Training ground | Page 4 | Vital Football

Training ground

Working in the building industry, metric is way better than Imperial. Though I'm old enough to be able to translate between both, the thought of dimensioning in imperial does my head in, 7' 6 3/8"? Do me a favour.

I expect 75% of the UK population now only understand metric.
'Understand' is probably a case of "giving an inch but taking a yard" if you consider the population of infants and the gaga like myself

Working in the building industry, metric is way better than Imperial. Though I'm old enough to be able to translate between both, the thought of dimensioning in imperial does my head in, 7' 6 3/8"? Do me a favour.

I expect 75% of the UK population now only understand metric.
17/64", how did we ever dream up that system.

17/64", how did we ever dream up that system.

In international football matches, when England play Johnny Foreigner, I often wonder about the distance at free kicks. We all have an idea about the 10 yard rule but asking someone to be 9.144 meters away seems a bit exact!

In international football matches, when England play Johnny Foreigner, I often wonder about the distance at free kicks. We all have an idea about the 10 yard rule but asking someone to be 9.144 meters away seems a bit exact!

In Germany and Holland they teach imperial/metric conversion in their Academies so that young players know how to make a 30 yard pass with accuracy. It is one of the failings of the modern UK education system and why no home grown player since Hoddle has been able to do that. It is now a lost art.

Last edited:
In Germany and Holland they teach imperial/metric conversion in their Academy's so that young players know how to make a 30 yard pass with accuracy. It is one of the failings of the modern UK education system and why no home grown player since Hoddle has been able to do that. It is now a lost art.
Who knew that England being sh*te was just down to measurements? Amazing! Makes me feel much better :lol:

In Germany and Holland they teach imperial/metric conversion in their Academies so that young players know how to make a 30 yard pass with accuracy. It is one of the failings of the modern UK education system and why no home grown player since Hoddle has been able to do that. It is now a lost art.
I never realised the phrase "slide-rule pass" should be taken literally!