Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United FC (The Red Devils) | Page 14 | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester United FC (The Red Devils)

Pogba should have been off and they should have had at least 3 players booked for fouls by half time if our first booking was anything to go by.
Dean really does like to do a number on us I thin.
I also think he is Jasper Carrot in disguise

The big problem will be the holding role. The losses of Dier, Wanyama (in more ways than one), Dembele (almost certainly off to China for his retirement fund) and now the resurgent Sissoko; who gets to effectively protect the middle of the back line...not Harry Winks, too lightweight...maybe Foyth if he has the intelligence for the position, or Davies...not sure, but there seems to be options, just don't know how they'll work out.
I am not sure if anybody has mentioned I feel Carl -Walker Peters would make an able Defensive Midfield option

It only worked in the first two thirds of the pitch, that was the problem, we were again reduced to speculative shots from outside the pen area, or trying to walk it through the defence to get into a packed defensive area, OGS did his homework on this one and out foxed Poch, as most of the shots we had were straight at de gea due to pressure on the shooter and them having no real time to compose set themselves up, Wew just don't seem to be the sort of team that takes that first time effort and be able to get it on target and in the net more often than not.
I's not that I like moaning Nick as I will give praise where it's due, I just don't see things through rose tinted spectacles any more having supported Spurs since the early 60s.

idk how two people can watch the same game and see it so completely differently. I wouldn't say any of our chances were speculative. We had a handful of golden chances to score and would have buried them a another day.

Last edited:
I'm probably the only one here who would like to see more of Llorente on the pitch. I think Harry enjoys having someone else as a target man.Llorente has vision & skill to lay the ball off intelligently & open up a tight defence.There's no substitute for experience & he has bags of it.
I was right about Sissoko ,I'm sure my gut feeling about Llorente is right too. I shall await the usual insults but my skin is thick so fire away!

Jenus has studied the positioning of Lloris and De Gea for similar attempts on goal by Kane and Rashfords which went in.

Hugo positioned himself closer to and outside of his near post which created the angle for Radford.

De Gea was further back with the post in front of him which narrowed the angle for Kane.

Hugo left himself too much to do.

I'm probably the only one here who would like to see more of Llorente on the pitch. I think Harry enjoys having someone else as a target man.Llorente has vision & skill to lay the ball off intelligently & open up a tight defence.There's no substitute for experience & he has bags of it.
I was right about Sissoko ,I'm sure my gut feeling about Llorente is right too. I shall await the usual insults but my skin is thick so fire away!
Greavesy, I might be in the minority when I say, I agree with you.

Lately when Llorente has been called upon, he's done the job pretty well imo. Against United he put the ball on the plate for Harry to mess it up. He can be an able partner for Kane.

Son for me has ALWAYS been hit/miss, he has spells when he's on fire (some even talked about his ballon d'or credentials!!!). Last three games he has been meh. Dele too has had 4 x indifferent games. Eriksen was quiet too.

Our front four were purring when we scored for fun, but seems all went missing at the same time.

This is entirely true; our finishing was once again poor; Son, Kane and particularly Dele all had clearcut chances but all conspired to hit about a half dozen (or more) at DeGea’s chest, feet, or legs; so as |I said, we blew.

They get one clear cut chance, and buried it.
When Dele failed to convert his beautifully played breakaway, I felt it was not our day.

David De Gea: Technique that makes Manchester United goalkeeper world’s best at saving with his feet
new
David Preece, former goalkeeper and goalkeeping coach
January 14 2019, 5:00pm, The Times
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F0b90cbfe-1819-11e9-abc2-c39e91e3ea05.png

De Gea’s performance against Spurs was full of fine saves, many of which were with his feet
Save

David De Gea produced 95 minutes of goalkeeping perfection on Sunday at Wembley, staying calm and composed despite the onslaught from Tottenham Hotspur in the second half. It was a faultless performance that has gone some way to restoring the Manchester United goalkeeper’s stellar reputation after critics had questioned his displays over the past year.

In isolation some of his 11 saves could be described as routine, and ones that you would expect a Premier League goalkeeper to make, but that overlooks the manner in which he kept his concentration for so long and was in the perfect position each time to stop Harry Kane and Spurs. Technically, he was flawless.

Premier League clips powered by Sky Sports

1547494268158.png

De Gea thwarts Spurs as Solskjaer passes early audition for permanent role
The more that Spurs put pressure on De Gea and the United defence, the higher his confidence soared, and he was more than a match for any of the home side’s shots on target. De Gea excels in this type of situation, similarly to Jan Oblak, of Atlético Madrid. They are both goalkeepers who are exceptional shot-stoppers and who play deep towards their goal line.

That is not to say they could not play effectively in a team managed by Pep Guardiola or Jürgen Klopp, where there is plenty of emphasis on distribution, but De Gea and Oblak are both with clubs where their main responsibilities are those you would traditionally associate with a goalkeeper: stopping shots, dealing with crosses and simple distribution.

De Gea and Oblak are different to goalkeepers such as Ederson, of Manchester City, or Liverpool’s Alisson, in the same way that a predatory Sergio Agüero, of City, is a completely different striker to a more all-round type of forward such as Bayern Munich’s Robert Lewandowski. It is all about being the right fit for their respective team.

The United goalkeeper, 28, has become a master of playing deep in his goal, which allows him extra time to see and respond to shots but he has also become a master of patience, illustrated perfectly in his one-on-one situation against the Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli. It was a game of who-blinks-first that the Spaniard won after putting pressure on the attacking player by standing up as late as possible so as to not give away any advantage.

What stood out most, as it often does, was De Gea’s use of his feet to block shots that were fired low towards goal. That’s what goalkeeping is about; efficient movements and effective actions. De Gea makes saves with his feet from an unnatural stance — with his legs spread wide apart — because he is able to reach the ball quicker with his feet than he could with his hands. The ball can also be deflected farther away from immediate danger with his feet than if he had made the save with his hand.

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F93258330-1827-11e9-944c-54b267eb465b.jpg

De Gea’s save from Alderweireld - again with his feet - was arguably his best of the matchClive Rose/Getty Images
Taking up a traditional set position when dealing with shots from mid-range of eight to 18 yards away, goalkeepers are taught to keep their feet shoulder-width apart, perhaps a little wider, so they can move their feet and still react to low shots with their hands. But the theory is changing on this. A wide stance with legs far apart, as De Gea often adopts, allows him to shift his weight to his heels and use his feet more readily to meet balls that most goalkeepers would try to go for with their hands. In turn, this allows him to keep his hands in a higher position ready for shots that are above waist height and not worry about using them to get down low as his feet have got that area of the goal covered.

A prime example of this is how the Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris reacted in the build-up to Marcus Rashford’s winning goal on Sunday. It was a great finish but Lloris’s hurried positioning was slightly too far forward and a step too far beyond his near post. The Frenchman’s feet were too narrow, so when he did eventually dive he had to take a jump out of that narrow set position before he could dive to try to stop Rashford’s low strike. It was inefficient movement and ineffectual action.

As with many elite goalkeepers, De Gea’s calmness of mind is his biggest strength and allows him to make the right decisions and take up the best positions. This is perfectly illustrated in two situations: the save at his near post with his feet to stop Toby Alderweireld, the Tottenham centre back, and his final decisive intervention in the match which was to come and punch away a cross deep into stoppage time. That second one deserved more praise than it received and was as important as any of his saves.

I can understand the reaction of those who say that De Gea was only doing what is expected of him but do strikers worry if their goals are scored from one yard or 20? No, and goalkeepers don’t worry about how they save the ball either.

It's bad enough that he stuck a boot out to stop everything thrown at him , do we have to keep on about it . He is a lanky streak of piss that just had one of those days that nearly all goalkeeper s have against us .
We would do better buying two metre Peter and chucking him between the sticks ,see how much praise he would get .
We should have won 6-1. .......we didn't . Yet again we have to get over it and move on .
COYS ...................anyone got any news on Harry

idk how two people can watch the same game and see it so completely differently. I wouldn't say any of our chances were speculative. We had a handful of golden chances to score and would have buried them a another day.
Couldn't agree more mate .well said Freund . Had even four of those chances gone in ,we would be title contenders and Poch would have booked his taxi to manure ,according to those media comedians

It's bad enough that he stuck a boot out to stop everything thrown at him , do we have to keep on about it . He is a lanky streak of piss that just had one of those days that nearly all goalkeeper s have against us .
We would do better buying two metre Peter and chucking him between the sticks ,see how much praise he would get .
We should have won 6-1. .......we didn't . Yet again we have to get over it and move on .
COYS ...................anyone got any news on Harry

Exactly...I am still waiting for 80 to post the Fulham match thread!! Damn slacker!!!

Here we go, just two speculative shots, Winks blasting the ball "at goal" twice but missing by a mile, and there were loads more like that.
If you notice I also said that we tried walking the ball in through the defence.
I dispute that we would have burried those chances on another day because they would have played exactly the same way, either smothering us with numbers and or giving us no time to shoot properly from inside the pen area.
Our players apart from Kane usually, but he is becoming more guilty of it nowadays, seem to need that extra touch to tee the ball up perfectly for the shot rather than take it first time, Dele is a prime example of this, they didn't give us the luxury of the time we needed for that extra touch, hence no goals as almost everything had to be hurried and we weren't able to put the ball where it was needed, it was more "Shit I need to get this shot off NOW before they rob the ball from me" so no goals.
As I said Ole did his homework for this one and outfoxed Poch.
We can't use tiredness or injuries as an excuse as we outplayed them in two thirds of the pitch a lot of the time.
By the way Ido feel that Gazza and De Gea would have saved that shot as both of them would have been better positioned, De Gea would have saved it using his feet, he is more old school and is more how I used to play, though obviously not to that standard, than the way Hugo plays. Which is why his shot stopping is so phenomenal, he stays back further which gives you just that split second more time to get to the ball, it really does work, I figured this one out well early on, and FDe Gea employs similar tactics.

Solskaer out foxed Poch is rubbish...they had their clear chance because of a crap pass from trips....tell me how he outfoxed us especially in the second half?

Oh I know he said Davied you need to put in a world class golkeeping performance...and by the way I have got the ref fully on board ...he won't give them any free kicks for bad tackles and will not red card any of our players...FFS...outfoxed my arse

Solskaer out foxed Poch is rubbish...they had their clear chance because of a crap pass from trips....tell me how he outfoxed us especially in the second half?

Oh I know he said Davied you need to put in a world class golkeeping performance...and by the way I have got the ref fully on board ...he won't give them any free kicks for bad tackles and will not red card any of our players...FFS...outfoxed my arse

I don't think we were out thought tactically, to allow attackers to get that close to scoring and relying on last ditch pressure on the shot is clutching at straws. I admit our shooting was not good enough but De Gea did his job and Hugo didn't. It's no good sweeping the issue under the carpet and moving on. Top pros have compared the two keepers to try and highlight differences and it's worth debating.

So Winks in space outside the box and having a pop is speculative and the 1v1s against the GK by Kane and Dele are too. Got it.

I'm guessing it's only a non speculative effort if it goes in.