Tottenham Hotspur-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Tottenham Hotspur 2 Manchester City 0
FT Stats
Possession
Spurs 32.7% City 67.3% (City OS Spurs 32.6% City 67.4%)
Corners
Spurs 2 City 6
Offsides
Spurs 2 City 0
Fouls
Spurs 8 City 14
Cards
Spurs 2 Y City 1 R (Zinchenko 2 Y) 3 Y (Sterling, Walker, Rodri)
On Target
Spurs 3 City 5
Woodwork
Spurs 0 City 2
Off Target
Spurs 0 City 12 (PL site has 3 Spurs shots, City 17 - City OS Spurs 0 off target, City 6)

Attendance 61,022

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads.

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/46852

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2019/tottenham-hotspur-v-manchester-city

18:29
FT: Spurs 2-0 Man City

Karen Carney
Former England winger on BBC Radio 5 Live

Sometimes it's just not your day. Manchester City just weren't at it today. They had chances in the first half but didn't take them and they have been punished for it.

Posted at 18:35
Spurs 2-0 Man City

Karen Carney
Former England winger on BBC Radio 5 Live

Spurs earned their luck. They have worked hard, they have put bodies on the line, they have blocked shots. Hugo Lloris changed the game with his penalty save. They grew in confidence when he saved that. There have been a lot of talking points, but Lloris set the tone for Tottenham to go on and they went from strength to strength.

18:44
'The boys were phenomenal'
FT: Tottenham 2-0 Man City

Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho talking to Sky Sports: "I am so pleased for the boys. We were a bit lucky in a couple of situations, but the other perspective very, very unlucky the VAR did not decide for a Raheem Sterling red card.
"It was a clear red card and completely different game if we played for 75 minutes against 10 men.
"I see other situations where the decision is red. The red card of Son Heung-min against Chelsea.
"The boys were phenomenal. The save was fantastic, God's will because it was not a penalty."

On Steven Bergwijn's goal: "So sharp. Unstoppable for a great goalkeeper."

On finishing in the top four: "It is going to be difficult. We are in three competitions. But it was a good weekend for us."

18:57
'I have better feelings for Pep than you can imagine'
Spurs 2-0 Man City

Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho told BBC MOTD: “With a few draws of people in the same area of the table as us, it was very important to get three points. We still have an eye on fourth. It was a match where you know the quality of the opponent. You want to win, but you can lose. I’m delighted with the boys.

“Only [VAR] Kevin Friend can explain why it was not a red card [for Raheem Sterling]. He has the chance to watch again. That decision would change the game. It would probably not be such an enjoyable game, one team with one player more for an hour is a big advantage. I think it’s a clear red card."

On Steven Bergwijn's goal: “It’s the best way to come to a club. We were not putting pressure on him. We signed him early in the week, so we had time for him to train and speak. He’s very intelligent, humble. At home against the champions, to score a goal, not a normal goal, couldn’t be better for him."

On beating Pep Guardiola: "It’s a pleasure to get three points in a match where we knew it would be very difficult. I have better feelings for Pep than you can imagine. We worked together for three years.”

MUEN
Player Ratings:-
Ederson - 6
Walker - 5
Zinchenko - 4
Otamendi - 5
Fernandinho (c), -8
Rodrigo - 6
Gundogan - 4
De Bruyne - 6
Sterling*** - 6
Mahrez** - 4
Aguero* - 6

Subs:Cancelo*6, Jesus**6, Bernardo*** not marked, (Not Used) Bravo, Foden, Garcia, D Silva,

Commentary By David Clayton @dclayton_mcfc
18:55
We've not had Pep's reaction just yet - so wrapping up here now. Thanks for following the game with us and see you next Sunday against West Ham United... stay with mancity.com for Pep and player reaction plus match highlights in a couple of hours.

19:12
'A dream come true'
Spurs 2-0 Man City

Spurs debutant goalscorer Steven Bergwijn speaking with Sky Sports: "It's unbelievable - a dream come true to score on my debut. I am so happy to be here and to make a goal. As a little kid I wanted to be here and play in the Premier League, so to score on my debut is unbelievable."

19:17
'An important game to win'
Spurs 2-0 Man City

Spurs' other goalscorer Son Heung-min speaking with Sky Sports:"Manchester City are so good and played so well in the first half. We had to defend all together but in the second half we came out strong.

"To win today, before the winter break, was very good for our confidence. The fans were so happy and the players as well after the game so it was an important one to win."

On Steven Bergwijn's opening goal and the celebrations: "Steven scored an amazing goal and did a good job. It was emotional because it was his first goal. I'm so happy for Steve to score on his debut. It was well deserved and with the emotion he showed it looked great."

19:18
Still waiting for Pep Guardiola! Can't remember having to wait over half an hour after the first manager has done his TV interviews before.

19:26
'We played well but lost the game'
FT: Tottenham 2-0 Man City

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola on Sky Sports: "We played well but lost the game. It happened again. They had two shots and scored two goals.
"I don't have too many things to say about the performance. We have to accept it and analyse it. It is not easy. We did really well, honestly.
"With this performance, how should I be critical? This performance would be an incredible mistake to say how bad they are. We created chances and conceded few.
"A few times this season it has happened. The sending off was a key point. We said at half-time be careful, yellow cards are a fast and quick action."

I think Pep says it all really, it happens when things just don't go right for us. Think Kun should take penalties, he has a good record.

From the Daily Mail

Ederson - A virtual spectator until Tottenham fully capitalised on their numerical advantage. 6.5

Kyle Walker - Spent most of the game facilitating City in attack but had to be aware of Bergwijn’s threat. Booked. 6.5

Nicolas Otamendi - Was strolling through this game with a cigar on before Spurs upped the ante. 6

Fernandinho - Even in defeat the evergreen Brazilian impressed. Looks like he’s been a centre back for 20 years. 7.5

Oleksandr Zinchenko - Rightly sent off for a second yellow card. His dismissal changed the game. 5.5

Kevin De Bruyne - The brilliant Belgian was uncharacteristically quiet despite his team dominating for large parts. 6.5

Rodri - Patrolled the area in front of his defence effectively until Tottenham were handed their lifeline. Booked. 7

Ilkay Gundogan - Miserable afternoon for the German having missed City’s controversial first-half penalty. 5.5

Riyad Mahrez - Had plenty of opportunities to play a decisive pass but his final ball was found wanting. 6

Raheem Sterling - In the thick of the action. Could have seen red for an early challenge on Alli before infuriating Spurs with a failed penalty claim. Booked. 6.5

Sergio Aguero - A disappointing afternoon. Squandered three excellent opportunities before being substituted. 5.5

Subs: Cancelo 6 (Aguero 64); Jesus (Mahrez 72); Bernardo Silva (Sterling 84);

Subs not used: Bravo, David Silva, Foden, Garcia.

Pep Guardiola - His team were pummelling Tottenham until Zinchenko’s red card. City were punished for not finishing Spurs off. 6.5

Referee: Mike Dean - VAR bailed him out for City’s clear first-half penalty - but got Zinchenko’s red card spot on. 6.5

19:43
'Players decided who took penalty'
Spurs 2-0 Man City

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola speaking with BBC Match of the Day: “If I would find the solution I would try to work on that. It would be a mistake not to let them [the City players] feel incredible and fantastic after that game, football is sometimes like this.
“I have no regrets about the performance. We lost a football match. Football is about how many goals you score and how many you concede. Of course we had a lot of chances. At the end of the day you have to take it."
On the decision to let Ilkay Gundogan, not Sergio Aguero, take the penalty:“They decide."
Did it affect the way they played after that?: "No. If we score it would be better, maybe but in the second half we started well and created chances to score and didn’t do that. Until Oleksandr Zinchenko was sent off, the rest was OK.”

18:57
'I have better feelings for Pep than you can imagine'
Spurs 2-0 Man City

Tottenham manager Jose Mourinho told BBC MOTD: “With a few draws of people in the same area of the table as us, it was very important to get three points. We still have an eye on fourth. It was a match where you know the quality of the opponent. You want to win, but you can lose. I’m delighted with the boys.

“Only [VAR] Kevin Friend can explain why it was not a red card [for Raheem Sterling]. He has the chance to watch again. That decision would change the game. It would probably not be such an enjoyable game, one team with one player more for an hour is a big advantage. I think it’s a clear red card."

On Steven Bergwijn's goal: “It’s the best way to come to a club. We were not putting pressure on him. We signed him early in the week, so we had time for him to train and speak. He’s very intelligent, humble. At home against the champions, to score a goal, not a normal goal, couldn’t be better for him."

On beating Pep Guardiola: "It’s a pleasure to get three points in a match where we knew it would be very difficult. I have better feelings for Pep than you can imagine. We worked together for three years.”

It's never a red,he sidefooted the ball, not over the top,no studs on show, no reckless lunge, nasty contact but it happens, it's football.

The most infuriating thing is how well we played, we've beaten ourselves this season with our woeful finishing.

I think we are piss farting around the goal too much trying to walk the ball in.
Kun doesn’t need to be on the goal line to score a goal and neither do a couple of others.
The passing into the goal area is a big weakness for us as the move has been sussed out by the other clubs.
If this lot don’t smarten up for the CL there will be a few outs at the end of the season.
I think Pep will walk as well if the CL becomes a shambles.
I hope I’m wrong in Pep’s case but he seems to be making a lot of funny decisions in selection and with his substitutions.