Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa FC The Lions | Page 22 | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa FC The Lions

It did seem odd.
Jan sat in the stands with his massive sunglasses on and no real explanation from Poch.
On the other hand I take on (what I think Ex) was saying about if Sanchez is gonna be in from next season he needs to play. One of Toby or Verts has to be dropped....I dunno.

It's a ruthless sport when players get older. The manager has to be strong enough to choose the time to let go. Vert is at that time when his contract forces a decision. I think he wanted too long a contract from what I read.

It's a ruthless sport when players get older. The manager has to be strong enough to choose the time to let go. Vert is at that time when his contract forces a decision. I think he wanted too long a contract from what I read.
If they are both off next season what else can he do. Sanchez to me looks like he is going to be ok. Just needs the time and managers confidence.

How can you have poor form when there has been no proper games?

As for him now starting to show interest, how long is this rubbish going to go on for?

Oh there's been a full season of "proper games" 2018/19.

I don't know what you're other point means.

Just rewatched the highlights, not sure how Sanchez is at fault. Toby was too far up and left Sanchez out numbered.I think he was counting on Sissoko who let McGinn run past him directly at Sanchez. He wasn't even aware of Mcginn and took ages to recover.

Not good defending by Rose, but I don't think it's his fault too. He had Trezeguet on the sideline.

View attachment 34492

Thanks Polo. Was looking forward to watching this but it won't play. None of the EPL games are televised in Australia this season, not even highlights or delayed telecasts, as per last season. This was going to be my first look at the match. not to be sadly.

So, you guys are my only link and barometer of the EPL this season. No games televised, delayed telecast or highlights in Australia for the first time EVER!!!!!!
The Championship is getting plenty live air time though if anyone wants to know how Notts Forest are going???? They've played that match 7 times in its entirety!.

Thanks to all VS members for posting their thoughts on the match. Strange that most said Rose was ordinary and some say he was OK?? I was hoping his pre season form would continue on to the PL.
Toby being average is a weird one....Is that because he didn't have his buddy Jan next to him?

Our defense will be slaughtered against City if we play the same personnel with the same tactics. Sanchez appears a long way from what we need at CB, and we must get our head around this part of the team for when Toby and Jan eventually leave. Looks like we have no plan with any substance.

Afraid Lamela was a liability for me apart from when he robbed Grealish - other than that he made us play narrow and lost the ball in so many good positions he was driving us all nuts.
It could be argued that he lacks a little finesse at times but whilst that can prove frustrating, his persistence & tenacity are something to really admire.

For some Rose was no good-Eriksen played against a spent force-and Grealish ran the show- Poch got it wrong- Is it possible that I am seeing totally something different or am I being too biased because what i saw was a team that could seriously challeng this season-too many moaners on this site !!!

Afraid Lamela was a liability for me apart from when he robbed Grealish - other than that he made us play narrow and lost the ball in so many good positions he was driving us all nuts.

He’s been making the same brain dead, incompetent errors for the six years he’s been here, yet people comment at the start of each season that having him here is like a new signing. Lol. I see another thread was started recently on the same theme. It does make me chuckle.

So, you guys are my only link and barometer of the EPL this season. No games televised, delayed telecast or highlights in Australia for the first time EVER!!!!!!
The Championship is getting plenty live air time though if anyone wants to know how Notts Forest are going???? They've played that match 7 times in its entirety!.

Thanks to all VS members for posting their thoughts on the match. Strange that most said Rose was ordinary and some say he was OK?? I was hoping his pre season form would continue on to the PL.
Toby being average is a weird one....Is that because he didn't have his buddy Jan next to him?

Our defense will be slaughtered against City if we play the same personnel with the same tactics. Sanchez appears a long way from what we need at CB, and we must get our head around this part of the team for when Toby and Jan eventually leave. Looks like we have no plan with any substance.
You could try this link...https://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/ they have replays of most matches...I checked it this morning and our game is on there and it worked....they do have adverts but everything has a price.

City's movement, tempo is miles ahead of ours. We used to play to a similar tempo a few years back. But we have never had the technical quality they have.

Our manager, coaching team and players can learn a lot from City. There work ethic is immense.

Simple if we want to finish above them our players really need t work harder. The options they have in the final third of the pitch is a joy to watch.

City are still looking a class above us for all the reasons you say.

I can't see too many i.e. not more than one or two teams taking points off them this season, would love to think that could be us, but until we see Lo Celso embedded in the team and the way we approach a game with him and N'dombele together, I think it's a very long shot.

Agree, but Rose has been leaving us for the past two seasons, so I haven't seen Poch 'develop other options', and he won't be until Sessegnon recovers from his injury.

Well Poch wanted Sessegnon last summer and expectations were high that we could land him - but fulham wanted £45 mill for him, so it didn't happen. After that Poch decided that he'd rather wait and run Rose and Davies on.

If we'd got him, who knows where we'd be with Rose and Sess today?

Well Poch wanted Sessegnon last summer and expectations were high that we could land him - but fulham wanted £45 mill for him, so it didn't happen. After that Poch decided that he'd rather wait and run Rose and Davies on.

If we'd got him, who knows where we'd be with Rose and Sess today?

I am not convinced by that tbh EX.

So, we virtually put all our eggs in Sessegnon basket?, we left Rose behind @ pre-season so he could seek a move?....and yet left it 'til the last day to get Sess over the line? Not a professional strategy IMO. That leads to me to wonder if £14 mill for Rose was rejected because there was a chance that Sess deal will fall through?

I guess we will never know. But I am not convinced about Poch's and club's planning. No wonder a 5 year project is starting all over again.... with fair amount of player uncertainties clouding our season.

I am not convinced by that tbh EX.

So, we virtually put all our eggs in Sessegnon basket?, we left Rose behind @ pre-season so he could seek a move?....and yet left it 'til the last day to get Sess over the line? Not a professional strategy IMO. That leads to me to wonder if £14 mill for Rose was rejected because there was a chance that Sess deal will fall through?

I guess we will never know. But I am not convinced about Poch's and club's planning. No wonder a 5 year project is starting all over again.... with fair amount of player uncertainties clouding our season.

There is always the possibility of deals falling through. Last summer I was told from the 'horses mouth' so to speak that we'd got Grealish and Zaha was 'almost a certainty' by an agent involved in both - then for a completely different reason at the last second both pulled out of the move.

As for 'professional strategy' I am constantly amused/bemused at how top clubs often make it up as they go - but that's a whole other story.

As for Sess, two things stopped it being done early; Onomah (who had his own set of demands) and an assessment of Sess's injury and the knowledge it would be months before he'd be able to play again.

As for Rose, I remain as of now unconvinced that he's staying and if Davies had been fit and ready, I suspect we'd have taken the deal or pushed them up a bit not reject it out of hand.

As ever, we will probably never know the full story.

Last edited:
As for Rose, I remain as of now unconvinced that he's staying and if Davies had been fit and ready, I suspect we'd have taken the deal or pushed them up a bit not reject it out of hand.
Thanks again for the explanations.

I agree about Rose as his demeanour and effort was there for all to see (unlike the Dane) and the celebrations with Kane for the goal told me he will be around this season. Hope he gets his head down and mouth shut!

Thanks again for the explanations.

I agree about Rose as his demeanour and effort was there for all to see (unlike the Dane) and the celebrations with Kane for the goal told me he will be around this season. Hope he gets his head down and mouth shut!

I have a feeling that now that we will be making or have made our own assessment about his injury, that we'll probably run Rose on until Jan and then work harder to move him on IF Sessegnon has convinced he'll be ready - if he isn't convincing on the training pitch, I can see us sticking with him.

Tottenham
Tanguy Ndombele
Took his goal well but needs time to adjust to the pace in England, as he admitted: “In France, when you win the ball, you try to calm play down, but here you try to push forward immediately.”