Transfer Deadline Day Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Think that's turned out to be a decent window in the end, we've certainly addressed some of our problem areas (albeit it towards the end) but there's still some gaps in the I believe.

At the start of the season, I thought we needed:

- RB(s) - SORTED.

- CB (replacement for Ballard) - Not Sorted. Still think Keogh is rubbish and that's a definite downgrade. Not seen any of Connolly at CB yet, but think we are worse off here at the minute.

- CM/AM (replacement for Embleton) - TBD. Dale has played at No. 10 in the past, and TJJ seems to be playing in this area, so we've brought people in and we'll see how they get on. CM also became an issue later in the window with Ward going down, Wintle coming in certainly helps, but obviously the club feel like we lack some real quality here with the approaches for Brannaghan and O'Reilly.

- ST (replacement for Simms) - TBD. Lavery looks the business, but having the mobile big striker gave us an extra dimensions last year. Need Madine back fit.

Few bonuses in there beyond that, such as Dale who probably takes Mitchells position whilst he's injured, and Lavery as mentioned above. Squad is definitely stronger overall, but it's a wait and see if the First XI is an improvement.

I think it's been a decent window. Could have been better, could have been worse.

We got a lot of business done early, adding depth to the squad without necessarily improving the first XI. As such, we started the season with a few weak links (caused, in part, by injuries too). Certainly not ideal and I can understand the frustration with that, even if some flapped about it far too much.

The two right backs signed yesterday suddenly transform the position from a real weakness to a strength and it will be interesting to see who gets the nod there going forward. Crucially, both are attacking players and have bags of pace; this is key to how we seem to want to set up tactically.

The Dale signing is intriguing. He really kicked on last season and ticks a lot of boxes; will he come in straight away and if so, where does that leave CJ Hamilton going forward? He was a big player for us out of the traps last season but is clearly low on confidence at the moment and seemingly slipping down the pecking order.

Obviously the club made multiple bids for Brannagan and others, with a technical central midfielder who can either play behind the front man or deeper seemingly becoming a priority after Ward's injury (and even after Wintle arrived). I suspect this will be revisited in January, especially with us having one free squad spot. The fact that the club were willing to spend good money on this position at short notice should reassure people that the money is there to spend if the price is right.

We missed out on others too, and whilst I've no doubt NC will be happy with yesterday's business, he'll probably be ruing the ones that got away - particularly in the attacking third. Hopefully the club will reflect on what they've done well in a tough window, but also reflect on where they need to improve going into January.

One area of concern is the inability to shift our 'dead wood'. We're not going to get every deal right (who does?), but we do have a number of players who are, for want of a better word, useless to us: we don't want them and they won't be playing for us, and seemingly no one else wants them either. They are a drain on resource at a time when so many areas of the club require investment. From what I understand there's a lot more due diligence going into signings now, but we can't keep churning through players like Peterborough do.

One area of concern is the inability to shift our 'dead wood'. We're not going to get every deal right (who does?), but we do have a number of players who are, for want of a better word, useless to us: we don't want them and they won't be playing for us, and seemingly no one else wants them either. They are a drain on resource at a time when so many areas of the club require investment. From what I understand there's a lot more due diligence going into signings now, but we can't keep churning through players like Peterborough do.

I was very surprised at the lack of outgoings yesterday. I wouldn't be suprised if we get to the point of just buying out some peoples contracts.

Surely Howe and Sarkic are at least good enough to get loans in League 2? Even if we continue to pay their wages, their value can't be hurt but playing at whatever level.

Nuttall and Lubala are a special case it seems.

Just thinking about thy money St Simon has spent to which I am very grateful. If the £750k plus £500k are correct have we overpaid on the basis of potential. I know Abel says there is cash changing hands in div 3 but there aren't that many cakes going through. Just a thought

Just thinking about thy money St Simon has spent to which I am very grateful. If the £750k plus £500k are correct have we overpaid on the basis of potential. I know Abel says there is cash changing hands in div 3 but there aren't that many cakes going through. Just a thought
Always difficult to work out now what is cheap and what is not ,pro rats to what was paid for Ellis from Preston etc they are not large amounts.