Transfer rumors | Page 23 | Vital Football

Transfer rumors

No hate here either. He was the sort of striker who didn’t do anything in a game other than score.

Totally agree that the injury had a big effect on him as he lost a yard or two of pace and his goal scoring suffered.

Unfortunately that poor first touch and lack of pace, coupled with the fact that he doesn’t particularly work off the ball means he really isn’t going to do a lot in the Prem. Or at least that’s my view.

Really don't understand the vitriol against BA. Probably the best buy we have made in the last 20 years. Nearly a goal every other game and ten million pounds profit. How many other buys like that have we made ? Ironically the nearest bargain transfer to this (Antonio) was made on the same day. We also have to remember people have different talents. Some people can run around all day like Mo Farah. Others are fast over short distances, or have a football brain, like BA, Earnshaw, Lineker, Greaves etc

The fact that we made such a vast profit on him is testimony to EM and his team; that and the fact that we were fortunate enough to be selling to a mug like Monk.

No one expected Brit to run around like a marathon runner, moving ten yards to take a pass off of one of his team mates would have sufficed; that was obviously beneath him.

I remember quite clearly people slagging off our midfield time and again because they could not provide him with a good enough service, conveniently overlooking the fact that he would not help himself.

There is no questioning his scoring ability but if you want to judge his game judge all of it.

There is no room in the game for players who do not pull their weight; I doubt there ever has been.

You compare him to Earnshaw, Linekar and Greaves; he was not in the same class as Earnshaw who worked his socks off for the club.

No one in their right mind would question Linekar's work rate, and Greaves, who allegedly did not come alive until he got into the box, managed to drag players all over the pitch to make room for his team mates.

Last edited:
I didnt like his "God brought me to Middlesbrough" comment when he left us, although on reflection it is funny.

I don't hate hime, and I dont really know anyone who does. He's just not as good as he thinks he is, hes fat and couldnt trap wind
Owd hime.

Always difficult to compare players, but Earnshaw (according to Wiki) scored 35 goals for us in 98 games, in what was probably a much better team. BA scored 30 in 65. Lineker and Greaves were world class players. Just an illustration that the game isn't all about effort and great goals. BA was a top championship player for us. Still don't see why there's any animosity towards him.

Always difficult to compare players, but Earnshaw (according to Wiki) scored 35 goals for us in 98 games, in what was probably a much better team. BA scored 30 in 65. Lineker and Greaves were world class players. Just an illustration that the game isn't all about effort and great goals. BA was a top championship player for us. Still don't see why there's any animosity towards him.

Earnshaw played two up front though, with scoring duties shared. First season was a relegation threatened season that looked far more hopeless for most of it than 2016-17, which only became dangerous late on.

Assombalonga was a better goalscorer but Earnshaw a better footballer. He could score from free kicks as well (but not penalties, which Britt was good at).

Britt really needed to play in an era of two up front. He would have done better and scored more with an unselfish striker next to him- like with Fryatt early doors

Last edited:
The fact that we made such a vast profit on him is testimony to EM and his team; that and the fact that we were fortunate enough to be selling to a mug like Monk.

No one expected Brit to run around like a marathon runner, moving ten yards to take a pass off of one of his team mates would have sufficed; that was obviously beneath him.

I remember quite clearly people slagging off our midfield time and again because they could not provide him with a good enough service, conveniently overlooking the fact that he would not help himself.

There is no questioning his scoring ability but if you want to judge his game judge all of it.

There is no room in the game for players who do not pull their weight; I doubt there ever has been.

You compare him to Earnshaw, Linekar and Greaves; he was not in the same class as Earnshaw who worked his socks off for the club.

No one in their right mind would question Linekar's work rate, and Greaves, who allegedly did not come alive until he got into the box, managed to drag players all over the pitch to make room for his team mates.

Right o.

Owd Linekar.

Murphy isnt interested in Murphy.

I know people on here said it was a good deal when we signed him, but it really wasn't.

Certainly in terms of transfers we still seem to be a bit of a basket case of a club.

Off the field we are much better. I am surprised that we signed the January players, even on a temp basis. I was hoping the transfer policy would be sorted with the new directors in but it seemed to be the same old same old. although in saying that, they were the correct postions to fill.

Certainly in terms of transfers we still seem to be a bit of a basket case of a club.

I would disagree.

The quality of permanent signings recently has been a significant improvement; Grabban, Carvalho, Benaloune, Milosovic, Figuereda and Lolley have proven to be decent players - Grabban and Lolley are probably as good as anyone we have signed this century, although that is nothing to shout about.

Some of the loans have been inconsistent but that's a risk you take with all deals.

Look at most of the deadwood people want out of the club and they are from the McParland area or prior to that.

The main area we need some consistency in is the managers job.

Off the field we are much better. I am surprised that we signed the January players, even on a temp basis. I was hoping the transfer policy would be sorted with the new directors in but it seemed to be the same old same old. although in saying that, they were the correct postions to fill.

The current director of football/recruitment or whatever he is called has been in position for around six months, maybe a fraction longer.

Given that he had hardly the time to find out where his desk was, our dealings in January turned out to be pretty good; although when the dust settles, I'm sure we will find that he was only responsible for signing Bonnatini and the others wandered in from the street

He now has the chance to prove it was no flash in the pan and sort out the inspired signings we need to get us up.

Well who exactly was responsible?

Its clear enough that you don't particularly like EM but to heap blame on him for the failures and fail to acknowledge even the slightest success is a tad churlish.

We've still utilise the old scatter gun approach to recruitment and managers. Talk me through a coherent strategy and philosophy for either and I'll give him some credit.

Fawaz had success in the transfer market too on occasion, should we laud him as a visionary?