Transfer deadline day | Page 6 | Vital Football

Transfer deadline day

When Akinde signed for us, he came from Lincoln, who are funded pretty well, as they have regular 10k attendances. I know a Lincoln fan said he was on good money and they needed to offload him as it wasn't value for money.

Likewise, when we signed him, if you remember Steve Evans actually said that Scally had actually approved breaking our wage structure to sign him. SE said he actually turned this down, as he didn't want Scally to break the wage structure for him, but then a deal was done a couple of weeks later. So i'd imagine the end deal probably came down a little bit to meet in the middle, but still ended up right at the very top end of our wage structure. I think it would be fair to say he's probably at least one of our 2/3 top earners.
If that's the case then I can well imagine that there are a lot of disjointed noses among the playing staff, specifically those who run their bollox off each week for a salary that falls well short of what he is (allegedly/supposedly) earning. To be honest, I always played rugby and was fairly useful as a second rower, but I would never have considered working full-time for the, so-called, average wages given tp players in the lower divisions. Before anyone wonders why, I am (was) and mechanical engineer and worked offshore for a good many years before managing a couple of companies, Thankfully I received the salary that went with the position. Oh and I forgot to say that rugby was strictly amateur during my playing days so.... maybe my point actually misses the point.

Last edited:
According to Evans there was interest in five of our squad; Mellis, Akinde, Graham....guessing Tucker and Dempsey were the others two. Good work holding onto the latter three.
I was thinking that Ogilvie was probably one as there’s been talk of interest in him before.

I may be mistaken but I am pretty sure that Gillingham made an approach to sign him (Akinde) when he was playing for Ebbsfleet but he reportedly said that he wasn't interested in joining us. He may of course had good reasons, eg. better package elsewhere, but even so I was surprised that we signed him when he was hardly setting the division alight.

We were having a decent charge towards the playoffs in January 2020. Maybe the investment in akinde was justified to try and push us over that line. Covid-19 the buggered everything up.

Presumably he's still got next season on his contract as well ?

We were having a decent charge towards the playoffs in January 2020. Maybe the investment in akinde was justified to try and push us over that line. Covid-19 the buggered everything up.

Presumably he's still got next season on his contract as well ?
Nope. Expires June 21

Theres plenty of time for a playoff charge this year too!
COYG

I think we were saying similar about this time last season and then it all came to a screeching halt.

I think we are still too inconsistent to have a serious charge but a run of 5 wins could make it look very different.

I do wonder what would have been if Samuel had remained injury free.

I guess we will have to wait and see next season to see if he comes good.

I think you are right about a new management team next season shotshy. I can see both parties agreeing its for the best. Parting on amicable terms.

OK the Southend move makes more sense as it gives him a chance to earn a contract there.

Very different looking team next season is on the cards

We’ll need to make changes to avoid relegation to League 1 next year. Would be happy just to consolidate our position.

We’ll need to make changes to avoid relegation to League 1 next year. Would be happy just to consolidate our position.
So that means we will get promoted to the Championship this season but come back down again next season?

I think we have about as much chance of getting promotion to the championship this season as the likes of Bury!

I hope PS is trying to get the out of contract players to resign new deals.

Apart from Ogilvie and Graham who else is free at the end of the season?