Tottenham Hotspur vs. Manchester City FC | Page 7 | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur vs. Manchester City FC

The ref needs a kicking for giving that penalty and another for denying us a pen when Lamelas ankle was stepped on by their defender. The ref changed the game. Trouble is it can’t be retrieved.

Lamela lost control and kicked the ball too far ahead to keep it in play. No surprise there lol. Maybe if he had better control he might have given the ref a question to answer.

It's not so much the defeat,it's the manner in which we lost that is most galling, I think Lloriis needs to be dropped/rested,he's cost us in the last two games,Vorm is a top keeper and deserves his chance,also we have given Chelski a lifeline for top 4, although it's a slim one. Would anyone here be shocked if they pipped us for 4th !!!
I wouldn't.?

We did not press we were not sure if we should press or hang back so always in two minds...we were frightened of them...we lost it in the players minds BEFORE we got on the pitch. Come out like that again next sat and Manure will do the same to us as city did today!!!!!

I don't agree with the way MP handled that game. We certainly weren't prepared. The rest is conjecture but it doesn't change the fact that he got it wrong.

Now we need to win two more games quickly.

Well almost glad storm knocked power out at my house for last two days. Missed match and just now catching up.

Kind of glad I didn’t see that train wreck by what you all are saying.

Guess we will see how we respond...

Tuesdays game is now massive as within 2 games the 10 point gap could be 4 and the pressure starts to build.

One thing we have been consistently good at is bottling. Although I did not expect us to beat City, not because they are particularly brilliant as Pool and Utd showed, but because Poch doesn’t learn very quickly. Having lost, and Chelsea winning, the potential for unforced squeaky bum time raises its ugly head.

Personally, I would like to see us adopt Pool’s model with fast FB’s, an intelligent donkey and two fast goal-scoring runners up front. In our case we only have one fast FB (KWP) but it would be a start, we have Kane for the donkey role and Son and Moura for the fast running goal-scorers. I would also like to see Foyth have a chance in CM in place of Dier as he reads the game well, is good on the ball and his passing is usually positive, plus he can tackle.

I don’t know whether any of that makes sense but I do know that if we fail to make top 4 from here Poch will have lost a lot of his sparkle.

Really poor performance. We just didn't turn up. Tactics were all wrong, players looked mentally weak. Same old.

Next two games are massive. We must win both. Nothing else will do.

I didn't really expect us to win and there is no shame in losing to them in the context of the table. It was the manner of the loss that was worrying. Let's hope we can bounce back with a flourish.

Given todays results for manure and the arse our loss to the new champions does not seem as bad..in hindsight....
Unfortunately, it represents opportunity loss. We could hv been within 1 point of Manure. I m not quite bothered to compare with Arsenal at all.
I guess if we want to measure progress and get closer to success, we must measure against the good not the mediocre.
Amongst the 'best of the rest', only Liverpool can be considered to hv improved. They hd spent money on some ggod buys and got reimbursed fully by Coutinho sale.
Personnel wise, we hv been weakened. Sanchez is ok for a rookie but is no Toby, maybe give him 2 more years of experience. Wanya has dropped, Dembo is on and off. Alli is also on and off this season. Lloris..the less said better. Aurier, he gives heart attack. Moura holds some hope but will he get ahead of Son and Lamela for that one winger position?
Walker has proven a point immediately, much higher pay and champions medal right away. Next year, Toby will proof at least the salary improvement part when he moves to wherever. Can't bear to think when Barca come and nick Eriksen away. I hv little doubt that if Barca or RM call, Eriksen is gone. Both needs to replace their ageing midfield creators. Meanwhile Levy doubles his pay. That is the sickening part. We need owners like Henry of Liverfool. OTW we will waste our golden generation and Levy and Lewis will just get more equity value. Quite sad.

With the Utd game, there's 2 schools of thought. The first is to let them worry about us. We're at home, a great team with a great home record so why should we adjust our tactics and formation. The second is to do our homework on Utd and put a plan in place that nullifies their best players and targets their weak areas like left back.

Unfortunately, my guess is that Poch will do exactly as he did against City and change nothing tactically. He'll adopt the 4-2-3-1 and we already know who will play, except for maybe the Lamela vs Son selection.

Mourinho is a serial trophy winner and a master tactician. Let's hope Poch doesn't play right into his hands like he did with Pep on Saturday.

M C outplayed us yesterday ,and although we gave them a good game , we weren't good enough and maybe we were playing for the semi final .I said before the weekend that the MC game wasn't crucial to our season . Bin dippers winning made it more interesting for us to finish second , but it's still there . Nine points guarantees CL next season , same as before the weekend . Chavs won't win every game. They were awful yesterday, not as bad as M U today though. We keep our heads , and we achieve what only a few thought possible , CL at our new stadium

I didn't think City were that great. A long hoof and a misgiven pen was the difference. Lloris cost us any points. Sterling was wasteful as usual, Debruyne didn't do that much apart from his flick. Walker didn't cause us many problems, we could have had 2 serious injuries with Alli and Lamela being trampled in the box. A better ref and Vorm may have won us the game.

Jon Moss always worries me . ............agree with you about the penalties we should have had .
Sterling was always going to go down in the box, he is a serial penalty winner. Contact was obviously outside the box otherwise Lloris would have gone hands first for the ball.
Verts and Sanchez had good games . Davies should have been sent off. He was apologising to Kompany after the final whistle. I do like Vincent Kompany , good bloke and a great player , just a shame he plays for MC

M C outplayed us yesterday ,and although we gave them a good game , we weren't good enough and maybe we were playing for the semi final

Honestly I thought Man City were a bit shit. They were misplacing passes, missing easy opportunities and generally looked a bit all over the place. They were there for the taking but we didn't show up until the end of the first half. It's really frustrating as I think a 7/10 Tottenham performance in the first half might have got us to half time in the lead, instead it was 3/10 for me.

Poch usually says after a defeat that he was happy with the performance, but we didn't work hard enough in the first half -( or something along those lines) but overall he was happy with the effort the players put in.

This time I noticed a very different answer. He said that he was very disappointed because we were "really, really, really poor" for 25 minutes. I made it closer to 35 minutes but ultimately he was completely right - we were utter shit for around half an hour and really deserved to be 4 or 5 down by the time we started playing. He made no complaints about the "non penalty" because he knows we deserved the bad luck we got as we'd given them so many chances before that anyway.

It's a shame after a 14 match unbeaten run to put in such a poor performance, but hopefully it's out our system now and we can win our last 5 league games and a couple FA Cup matches to turn this into a great season.

We need to put this shambles behind us ONLY if we learn from it.
Our Achilles heal seems to be the mental preparation of our players from Captain LLoris to Sanchez and Kane. Not sure Kane should've been out there. Benching him would've done wonders for his recovery and also for his attitude, that he cant just fall back into this side, half arsed.
Poch also needs to give himself an uppercut.

We always seem to bottle it when an opportunity presents itself. With UTD losing we could've crept up behind them for that physiological blow prior to the Cup.

Ah well. CL again next season, but really want to finish above Pool.