Transfer Deadline Day Thread | Vital Football

Transfer Deadline Day Thread

AbelBFC

Vital Football Legend
Window slams shut 11pm tonight.

As a reminder, we are capped at a squad size of 25 players (but the likes of Ward and Virtue will not be registered due to injury). U21 players do not count towards the total unless they are on loan.

Free agents can still be signed after today.

So how many spots in our 25 man squad do we currently have available? Well by my reckoning it currently looks like this:

1) Maxwell
2) Grimshaw
3) Moore
4) Garbutt
5) James
6) Husband
7) Gretarsson
8) Ekpiteta
9) Keogh
10) Connolly
11) Dougall
12) Stewart
13) Wintle
14) Mitchell
15) Anderson
16) Bowler
17) Hamilton
18) Yates
19) John-Jules
20) Lavery
21) Madine

Casey and Carey are U21 players.

So that's 4 spots available. However, unless rules are different in the Championship, we'll have to have one of our own U21 players on the bench or register one in the squad (like we did with Jack Sims last season). The most logical person to register would be Brad Holmes, and that would leave us three free spots.

As mentioned, Ward and Virtue unlikely to be registered due to injury and we're under no obligation to register the likes of Howe and Sarkic, who obviously remain available for transfer.

What do I expect today? To be honest, I'm not sure.

As I've maintained throughout the summer, the money is there if the price is right. As I've also maintained, the lack of movement since our initial flurry of business is little fault of the club - the market has been incredibly slow (and I've posted information to back this up). However, the market has definitely quickened over the weekend as clubs, agents and players realise deals need to be done... and in some cases it will be interesting to see who blinks first.

I've heard there could be as many as four new faces today, as well as a few departures.

My only reservation is if the deals we are progressing go to the wire, do we have too many balls in the air to get all of them over line?

What do I expect today? To be honest, I'm not sure.

As I've maintained throughout the summer, the money is there if the price is right. As I've also maintained, the lack of movement since our initial flurry of business is little fault of the club - the market has been incredibly slow (and I've posted information to back this up). However, the market has definitely quickened over the weekend as clubs, agents and players realise deals need to be done... and in some cases it will be interesting to see who blinks first.

I've heard there could be as many as four new faces today, as well as a few departures.

My only reservation is if the deals we are progressing go to the wire, do we have too many balls in the air to get all of them over line?

First real test of the new management structure really - not in terms of £ appetite, more in terms of "How organised and efficient can we be in 1 day".

In previous years you almost knew there was no hope of more than 1 or 2 because logistically it would be nigh on impossible!

I'm expecting at least 4 out, with at least 1 suprise in there. I'm hoping for 3 in with a 4th as a bonus (if the 4th is a big striker, which feels like a luxury given our gaps elsewhere!).

What I expect is what we can reasonably hope for. Some sensible modest investment in genuine potential...Good strategic acquisitions and probably cutting our losses on two or three players who haven't fulfilled expectations to make room for better prospects. The decisiveness in releasing KK in the summer shows the ability to implement hard decisions. In Sadler we trust.

Slow day this. Only signed a three quarter of a million pound footballer by lunchtime.

Read somewhere, I think Twitter that an announcement on the training ground in the Autumn

Your dad needs a hearing aid though. He isn't hearing any good news.:wheelchair:
Perhaps it is just realism gained through experience, not pessimism ;). Oxford manager, Karl Robinson, was interviewed earlier saying they had rejected a signiticant bid for Brannagan and that he wasn't leaving.

Perhaps it is just realism gained through experience, not pessimism ;). Oxford manager, Karl Robinson, was interviewed earlier saying they had rejected a signiticant bid for Brannagan and that he wasn't leaving.
Could just be a negotiating tactic ? It might not be up to Robinson. Every club has a bean counter.

We've seen Karl Robinson being economical with the truth before in the press haven't we, including when we made an approach for him.

I've heard from both the Blackpool and Oxford ends that another bid has gone in/went in for him. Whether that's been accepted or rejected I have no idea.