Tottenham Hotspur-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Tottenham Hotspur 1 Manchester City 0
FT Stats
Possession
Spurs 34.5% City 65.5%
Corners
Spurs 3 City 11
Offsides
Spurs 3 City 1
Fouls
Spurs 11 City 8
Cards
Spurs 2 Y City 1 Y (Grealish)
On Target
Spurs 2 City 4
Woodwork
Spurs 0 City 0
Off Target
Spurs 11 City 14 (PL site has 13 Spurs shots, City 18 - City OS Spurs 5 shots City 9 off target)

Attendance 58,262

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/66350

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2021/tottenham-hotspur-v-manchester-city

18:27
'Spurs deserved it'
FT: Spurs 1-0 Man City

Karen Carney
Former England and GB international on BBC Radio 5 Live

Tottenham in the second half were absolutely outstanding. Defensively they were good in the first half because Man City dominated possession. But in the second half it was like they grew in confidence.

They knew they had the upper hand in the counter-attack and they were physical. When you watch it all back you can really see they had Manchester City wrapped up. They were just really devastating on the counter attack and overall they deserved it.

18:32
Spurs 1-0 Man City

Manchester City lose their first opening match of a Premier League season since a 4-2 defeat at Aston Villa in 2008-09.

18:34
'Tottenham were the better team'
FT: Spurs 1-0 Man City

Karen Carney
Former England and GB international on BBC Radio 5 Live

Tanganga in particular was brilliant, he nullified every threat down his side. Skipp and Hojbjerg did really good with the shift they had to put in. You can go through the whole team really. The front three of Moura, Bergwijn and Son were sensational at just picking the ball up and driving.

Manchester City were well out of the races today and just couldn't keep up with them. They'll be disappointed with that, but Tottenham were the better team.

18:36
Spurs 1-0 Man City

This is just the third time in Premier League history that the reigning champions have been beaten in their opening game of a campaign.
Funnily enough they've all been in the past six years - Leicester City in 2016-17 and Chelsea in 2017-18.

18:38
'The boys worked hard'
Spurs 1-0 Man City

Tottenham boss Nuno Espirito Santo, speaking to MOTD: "Amazing! It was a good day. Hard work for the boys, they worked really hard, the distance they covered, the balance, the fight.

"Still a long way to go but most of the things the boys did well. It has been good, it has been hard work. Every time you come, new dynamics. We are knowing each other better and it is about creating this energy between us to keep us moving forward. There is always something new and always something to improve.

"Japhet Tanganga was good. Not just him all the team, starting from the front. We defend from the front so everyone has to be engaged."

On fans' return: "It is amazing. It changes everything. Two or three months ago something was missing. The games were good but the fans is what it is all about, the edge of the game and the boys need it."

18:42
'Football is all about fans'
Spurs 1-0 Man City

Tottenham's Son Heung-min speaking to Sky Sports: "Obviously we wanted to start well in the first game of the season and with the fans. It was an incredible performance and everyone worked so hard to get these three points. Manchester City are currently the best team in the world so we fought for the three points and it means a lot to us at the start of the season.

"It's a great evening. We have missed the fans. Football is all about the fans. We played for them and support them. They meant a lot for me and for us. I am grateful they come to the stadium and support us. I really enjoyed this afternoon.

"We did a great job. We know Manchester City is one of the best teams in the world so we prepared really well. We worked hard in pre-season and we showed that on the pitch. The fans saw we are dangerous so it was a really good game."

On beating last season's goal tally: "There is no promise. I will try to do my best game-by-game. I will try to play for the team. The individual results will come automatically. We will see at the end of the season if I beat this record or not."

On Harry Kane: "We are all professional. We wanted to focus on this game no matter who is involved or not. Obviously Harry is so, so important for us. But let's see. Last season we didn't start well against Everton so we started well. I just want to enjoy this afterwards."

18:43
Spurs 1-0 Man City

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola suffered his first defeat in the opening game of a league campaign since 2008-09, when Barcelona side were beaten by Numancia.

His sides had won their last 11 season-openers before today.

MuEN
Player ratings (not good viewing)
City XI: Ederson 6, Cancelo 5, Dias 6, Ake 5, Mendy 4, Gundogan 7, Fernandinho 5, Torres 5, Mahrez 5, Grealish 7, Sterling 6
Subs: Jesus For Sterling (6), Zinchenko for Mendy (6), De Bruyne for Mahrez (6)

Sky
player ratings
Man City:
Ederson (6), Cancelo (6), Dias (7), Ake (6), Mendy (5), Fernandinho (5), Gundogan (6), Mahrez (6), Grealish (7), Sterling (6), Torres (5).

Subs: Jesus (6), Zinchenko (6), De Bruyne (6).

Bang average really across the board. Frankly Mendy deserved no more than a 3 IMO and that was only becasue he had the correct shirt on and had managed to tie up both his boots. I am assuming he had them on the right feet.