Tottenham legend Steve Perryman retires from football | Vital Football

Tottenham legend Steve Perryman retires from football

Topspur1

Vital Football Legend
ottenham Hotspur legend Steve Perryman has retired from football.

Perryman, 66, made a record 854 appearances for Spurs between 1969 and 1986, going on to also play for Oxford United and Brentford.
The director of football at Exeter's last game was watching the Grecians lose 3-1 at Wembley in the play-off final.
https://www.devonlive.com/sport/foo...ttenham-legend-steve-perryman-retires-1603598
One of my all time heroes, good luck Steve and thanks for the memories.

When I was an early teenager I used to often play on the adjoining pitch to his team in Walthamstow . I was two years older than him and it was the talk of the league when he signed for THFC . I like to think I taught him all that he knew ha ha . Hope he has a brilliant retirement

Nothin rubbed off on you then! ha ha
No mate , I became a carpenter and he became my hero . :bow:Happy days . Did you ever play at Low Hall Farm in Walthamstow , Greavesie ?
That's where I used to see him . Leyton Orient dumped me when I was seventeen cos I smoked and drank , ....... I thought it was compulsory back then :wahey:. The pub teams were so much more fun , at least you could play with a hangover

Wow! That's a name I haven't heard for a long time, used to play there on occasions. Our home ground was Wadham Lodge at the time.

Wow! That's a name I haven't heard for a long time, used to play there on occasions. Our home ground was Wadham Lodge at the time.

Ha ha , that's so spooky. I've played there too. Our home ground was the Gun Site , just the other side of the Crooked Billet . As we got better we migrated to Watney Mann playing field just up the north circular . They even cut the grass there ! Posh as you like

The cattle cut the grass on Wanstead flats...

Walthy cant recall all the many grounds I played on to be fair...Low Farm does ring a bell... though....did you ever play at Beckton Dumps?...wow more like a gravel pitch and so undulating...when our winger ran down the right wing he disappeared and suddenly a ball would fly into the penalty area....now that took judgement to try to head it!...

Last edited:
Beckton Dumps.........ahhhh what images that name brings to the imagination. I bet you had lovely clean , warm changing rooms ,with plenty of space to hang your clothes, piping hot water for the shower afterwards . NOT. Ha ha .
No Greavesie I can't say I ever had the pleasure of parading my skills on Beckton Dumps but now you've described it , I wish I had .!!!
That's a brilliant image of your winger disappearing from site!.. Mind you , you had to have the bravery of a lion to head one of those balls .

We have spoken before before about my two main " home pitches " , the Gun Site and the Cow Field . The gun site was used during the war to place cannons to protect London, with the associated trenches for the poor souls to man the the guns . It was a shame nobody deemed it fit and proper to fill in the trenches properly before good old Walthamstow Council painted a couple of white lines on it and called it a football pitch . The Cow field was what it was , a cow field . The least said about that the better . Sliding tackles were very rarely attempted there .
I would imagine you wouldn't try one at Beckton Dumps if you wanted to go home with any skin left on your legs . Happy days .

The cattle cut the grass on Wanstead flats...

Walthy cant recall all the many grounds I played on to be fair...Low Farm does ring a bell... though....did you ever play at Beckton Dumps?...wow more like a gravel pitch and so undulating...when our winger ran down the right wing he disappeared and suddenly a ball would fly into the penalty area....now that took judgement to try to head it!...
Had a spell at East Ham who played at Beckton.

Quote from greavesie, " I can't recall all the many grounds I played on to be fair"
Don't worry Greavesie , there is a brilliant quote that says " if you can remember the sixties you weren't really there" :lol:
Sadly for me , the 70s, 80, s and all the other decades fall into that same category , but boy has it been fun doing all those things that lead to them being wiped from my memory :slap::wahey:

I can remember the dump at Beckton , I used to drive past it on the A13 or A12 can't remember which . It went from East Ham to Dagenham and on the way you could see the pile of whatever about fifty foot high . If you played on that ,you have my admiration for ever . Now that was an undulation . :guiness::bow: