Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle United FC | Page 11 | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle United FC

Would be all over Shelvey as a replacement for Sissoko.... perfect plan A or B

I agree, he has the aggression, the drive and the attitude you long for in a midfield fighter and leader.

That said, he's nasty, doesn't mind being physical and isn't the most skilful at times, but he's a good passer of the ball - with better coaching I think he'd make a first class DM'er..

I'd have him, he's just what we're lacking.

Just about made it - a bit lucky and thanks to Huddersfield for their unexpected draw - but we should have sealed this weeks ago. Much relief and Season Ticket balance paid when I got home!

I just watched back te “highlights” if Newcastle had a striker we would have been toast. - a bit like the Watford game actually.

I think Sanchez has done well this season, however he is currently not fit to lace Toby’s boots and there are people that think he’s ready.

Sissoko and Wanyama is the most negative, anti football CM pairing I’ve seen us play, and Newcastle still cut through them at will, please just sell Sissoko in the summer.

Son was woeful as well.

No remonstration for Vertonghen who also had a poor game!?

The way I see it, Sissoko is 5th choice centre mid behind Dier, Wanyama, Dembele and Winks. Where would I have Shelvey if he replaced Sissoko?......5th choice. That to me tells me it's completely the wrong signing. We need to be signing a top quality centre mid who is demoting the other 4 players.

Last night Shlevey hit the post and sprayed a few along passes. I was at Wembley last night and he barely did anything else. It was Diame and Ritchie that was holding their midfield together and putting in a huge shift for their team.

I would also give Lascelles huge kudos. He stood firm all night and was the best centre half on the pitch. No way he deserved to be on the losing side.

I agree, he has the aggression, the drive and the attitude you long for in a midfield fighter and leader.

That said, he's nasty, doesn't mind being physical and isn't the most skilful at times, but he's a good passer of the ball - with better coaching I think he'd make a first class DM'er..

I'd have him, he's just what we're lacking.

Interesting thought, and one I never really considered seriously...though it could be a steal if he can keep his head. MP may bring out best in him.

Interesting thought, and one I never really considered seriously...though it could be a steal if he can keep his head. MP may bring out best in him.

there are times in a season when you need players who have the mentality, but who may not be the best in their position - even in our multi-national squads you need vocal leaders who can dish it out and get people thinking and up for it in a game when it matters.

I really think it's something we badly lack at times - we're great when it's all going our way, but tend to be to inwardly focused at times.

Mourinho has just said as much about his own squad; and I bet if he was of the same type of personality/manager as him, (which he isn't) Poch would echo/repeat his thoughts - I've put the Mourinho winning mentality comments in the open terrace.

there are times in a season when you need players who have the mentality, but who may not be the best in their position - even in our multi-national squads you need vocal leaders who can dish it out and get people thinking and up for it in a game when it matters.

I really think it's something we badly lack at times - we're great when it's all going our way, but tend to be to inwardly focused at times.

Mourinho has just said as much about his own squad; and I bet if he was of the same type of personality/manager as him, (which he isn't) Poch would echo/repeat his thoughts - I've put the Mourinho winning mentality comments in the open terrace.

Agree having a vocal field general on the pitch is a huge missing piece for us. (Again a Parker type mentality). Someone who will kick our guys in the ass a bit when needed. We kind of have a squad of introverts on the pitch.

Agree having a vocal field general on the pitch is a huge missing piece for us. (Again a Parker type mentality). Someone who will kick our guys in the ass a bit when needed. We kind of have a squad of introverts on the pitch.

Finding genuine leaders in the modern game is even harder than it ever was - and sometimes you will compromise quality for it - but so much of what has been achieved at Newcastle this year was because of how hard Rafa worked on their mentality and promoted the use of a 'hard man leading the 11' which has been a hallmark of his managerial career.

we need to find the same sort of steel and leadership, somehow, even if we do have to compromise on 'quality' - it's an absolute must for me.

Finding genuine leaders in the modern game is even harder than it ever was - and sometimes you will compromise quality for it - but so much of what has been achieved at Newcastle this year was because of how hard Rafa worked on their mentality and promoted the use of a 'hard man leading the 11' which has been a hallmark of his managerial career.

we need to find the same sort of steel and leadership, somehow, even if we do have to compromise on 'quality' - it's an absolute must for me.
Agree totally Ex,when was the last time we had a Keane/Gerrard type leader that grabs the game by the scruff of the neck and pushes the team on to winning games,while not playing well. Unfortunately there is not too many players of that Calibre playing in the League at the moment, apart from Noble at Spam.

Agree entirely Ex, why is that do you think ?

Is it down to modern day coaching, where at a young age the only voice allowed on the pitch is the coaches ?

I have always expected Toby to be our leader of that sort. Much better option for a Captain than a Striker or a Goalie.

I also think Dier has the right mentality for the role. If he can become our absolute 1st choice DCM, then a Toby/Dier field leadership combo could be great for us.

I don't think Toby is going anywhere, so maybe that'll be our Captain & VIce Captain for next season.

The choice of captain has always been a bit weird at Tottenham for the last few years . We even gave the job to Adebayor (can't remember how he spells his name) at one point , when everyone was screaming out for him to be sold.
I've always thought that having a goalkeeper as captain is like giving the job to someone as a favour because he is very good at what he does and you don't want to lose him .
I'm not saying that Hugo is a bad captain but in my experience it is natural to have someone " on the pitch" , someone that can have a word in your Ear as he runs past , alter things around for that vital couple of minutes before half time to protect a lead for example ,without the opposition hearing it . Being mobile and knowing what is going on all over the pitch, at all times and able to do something about it immediately .
With the new laws limiting the captain to be be the only one who can have a word with the ref ( allegedly , I wish someone would tell MU that) ,it makes sense to have a more 'mobile ' choice .

I think I have just seen one of the funniest things ever , regarding Noble, at the sham v mu game when he went after Pogba . Now that guy Noble has some bollocks . Kind of reminded me of Dave Mackay and Billy Bremner ,although in this case , Noble hit the proverbial brick wall as Pogba just stood there two foot above him , not moving . Got to give him credit though , he didn't back out of it , maybe that is the type of captain we need , as Vinnie said .
Don't think we will ever see Hugo doing that . ,!!
At the moment I don't really see anyone in our squad who has that " natural " quality , a meat eater , as USAF puts it , . Maybe Dier, but he needs to step up to be undroppable. Southgate likes him and made him England Captain in Harry's absence . Does he have enough about him to rouse the troops though

I am still buzzing!!! CL 3 years in a row. More excellent football to watch. :party::band2::taz::guns::banana::rocker::rotfl::wahey::cool::clap::grinning::bow::yes::thumbup:(y):tophat::toot:

And this is for Hazard: :finger:

The sound of silence is deafening from the Chavs . Wonder what Hazard is hunting down now . A good book to read on Tuesday and Wednesday nights would be handy and a diary that keeps Thursdays free for him.
I see the party is still going well 80 . I bet the neighbours are loving you

Most top players are crash test dummies......take the money and keep the gob shut merchants....so no real obvious old style leaders amongst them...

Agree entirely Ex, why is that do you think ?

Is it down to modern day coaching, where at a young age the only voice allowed on the pitch is the coaches ?

My future son-in-law is both a semi-professional player and a coach/partner of his own highly selective academy (a pretty successful one) : he takes kids at all ages and technically/physically/mentally improves them and works with a number of scouts to get them into professional Academies/first professional contracts.

The question of the mental toughness of the kids has been something that has taxed him and others for sometime; I can be accused of being very generalist here but essentially he'd say that the lack of competitive enviroments in early school/surroundings and up bringing by Parents is now such that so few of them have the backbone/will and iron determination to suceed - they haven't faced adversity and come through - so whilst he and others can produce technically competent, even gifted players he has to find ways to toughen them up both physically and mentally - and he tells me that most parents object to this type of conditioning, even after it's been explained to them why it's so necessary.

So he would say our PC upbringings/parental softness/lack of hardship/lack of competitiveness in schools etc combine to produce mentally fragile kids - that clubs then spend years trying to combat.

But what you can't do is teach leadership to those who are too afraid to take up the challenge naturally.

Of course, he would tell you that kids from broken families, from tougher backgrounds who haven't been pampered / protected often display the right attitudes and backbone, the problem is that now days they don't have the facilities to play the game daily and hone your mental skills in the way that previous generations did.

I don't know the answers, it's now a common issue across Europe and he and other international coaches had a whole debate about it in a tournament in Belgium at the bank holiday and concluded that it is a societal problem and all they can do is look for mental and physical toughness in players from overseas, as local western European kids that have it are a shrinking pool.

He's just recruited two Japanese kids who he says (watching them at weekend) make the locals look as soft as wet sponges and who also have the attitude to match.

All I know is when you look at the hugely succesful teams in the PL history you can easily name the 'hard' men / natural vocal leaders/ tough players that drove their teams upwards and onwards - I don't see that man or men at Spurs and haven't for a long time, somehow we have to find or make those players to turn above average footballers with an above average coach into winners.

Woah let's can the crazy talk. Shelvey is nearly as stupid an idea as Sisoko was and I do mean nearly. He is Ill disciplined and no way good enough for where we want to be. He sprayed a few balls around last night whilst as one poster pointed out Richie, and Diame worked. Also I know for a fact as anything but a starter he is a poor squad man. He'd last five mins under Poch. This is the same bloke got a five game racially motivated ban we are talking about. He's a bald Charlie Adam. I can off my head think of five players better than him we could get.

Woah let's can the crazy talk. Shelvey is nearly as stupid an idea as Sisoko was and I do mean nearly. He is Ill disciplined and no way good enough for where we want to be. He sprayed a few balls around last night whilst as one poster pointed out Richie, and Diame worked. Also I know for a fact as anything but a starter he is a poor squad man. He'd last five mins under Poch. This is the same bloke got a five game racially motivated ban we are talking about. He's a bald Charlie Adam. I can off my head think of five players better than him we could get.

Charlie Adam is a bit harsh, they guy has great technique and is a proper footballer.

I have to admit I always enjoyed watching him, and saw him as a mad genius. Good passing, great with both feet, aggressive ( albeit a bit too much sometimes) and a leader.

That said the risk is certainly there.