Tranmere and Sunderland it is | Vital Football

Tranmere and Sunderland it is

pompeyrug

Alert Team
So, we knew Rotherham, Bolton and Ipswich had already come down from the Championship to be in League One next season. Lincoln, Bury and MK Dons had joined us from League Two.

The play-off weekend saw Tranmere up from League Two and Sunderland remaining in League One.

On a personal note, had Newport beating Tranmere it could have seen a trip in a beautiful surrounding area tied in with the game via a contact I have in Wales. However, Prenton Park is minutes away from my Wirral based bother, so a family reunion, taking in that game is on the cards.

Sunderland, of course, the side that ended our promotion hopes, losing at Wembley against Charlton didn't surprise me whatsoever. To be honest, I expected the Addicks to win the League One play-off final, be that against the Black Cats or us. Fortunately it wasn't Pompey who lost at the capital, to a late, late winner at that.

We'll now face an interesting summer, which will see a few of our high profile players lured away to the Championship, Premier League even? How we reinvest that will tell us much about our chances of pushing on for another promotion bid next season, be that automatic or a play-off bid again.

Bring it on. Tranmere and the other newbies to League One, or those dropping into it to join Pompey.

Yes.. the Sunderland v Charlton game didn't surprise me I must admit. How the mighty have fallen eh.. I would think another season in League One is going to have to see their wage bill slashed. Reminds me of another team I won't mention.. ha ha.

Its definitely going to be interesting to see how Pompey approach the new season playing staff wise. I would certainly like to be a fly on the wall in certain offices.. ha!

At the least, forget how good they will be, there are some classic traditional club names there that a fixture is like the old times.

I was gutted for the bestest fans in the world (aka Sunderland) losing like that. At least they won the Trafalgar Square Trophy again!!

Yeah.. me too Tim.. I actually cried inconsolably.. :hehe:

Still, we get to do them again next season, and as 'dedmans' points out there are some traditional old names in the running. Some of them take me back to listening to Sports Report on the radio on a miserable, wet, Saturday afternoon.. :thumbup: