Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheffield United FC (The Blades founded 1889) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheffield United FC (The Blades founded 1889)

It’s a sign of where we are that we cannot be confident of beating a newly promoted team of Championship players that are well organised by a tactically astute manager and play high tempo football...maybe it will be different in 6 months time, but right now a win would be incredible given the state of transition we are in..and Poch’s tactical approaches.

Telling that no one is sticking their neck out for what should really be a routine home win.

The problem is they've played exceptionally well and already surprised a good few pundits and other teams and at the moment even after the win on Wednesday, everyones confidence isn't what it should be.

My lack of confidence is like everyone elses; I just can't get a read on Poch's picks to start and everytime I think he'll do what I believe will be the smart thing to do, he doesn't.

The problem is they've played exceptionally well and already surprised a good few pundits and other teams and at the moment even after the win on Wednesday, everyones confidence isn't what it should be.

My lack of confidence is like everyone elses; I just can't get a read on Poch's picks to start and everytime I think he'll do what I believe will be the smart thing to do, he doesn't.

I thought not taking a recognised RB to Belgrade was a strange choice but it proved to be ok. It gave Foyth a chance to play and gain experience in that position. Playing Dier alongside Sanchez was a surprise but proved ok, he probably outshone Sanchez, a recognised CB. It could kickstart Diers season.
It would be a balance for me between developing the players we have by giving them a chance and picking up points. What do we do....push for top 4 or try to build for the future ?, a kind of fallow season.
Clubs sometimes have to do this. Maybe rather than worry about the next 3 points , look at longer term positives.

Any win will do. Lose this we are getting dragged into a fight I don't think we will win.

I agree, people may laugh it off but I genuinely think we have a chance of being in a relegation battle.

Poch either swallows his pride and changes or we get rid of him.

If none of the above changes then don't be surprised to be bottom half of the table struggling to get more than 40-50 points.

Unfortunately Poch will not give the Red Star lineup a chance to gell further ...he will tinker and alter the lineup to sate his ego that he knows best. FFS!

Clubs sometimes have to do this. Maybe rather than worry about the next 3 points , look at longer term positives.

Here's the quandary though.

'longer term positives' - what is considered as a 'longer term'? It should never have included a 'reset' in the project equation. Longer term imo is continuous development. The other concern in that scenario is how many players want to hang around for that longer term vision to come to fruition or will they have made it to the scrap heap by then?. The history is your friend!

From what I've seen so far this season, pushing for another top 4 is very close to building for the future. For me, this is the first 18 names....

Lloris (Vorm), Gazza, Aurier, Foyth, Davies, Sessegnon, Toby, Sanchez, Dier, Winks, Sissoko, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Dele, Lamela, Moura, Kane, Son.

Except for Toby, these are both the future and our best bet to get a run going. For me, Toby has shown nothing but 100% commitment and still has something to offer short term. You could debate Aurier's name in there but let's see how he reacts first. He's not lacking commitment, laziness etc and looked superb at times.

That leaves the following
Group 1: Jan, Rose, Wanyama, Eriksen
Group 2: KWP, Tanganga, Skipp, Parrott

The only one I'm a bit torn with there is Rose. In other words Davies might needs a rest and we don't know whether Sessegnon is ready or even going to be a LB. Should Rose stay involved?

What's inevitable is that we will get injuries. It's how Poch manages the departure lounge guys with the youngsters in that scenario is the only difference in my mind between playing for now and building for the future.

Saying all this, Poch won't probably see what is staring him in the face and persist with his senior players :-)

There are 4 Uniteds in the PL this season...guess which one is highest in the league? And guess which one would probably stay above us even if we beat them (unless it's a slaughter)...yes, The Blades. Anyone thinking this even "should be" a routine home victory either hasn't been a Spurs fan for long, or doesn't know much about football.

The team Poch puts out will be key, everyone's weighed in on what the line-up should be (and to a man, everyone's ruled out playing Rose and Eriksen...not sure why Rose, but agree with the Eriksen call). Where we're sitting in the league there's no time for protecting and resting players, put the best eleven on the pitch (and not by name...by form (which will still make selection difficult ;)).

I'm not going to over-analyze, before or after, but will say that Sheffield United will give us a far sterner test than Red Star did. They'll sit back and make themselves hard to break down, a la another "United" - Newcastle, and then take any chance they get on the counter to test our (shaky) resolve. Should we win? Yes, but our current form suggests otherwise; let's hope we break out of this deep slumber and return to punching above our weight (like Leicester are doing) and get this ship back on course.

Gazza
Aurier (if fit) Toby Dier Davies
Sissoko N'Dombele GLC
Moura Kane Dele
There are 4 Uniteds in the PL this season...guess which one is highest in the league? And guess which one would probably stay above us even if we beat them (unless it's a slaughter)...yes, The Blades. Anyone thinking this even "should be" a routine home victory either hasn't been a Spurs fan for long, or doesn't know much about football.

The team Poch puts out will be key, everyone's weighed in on what the line-up should be (and to a man, everyone's ruled out playing Rose and Eriksen...not sure why Rose, but agree with the Eriksen call). Where we're sitting in the league there's no time for protecting and resting players, put the best eleven on the pitch (and not by name...by form (which will still make selection difficult ;)).

I'm not going to over-analyze, before or after, but will say that Sheffield United will give us a far sterner test than Red Star did. They'll sit back and make themselves hard to break down, a la another "United" - Newcastle, and then take any chance they get on the counter to test our (shaky) resolve. Should we win? Yes, but our current form suggests otherwise; let's hope we break out of this deep slumber and return to punching above our weight (like Leicester are doing) and get this ship back on course.

Their win against Everton and Arsenal were two very impressive performances as was their draw with Chelsea, so I'm not taking anything for granted, looking forward to going to the game, but I am utterly convinced that so much will depend on Poch's starting line up.

Last edited:
Poch has said today that the recovery turnaround period is short after Red Star....which was what I thought. Some players are carrying small issues he said. Alli has to be handled carefully and Eriksen is a quandary right now. Lamela is still out. Sissoko cant play every game , likewise Ndomble. I would expect to see Aurier, Davies and Winks at least.

Poch has said today that the recovery turnaround period is short after Red Star....which was what I thought. Some players are carrying small issues he said. Alli has to be handled carefully and Eriksen is a quandary right now. Lamela is still out. Sissoko cant play every game , likewise Ndomble. I would expect to see Aurier, Davies and Winks at least.

Based on his comments, I'm expecting this line-up (which probably means I'm totally wrong!):

Gazza
Aurier, Toby, Sanchez, Davies
N'dombele, Winks
Moura, Eriksen, Son,
Kane.

I'm not tarnishing Toby with the same brush as the others Matic. He has acted way more professional than Jan, Rose and Eriksen.

Toby starting isn't a problem for me.

I'm not in any way calling professionalism into question, only form. Toby, for me, has been performing just as poorly as all of them.

In regards to professionalism, I don't agree that Jan has acted unprofessionally. Eriksen is a massive question mark for me and Rose is just a bonehead who has been paying for his mistake since that stupid interview. What I can say for sure though is all four of them have been extremely poor this season.

Based on his comments, I'm expecting this line-up (which probably means I'm totally wrong!):

Gazza
N'dombele, Winks
Moura, Eriksen, Son,
Kane.

It will be very out of character to not start Sissoko. Poch has been very cautious with Ndombele ever since his injury.

It will be very out of character to not start Sissoko. Poch has been very cautious with Ndombele ever since his injury.

Sissoko is superhuman....well until he breaks down of course, that's a matter of when not if perhaps. I think we may need maximum creativity to break the blades defence down. Pace down the wings maybe ?.

Poch knows this wont be easy after giving credit to the Blades set up and spirit. I dont think we can out spirit them so we need to outclass them technically to maybe break that spirit.

Sissoko is superhuman....well until he breaks down of course, that's a matter of when not if perhaps. I think we may need maximum creativity to break the blades defence down. Pace down the wings maybe ?.

Superhuman ...except when he is in front of goal ....then he is super whimp..another example when he shot against Red Star...it left the ground almost ha ha

Gazza
N'dombele, Winks
Moura, Eriksen, Son,
Kane.
Damn, I can see a team like that as well.

I'll be pissed if Lo Celso doesn't start for us this weekend, but plays full games for Argentina in their upcoming games against Brazil and Uruguay. We are not here to make sure he's fit and rested for his national team at the expense of our own.