Transfer rumors | Page 21 | Vital Football

Transfer rumors

If Newcastle are determined to get him off the wage bill they may need to lower that fee to allow clubs to subsidise the higher wages he will want.

We could always loan him again and then try for him on a free at the end of the season.

If Newcastle are determined to get him off the wage bill they may need to lower that fee to allow clubs to subsidise the higher wages he will want.

We could always loan him again and then try for him on a free at the end of the season.
They may even agree to top up his wages for the duration of a 3 year contract, if it could somehow work out cheaper than paying him in full for the last year of his contract.

Last edited:
Tom Lockyer from Bristol and Shankland from Ayr mooted in the NEP.
Sorry if its been posted before but i wondered if there was any rumour mill info on whether we are really in for them? Both young, both free agents.

They may even agree to top up his wages for the duration of a 3 year contract, if it could somehow work out cheaper than paying him in full for the last year of his contract.
There’s certainly previous for this kind of deal and Newcastle can’t be too choosy if they want rid. After all he has come to us twice in the last two seasons and nothing I have read suggests there was a raft of alternatives.

One potential fly in the ointment would be if Rafa left and the new manager liked him but I can’t see that happening.

Sorry if its been posted before but i wondered if there was any rumour mill info on whether we are really in for them? Both young, both free agents.
Shankland has been around for a while but as with Cummings, it's the level. Scottish Championship is around L1/2 level. Doesn't mean he can't cut it but it's likely he will need a greater timescale to get going than we are wanting.

We aren't really about long term these days.

Shankland has confirmed he is leaving for the Championship, but not to who. It would be a gamble I personally have no problem with.

Post has done an article on all players linked with us in the last year

https://www.nottinghampost.com/spor...08#ICID=Android_NottinghamPostNewApp_AppShare

I certainly wouldn’t mind us taking a gamble on a couple of up and comings but we also need to bring on some of our own.

Yates, Worrall, Appiah... if they are good enough now, start using them. If not then decisions need to be made quickly.

It’s encouraging that MoN is talking about not being just a physical team and I agree that we do need some physicality to our play but I will reserve opinion after the games he has had so far.

As for the 20 goal a season striker and goal scoring midfielder, we have one of the former and two or three of the latter if used right. Would be good to add to that but full backs and some creative talent is what I am looking to see come in.

Nice things cost money unfortunately, and he is one of the best midfielders in the league, particularly for passing accuracy.

Not actually as much as I imagined.

But I imagine this could be doable if we were able to ship out some others. Yates is crucial to this; his emergence means we can afford to dispense with Watson, Bridcutt and Yacob

I imagine that lot would pay for most or all of £35k a week easily were we able to ship them out. FFP wise we have probably been paying most or all of the £35k already anyway.

If we can ship them out being the big problem of course

Wages can't be looked at in isolation though. If we pay Colback 35K how long before Lolley, Carvalho etc come knocking at the door.

Unless revenue has taken an unexpected leap this feels top heavy.

His passing should be accurate as they rarely go further than 10 yards.

Scottish Championship (I think we've been there before) and a guy released from Bristol Rovers - a League One outfit.

I know perhaps that this is the market we ought to be looking at but it doesn't look that promising tbh.

Last edited:
The ten yard pass is the basis of a good passing side, especially for a central midfielder. it means you are in the thick of it, so the stat is possibly more meaningful for a player who scores high success on pass rate and passes short. But...

The stat came from the Pope!

Wages can't be looked at in isolation though. If we pay Colback 35K how long before Lolley, Carvalho etc come knocking at the door.

Unless revenue has taken an unexpected leap this feels top heavy.

His passing should be accurate as they rarely go further than 10 yards.

I don't actually know how much we are paying. Certainly i seemed to think at the time that Lansbury was on well over £30k and Assombalonga at least £10k more than that. So those wages aren't unusual for us I think, although that doesn't mean they are sensible.

I agree with you that this is one of those "it's a bit more complicated than that" scenarios. We could potentially make up the wage money by losing 2-3 players we don't want (IF we could lose them) but that's no good if it raises the market rate for our wages and the next set of contracts get player's agents salivating.

That's why a deal with Newcastle would be handy if we could get it; we pay £25k a week, which is in line with Grabban (fair IMO) and this is topped up by Newcastle, who would save around £300k by doing so compared to paying him £35k for another year.

But that's a fantasy deal that couldn't possibly happen until the last few days of the window.

The reality is that it needs to be Yacob and Yates next year or another loan. The loan opens another issue- are we not paying his wages anyway on loan?

Seeing as all is quiet on this front, I have put together a list of the highest valued players on Transfermarkt who either have played for us, play for us or who have been linked with us in the past - where do you think this team would finish in the PL?

Bale------------------------Bakambu--------------------------Salah

----------------Ramsey------Carvalho---------Cleverley------------

Robertson---------Maguire--------------Worrall--------------Yedlin

---------------------------------Pope----------------------------------

West Brom have ruled themselves out of signing Gayle permanently with the implication being they have to cut their wage bill.

When you think that they are likely to lose Rodriguez, Phillips, Rondon and Dawson as well it could get interesting for them.

Swansea have just lost their manager as well which means three of the ‘bigger’ fish in this division are now managerless.

Seeing as all is quiet on this front, I have put together a list of the highest valued players on Transfermarkt who either have played for us, play for us or who have been linked with us in the past - where do you think this team would finish in the PL?

Bale------------------------Bakambu--------------------------Salah

----------------Ramsey------Carvalho---------Cleverley------------

Robertson---------Maguire--------------Worrall--------------Yedlin

---------------------------------Pope----------------------------------

I'd have Lolley in for Cleverley.

Just did it based off of the estimated transfer values.

In that side for Lolley to work you would have to take out Salah or Bale!

Fair enough on the transfer values.

Lolley could play midfield. I just think Cleverley is wank.