Tottingham Hotspurs v Aston Villa PREMIER LEAGUE Saturday 10th August 17.30 k.o. | Page 39 | Vital Football

Tottingham Hotspurs v Aston Villa PREMIER LEAGUE Saturday 10th August 17.30 k.o.

Than bloke they paid £70 million for is an absolute beast.

Perhaps fat sam was right should have gone for 3 or 4 quality players, and it makes even more sense when only 3 brand new outfield players started against Spurs.
I really really hope the two new fullbacks and two new midfielders aren't squad fillers, I'd be totally gutted to find out that Deano really thought that last seasons players were good enough.

What was really strange was Jota was our stand out player in the preseason and many fans thought Freddy was too. Yet one was on the bench and the other never even made that.

I had doubts about Freddy and Targett and worryingly Deano has too and he bought the feckers!

Time to worry is if they play against Bournemouth and we get pinned in our own box for 80 mins at VP

Perhaps fat sam was right should have gone for 3 or 4 quality players, and it makes even more sense when only 3 brand new outfield players started against Spurs.
I really really hope the two new fullbacks and two new midfielders aren't squad fillers, I'd be totally gutted to find out that Deano really thought that last seasons players were good enough.

What was really strange was Jota was our stand out player in the preseason and many fans thought Freddy was too. Yet one was on the bench and the other never even made that.

I had doubts about Freddy and Targett and worryingly Deano has too and he bought the feckers!

Time to worry is if they play against Bournemouth and we get pinned in our own box for 80 mins at VP

Deano picked a team with experience for a very tough opener away at the losing European Cup finalists. A pragmatic team selection for me. Anything else would have been 7 or 8 players making their debuts, which everyone would have kicked off about.

We will see plenty of the new boys over the coming weeks. Chill out.

Ps - Fat Sam is NEVER right.

Deano picked a team with experience for a very tough opener away at the losing European Cup finalists. A pragmatic team selection for me. Anything else would have been 7 or 8 players making their debuts, which everyone would have kicked off about.

We will see plenty of the new boys over the coming weeks. Chill out.

Ps - Fat Sam is NEVER right.

This. I think Deano went for the pragmatic approach.

West Ham and Chelsea beaten 4 and 5 nil by teams within in the top 6.

No need to panic, neither of those teams will be facing imminent relegation and nor does it mean that their players haven't got the abilities to play in this league. It's simply just a gulf in squad depth and quality.

Plenty of positives from that first game, especially the first 45 mins and the defensive display.

UTV

They've mostly come from different leagues and maybe our sport scientists have measured them as not quite up to the PL levels required and our current incumbents are fitter and stronger atm.

This is not to say that they will not be as fit and as strong over the next 2-3 weeks.

We are not party to DS's inner thoughts, so let's not second guess after one game away from home against 3rd in the league last season. We will have a clearer picture in 4-5 games in. Remember Hause's debut was shocking, 2-3 weeks later we were all asking for him to replace Taylor. Let DS and co work some magic and then comment on individuals and whether we deem them good enough.

If we had hung on and won 1-0 it would still have been a rude awakening, we were outplayed! We have to learn quickly and move on. Next exam is Saturday at 3pm.

Marvelous is supposed to be a bit of a terrier.
Luiz I think will prove to be a better CB than DM in the long run.
Unless you’re going to tell me you watch a lot of Girona or Brazil youth matches I’ll make the assumption you’ve never seen him play - apart from 10 minutes v spurs? How on earth can you say he’ll be better as a centre back at this stage?

Unless you’re going to tell me you watch a lot of Girona or Brazil youth matches I’ll make the assumption you’ve never seen him play - apart from 10 minutes v spurs? How on earth can you say he’ll be better as a centre back at this stage?
It's all about opinions, I think he'll make a great hairdresser :silly:

They've mostly come from different leagues and maybe our sport scientists have measured them as not quite up to the PL levels required and our current incumbents are fitter and stronger atm.

This is not to say that they will not be as fit and as strong over the next 2-3 weeks.

We are not party to DS's inner thoughts, so let's not second guess after one game away from home against 3rd in the league last season. We will have a clearer picture in 4-5 games in. Remember Hause's debut was shocking, 2-3 weeks later we were all asking for him to replace Taylor. Let DS and co work some magic and then comment on individuals and whether we deem them good enough.

If we had hung on and won 1-0 it would still have been a rude awakening, we were outplayed! We have to learn quickly and move on. Next exam is Saturday at 3pm.

I kind of get what you are saying. Smith is obviously a film buff and his favourite films I would imagine are the Dirty Dozen or the Devils Brigade.

In his mind he is playing the Lee Marvin role putting together a team of misfits and moulding them into some kind of super unit that go on to great glory.

Well Mr Smith, let me tell you first you are no Major Reisman and this group of misfits are not fit for purpose regardless of your self proclaimed coaching ability

The sooner you get this fanciful nonsense out of your head the better, we might have a chance of staying up then - This is not MGM Studios in Borehamwood in 1967 it is 2019 in the Premier League !!!

Running 10k + at high intensity is hard work you know.

I think I read somewhere that players like Milner and Barry cover 8k in a game and they were right up there with the best. Does that seem right! I wouldn't have been able to run 8k when I was a kid so I wouldn't know

Ok I’ve had two days now, and have read through all of the posts on here. I’ve resisted responding to each one, so I’ll just give my general thoughts.
1. We are not unfit, and running suicides at BMH will not make us better or fitter. Those techniques worked in the 1980’s but techniques and science have come a long way since then. We faded in the match because Spurs passed us to death.
2. The foul on McGinn was a stonewall penalty.
3. The new signings that played have zero minutes of experience in the premier league and to expect them to play at that level immediately is just nonsense... Hence..
4. Guilbert has bags of potential and is the future, BUT, as I alluded to in the preseason friendlies thread, he was caught horribly out of position defensively on numerous occasions against lower league teams. Elmo was the sensible option.
5. Taylor was excellent, and to suggest Target should play just because he is a new signing, is farcical. Competition for every place and may the best man win.
6. Jack looked a little overawed. I’m sure he’ll improve.
7. The tackle on Jack for the second goal would have been given as a foul if it had been at the other end. The way the ball found its way to Kane subsequently was very very fortunate.
8. Having said that, Spurs won fair and square. No complaints from me.
9. Anyone suggesting that Bournemouth will/should be a walk in the park is delusional. We are talking about an extremely well-coached and established premier league team who’s centre forward was among the top ten scorers in the league last year.
10. Tom Heaton, Mings, Engels and McGinn all look very comfortable at this level. Heaton does need to work on his kicking though. I counted four times when he just kicked it straight out of play.
11. Patience is needed. I remain a happy clapper with rose tinted glasses.