Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheffield United FC (The Blades founded 1889) | Page 3 | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheffield United FC (The Blades founded 1889)

If he picks Eriksen than the guy has totally lost the plot....Lo Celso not only needs more game time with us, he absolutely merits the right to play this game. As far as Poch talking of maximising the squad etc.....strange it never applied to Kane for example when he needed to be rested or substituted. The guy is past his sell by date for us and needs to go.

In fairness its a pity that he has ended up with a lot of supporters anti him, cos at one point he could virtually do no wrong - now he can virtually do no right

I'd really like to see Lo Celso and Ndombele start - even if it's only for 55 or 60 minutes. It's really important that we start on the front foot, play at a fast tempo and don't allow them to settle into any pattern. It is very difficult for substitutes to effect the outcome when coming on late against a team that has something to defend, is defensively well-organised and has gained confidence as the match has progressed.

This could also be a match for Moura to start. With two creative players behind him I think he'll bring some pace and variety to the right side of our attack and hopefully he'll get the kind of service that plays to his strengths. As good as Sheffield have been so far this season, a five of Kane, Son, Moura Lo Celso and Ndombele will be too much for them to handle.

Gazzaniga,
Foyth, Toby, Sanchez, Davies
Lo Celso, Sissoko (or Dier), Ndombele
Moura, Kane , Son

I'd really like to see Lo Celso and Ndombele start - even if it's only for 55 or 60 minutes. It's really important that we start on the front foot, play at a fast tempo and don't allow them to settle into any pattern. It is very difficult for substitutes to effect the outcome when coming on late against a team that has something to defend, is defensively well-organised and has gained confidence as the match has progressed.

This could also be a match for Moura to start. With two creative players behind him I think he'll bring some pace and variety to the right side of our attack and hopefully he'll get the kind of service that plays to his strengths. As good as Sheffield have been so far this season, a five of Kane, Son, Moura Lo Celso and Ndombele will be too much for them to handle.

Gazzaniga,
Foyth, Toby, Sanchez, Davies
Lo Celso, Sissoko (or Dier), Ndombele
Moura, Kane , Son
I agree. Barring injury issues, we should be riding the momentum of our midweek performance and go with the majority of that team. Playing NDombele and Lo Celso from the start is a no brainer to me. If we are in charge at the hour mark, we make changes accordingly. If we are struggling ... we just do what we've been doing for most of the season so far! lol

Either way, the most that "fatigued" Lo Celso plays is an hour. And with NDombele unlikely to be a starter for the French team, what's the harm in flogging him a little if he's gonna get his rest time on international duty.

If he picks Eriksen than the guy has totally lost the plot....Lo Celso not only needs more game time with us, he absolutely merits the right to play this game. As far as Poch talking of maximising the squad etc.....strange it never applied to Kane for example when he needed to be rested or substituted. The guy is past his sell by date for us and needs to go.

In fairness its a pity that he has ended up with a lot of supporters anti him, cos at one point he could virtually do no wrong - now he can virtually do no right
Well said Total . Agree absolutely

A mate just told me that in his press conference he suggested that Lo Celso wont start....didn't hear it so no idea..... but if he doesn't start - we all know who will!

A mate just told me that in his press conference he suggested that Lo Celso wont start....didn't hear it so no idea..... but if he doesn't start - we all know who will!

I have said this before . It's not always about who starts. There are 3 subs, so 14 players. I could predict the blades being resilient first 60 or 70 minutes but start to fade. In which case a fresh Loco could be more dangerous.

I have said this before . It's not always about who starts. There are 3 subs, so 14 players. I could predict the blades being resilient first 60 or 70 minutes but start to fade. In which case a fresh Loco could be more dangerous.

IMO if he starts Eriksen he has lost the plot, there is no way he can believe he has done enough to even be on the bench, let alone start. As for subs, sadly he has form in being slow to make changes and blind in who he changes.... I just want the guy out

If you've watched any of Sheffield's matches this season you'll see they haven't really tired at all after 60 or 70 minutes. Against Chelsea they came from 2-0 down at half time. They held their 1-0 lead against Arsenal comfortably until the end. They were holding Liverpool until a poor mistake by Henderson.

It's far easier to score against a team in the opening 20 minutes than it is in the last 20 minutes when the pattern of the match has been established and the opposition have gained confidence. Then there's the time wasting, injury feigning tactics etc., that come into play.

Clubs with the quality of players that we have shouldn't have to rely on wearing teams down and hoping for a mistake due to fatigue. I'd much rather see us start the game on the front foot, play with a high tempo and put the game to bed by the hour.

Having said that, Poch's philosophy generally in recent times, is pretty much as you propose.

If you've watched any of Sheffield's matches this season you'll see they haven't really tired at all after 60 or 70 minutes. Against Chelsea they came from 2-0 down at half time. They held their 1-0 lead against Arsenal comfortably until the end. They were holding Liverpool until a poor mistake by Henderson.

It's far easier to score against a team in the opening 20 minutes than it is in the last 20 minutes when the pattern of the match has been established and the opposition have gained confidence. Then there's the time wasting, injury feigning tactics etc., that come into play.

Clubs with the quality of players that we have shouldn't have to rely on wearing teams down and hoping for a mistake due to fatigue. I'd much rather see us start the game on the front foot, play with a high tempo and put the game to bed by the hour.

Having said that, Poch's philosophy generally in recent times, is pretty much as you propose.
We have had very little recovery time for this game, that is my main worry.

Did he really play as badly as what I saw on weds when he came on ?
Did he actually make one accurate pass , I can’t remember . His ball control was awful and if he hadn’t scuffed his shot , the ball would have gone straight at the keeper .

Haven't watched them yet, but did notice that in all but 2 of their games this season they've scored either 1 or zero goals. Burnley and Everton were the exception.

Conversely, our problem is that we can be the team that doesn't score (3 times) or the team that averages 2 goals a game.

So I agree with you. The tactics should be about taking risks against the parked bus. Take players on, draw fouls and bookings and keep trying the threaded balls until 1 or 2 come off. Get crosses in and pick up second ball. If we lose possession we're playing against a mostly impotent team at the other end. The worst thing we could do is play this sideways / backwards stuff and create no chances.

Sheffield have had 6/7 days recovery and preparation , we have had less than 3 days really. So what are the obvious tactics to deploy. ?

Sheffield have had 6/7 days recovery and preparation , we have had less than 3 days really. So what are the obvious tactics to deploy. ?

They're a fit side and rely on working hard to close down the spaces, and then counter attacking with speed - they love an 'over the top' ball to chase and as you might expect force issues at set pieces.
I expect to see them stand toe to toe with us as they did against Everton and Chav's, but also to allow possession and play deeper as they did aganist le arse, only to hit them on the break.

They have a great team spirit and don't know when they're beat - if we can get a quick goal and keep them chasing shadows we'll have a good chance of beating them well - if we can't break them down, they'll be extremely dangerous - I expect a narrow margin win for us, but they could easily do a 'Newcastle' on us as well.

Last edited:
We've been playing in Europe for years now. The players are capable of managing 2 matches a week. It's still early in the season. The majority of players have missed some time through injury or rotation. Most of the game will played in Sheffield's half. It's not like playing away to Liverpool where we spent most of the time chasing the ball. I don't think fatigue will be an issue. If it is for some players, then we can use our subs. Hopefully the game will be over by then.

Sounds attritional Ex, so who are our most resilient and strong players able to stand up to a battle ? I am thinking Winks, Sissoko, Dier, Davies, Skipp even. Alli seems to last pretty well .

We've been playing in Europe for years now. The players are capable of managing 2 matches a week. It's still early in the season. The majority of players have missed some time through injury or rotation. Most of the game will played in Sheffield's half. It's not like playing away to Liverpool where we spent most of the time chasing the ball. I don't think fatigue will be an issue. If it is for some players, then we can use our subs. Hopefully the game will be over by then.

It really doesn't matter what we think now - science is the bottom line, if returning players hit the red zone on their recovery metrics, he just doesn't pick them now. The science proves beyond a doubt now that if you do, the player is more likely to break down and have long term injury/fitness issues.

Personally, I want to see Lo Celso at his best, so I get why he keeps saying he has to be careful - especially if his vitals show that he's not yet where he needs to be.

Sounds attritional Ex, so who are our most resilient and strong players able to stand up to a battle ? I am thinking Winks, Sissoko, Dier, Davies, Skipp even. Alli seems to last pretty well .

I think we know who they are; it's wether they've all recovered enough to start, I can easily see skippy come on later, problem with Dier is I'm hearing that his post game stats weren't what was expected, so he may be forced back onto the bench.

Anyway, off shortly, fingers crossed it's a game worth going to!! Keep the peace here as I don't see this as being a slam-dunk cut and dried result at all.