis, who cost £17m from Dortmund, recently returned from a long spell out and has shown promise alongside 33-year-old Laurent Koscielny.
skysports-shkodran-mustafi_4557315.jpg

Shkodran Mustafi's Arsenal form has been questionable this season as the Gunners have shipped 36 goals

But, with Rob Holding also out long term, Emery has at times had to field either Nacho Monreal, Stephan Lichsteiner or Granit Xhaka at centre-back.
As Arsenal dropped to sixth in the table this week, they were criticised by their former double-winning player Emmanuel Petit for not entering the January transfer market for defensive reinforcements.

skysports-toby-aderweireld_4541581.jpg

Toby Alderweireld's £25m release clause will be active from this summer.
Spurs, meanwhile, recently triggered the one-year extensions in the contracts of Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld to keep them on board until 2020, but the latter has a clause that allows him to leave for just £25m this summer.
Ginter could be an option for them come the next transfer window, which is only four months away, while Sky Sports News reported in the autumn that Spurs have also been having a close look at the Bournemouth's Nathan Ake.

We have been linked to Ginter before havent we?

Im not sold on Ake, if he was at the level required Chelsea would be all over bringing him back.

They also ship goals for fun