Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheffield United FC (The Blades founded 1889) | Page 18 | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur vs Sheffield United FC (The Blades founded 1889)

NRD, I completely agree that these 5 and basic steps are NOT the answer to turning Spurs back into the form we all expect. Far from it. They are simply "things' that should be happening. Kane has not had service for many months now. Our back line is a dogs breakfast.
Look, this list goes on.
Get rid of Poch, Eriksen Serge and Verts immediately. Commence the rebuild before Christmas and before we sink too low to avoid relegation.

I agree our back line is weak and this would be my first priority. It always makes sense to build from the back. Poch bringing in Dier might be his attempt at trying to strengthen our back line. Yes he looks rusty but he has to play to get rid of that.

Kane, Son, Lamela, Moura, and Alli have all retained their expressive style of play. Son is criticized for being selfish, Alli for his flicks, Kane has started to show a more creative side , Lamela has not changed his style of play, Moura does not defend much. That's 5 players Poch has not had a detrimental effect on. Eriksen has another agenda of his own, I dont believe Poch has coached creativeness out of him. Sissoko has been transformed into a virtually unique player whereas before he was a liability.
IMO, there are subtleties involved here. Being coached out put in to context if you like.

Kane is NOT the player of 2/3 years ago. His natural style of past is no longer there due to injuries, flogged to death and dross around him. Effectively he is no longer able to express himself fluently in our current setup. Dropping deep etc, imo, is to compensate our failure to find upcoming forward thinking midfielders. Furthermore, he is an anomaly and should not be a benchmark for others. Without him, we'd be up a creek.

Dele is no longer the player what caught the world by storm. His flicks and tricks style was complemented by his trademark forays and goal scoring. Again, hampered by injuries, off field issues, overhype(?) and not well complemented in the setup. Coached out - adapting to another forced style.

Lamela, yes, exception, But making infrequent appearances as he's done all his career at Spurs. We persevere with it and replacements were shite (N's are examples)

Sonny, arguably still the same as when he arrived, not necessarily a good thing as IMO he should've, like others, been coached to improve on decision-making.

Moura does not defend much?. Well, had we got our freaking defence & DM recruitment sorted may be our AM's can do more damage up front than being constantly demanded to help our creaking backline.

My conclusion is that had we addressed our squad needs on a continual basis, the players with natural talent could've be allowed to focus on developing their skills further. IMO, they have all stagnated and some regressed in the setup that we have descended to.

I haven't even mentioned how we have also overlooked that teams have sussed out our one-dimensional play and players and thus negate our so called talent. If they are not coached to the next level, then as per the team, they have either stagnated or regressed. The world, including Sheffield United, has moved on. Kane was in United defenders' pocket at the weekend and I don't think they were even int'l standard?.

And highlighting Sissoko as an example in this debate....just shows what a joke we have become.

Last edited:

Honestly no way to make any reasonable analysis of the situation based upon a single frame like this.

First question, which blows up all the criticism, is "What happened prior to cause our players to be in the spots they are...."

I see a double team by Foyth/Snchz, a double team by Davies/Dier, Winks cutting off the cutting pass to the middle w Dier as his inside cover, Sissoko sliding in for cover behind Winks & in front of Foyth, and GLC & Son coming back from attacking positions to help as well. The outside man is free, sure, but he's also 40+ yards from the goal, at the moment the least threatening.

4 opposing players in threatening positions, covered by 6 defending Spurs.

A moment in time, looks pretty good. Wonder what happened next.

So just take a look at the frame above, just before their goal. Once again Son is in absolute no mans land. Sanchez and Dier both free but Davies inside. Lo Celso in no mans land. Only 8 outfield players in shot, so 4 of them out of the game being way ahead of play.

How does this shit keep happening to us under Poch's management? You see it every week.

Well said. That's a great shot by the way. Great example.

Honestly no way to make any reasonable analysis of the situation based upon a single frame like this.

First question, which blows up all the criticism, is "What happened prior to cause our players to be in the spots they are...."

I see a double team by Foyth/Snchz, a double team by Davies/Dier, Winks cutting off the cutting pass to the middle w Dier as his inside cover, Sissoko sliding in for cover behind Winks & in front of Foyth, and GLC & Son coming back from attacking positions to help as well. The outside man is free, sure, but he's also 40+ yards from the goal, at the moment the least threatening.

4 opposing players in threatening positions, covered by 6 defending Spurs.

A moment in time, looks pretty good. Wonder what happened next.

To be fair you can't load a 10 second roll on here because of the file size issue. I'd happily do that but technology doesn't permit. I was just using the frame as an example.

So feel free to watch the link instead -

So many root causes for me. It's not what happened next tough. It's before, during and after that identifies issues. Look at it player by player and tell me whether it's acceptable defending from a so-called top 4 team.

GLC - the only midfielder legitimately out of the game. Lost a challenge for a loose ball where he wasn't favourite to win it and ended up on his arse.

Son - had got partially back and misled Winks into believing he had one of their players covered. He then run forward instead of backwards. You can't make it up. You would think he would cover for GLC who was rightly out of the game. He had no awareness of the guy on the right wing either in any of their move.

Winks - knew Sissoko was too far right and out of the game but didn't drop deep enough. He wasn't in any position to protect his defence.

Sissoko - out of position and just slowly jogged back and then saw number 7 run right past him and didn't go with him. Total ball watching.

Davies - was perhaps the victim. Tucked into mark a man I don't believe he should be marking and gets no protection ahead of him. Alway knew that assister for the goal was on his outside but couldn't do much about it when both centre halves are free.

Dier - the only one to be proactive. He sensed the mess up going on in midfield and tried to step out and shut down their player. He was the only one that sprinted back in but couldn't get there in time. Obviously took the bullets but I'd content it wasn't really his fault.

Sanchez - got back into a great position and knew that Dier had lost the goalscorer. Could have easily stepped across to challenge him but just ball watched.

Foyth - marked his man, stayed with his man and even tried to block his path to slow down his path. Proper defending

Lord Lucan - so Aurier doesn't appear in any frame. According to the press he was feigning injury and slowly making his way back. He was then running perfectly fine when we were attacking.

I can go on and on but there is no defending Spurs for that goal. My humble opinion but you shouldn't be able to see 5 or 6 player errors in a single goal without questioning the manager's tactics and players attitudes. We're playing an arrogant game if we think we don't need to do get back to some basics and address our defending like the bottom sides have to. We could easily be with them soon. I get that all the players are only human but the regularity of these errors is very concerning to me and also why I have so many question marks about Poch at this time.

lol - that's funny. Clearly you can load he entire highlights from YouTube reel but not create a small enough file doing it on your laptop. I'll remember that in future.

Ultimately Davies came close to blocking the shot/ cross ( not sure what it was ), Dier also almost made it back and I'm not sure if his head made contact or not. The ball had bend on it and narrowly missed two of our defenders. I don't know if that was intentional or if there was a deflection. Davies came that close to blocking it, he probably made the right decision to stay back and not rush towards the scorer.

It has been suggested the goal from the blades was a miss hit cross !! I would suggest it was fortunate. Interestingly Poch is defending Dier and said he felt he had a good game especially as he was booked very early. This could be Poch supporting a player who is coming back into the team and possibly seen as important in turning our defence around. Foyth could be another player seen as being part of the defence problem.

Ultimately Davies came close to blocking the shot/ cross ( not sure what it was ), Dier also almost made it back and I'm not sure if his head made contact or not. The ball had bend on it and narrowly missed two of our defenders. I don't know if that was intentional or if there was a deflection. Davies came that close to blocking it, he probably made the right decision to stay back and not rush towards the scorer.

I guess the point I'm making is that we all know you can normally make a mistake and get away with not conceding. They're only human after all. If you make two, then it's more likely. When you have a whole bunch making errors, you get what you deserve even though a couple did nothing wrong. It comes from the shape and the tactics.

I'd rather us put an emphasis on "defend first" for a while. We're also better on the counter than we give ourselves credit for and it suits Ndombele, Lo Celso, Son etc.

I guess the point I'm making is that we all know you can normally make a mistake and get away with not conceding. They're only human after all. If you make two, then it's more likely. When you have a whole bunch making errors, you get what you deserve even though a couple did nothing wrong. It comes from the shape and the tactics.

I'd rather us put an emphasis on "defend first" for a while. We're also better on the counter than we give ourselves credit for and it suits Ndombele, Lo Celso, Son etc.

I agree, get the defence sorted as a priority. It might be old fashioned but build from the back is frequently mentioned especially when new managers go into a club to prevent relegation. At the moment our tactics are exposing a defence already struggling irrespective of who's fault it is.

I agree our back line is weak and this would be my first priority. It always makes sense to build from the back. Poch bringing in Dier might be his attempt at trying to strengthen our back line. Yes he looks rusty but he has to play to get rid of that.

If you believe Dier has potentially what it takes to be effective for Spurs then yes, that would be a plan. It's just so hard to get an understanding of who is rusty and who just simply lacks ability. I read somewhere that Poch has not started the same 11 in 94 games, so there will be plenty of rust covering player's inability or ability. Who the hell knows?

Such a blatant mis management of what was and possibility still is, a wonderful squad. A squad that is quickly losing interest, respect and with that, a will to play their hearts out.

What a damn mess. Cheers Poch!

If you believe Dier has potentially what it takes to be effective for Spurs then yes, that would be a plan. It's just so hard to get an understanding of who is rusty and who just simply lacks ability. I read somewhere that Poch has not started the same 11 in 94 games, so there will be plenty of rust covering player's inability or ability. Who the hell knows?

Such a blatant mis management of what was and possibility still is, a wonderful squad. A squad that is quickly losing interest, respect and with that, a will to play their hearts out.

What a damn mess. Cheers Poch!

I'm not sure what the 94 games actually indicates. He tends to rotate the RB and LB. He has injuries to deal with, youth to bring forward, new players to integrate and lesser cups to roatate his PL side for. It's a bit of a blanket stat that needs further breaking down to reveal the true extent of its meaning.

I'm not sure what the 94 games actually indicates. He tends to rotate the RB and LB. He has injuries to deal with, youth to bring forward, new players to integrate and lesser cups to roatate his PL side for. It's a bit of a blanket stat that needs further breaking down to reveal the true extent of its meaning.

Defensive frailty. IMO is the first casualty.