Tottenham Hotspur have been hit by the perfect storm. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur have been hit by the perfect storm.

What is shit in the transfer market is having no conviction at the earliest stage of wanting a player. That's why the one player I will back Levy and Poch over is Davinson. No club could have known his runway, but our club went and got him. We backed ourselves, but it hasn't quite worked out. That's OK.

Compare that with Aarons. We gave him some admiring glances 2 years ago after he'd had a fantastic promotion season and should be straight in with an offer slightly over his market value. Make sure we get our man knowing that every top club had their RB area sorted at the time. Then a year later, he's getting relegated with his club and has now signed a new contract, just like Sess did at that stage. Still there to get though. Instead, we sign an old wing-back with no pace or stamina and let a bright prospect head to Saints because he's completely disenfranchised with our club, his club. So we watch our 4th consecutive season with shit performances at RB and will now go into the 5th unless we do something different. Who's to say that the kid from Hammersmith won't prefer Norfolk for another year over our mess of a club.

That is our football club all over. It won't change until we respect our standing in the football pyramid and only buy younger players and ensure they get a path into the first team.

I wasn't suggesting Poch was good in the transfer market. My point was that our most expensive signings haven't justified their transfer fees and that our best team was comprised of players under £20m. It was a reflection of where we have been most successful in the transfer market.

Sorry I was just ranting. Lol.

Agree our best transfer windows have been when we have bought smart and quickly.

What is shit in the transfer market is having no conviction at the earliest stage of wanting a player. That's why the one player I will back Levy and Poch over is Davinson. No club could have known his runway, but our club went and got him. We backed ourselves, but it hasn't quite worked out. That's OK.

Compare that with Aarons. We gave him some admiring glances 2 years ago after he'd had a fantastic promotion season and should be straight in with an offer slightly over his market value. Make sure we get our man knowing that every top club had their RB area sorted at the time. Then a year later, he's getting relegated with his club and has now signed a new contract, just like Sess did at that stage. Still there to get though. Instead, we sign an old wing-back with no pace or stamina and let a bright prospect head to Saints because he's completely disenfranchised with our club, his club. So we watch our 4th consecutive season with shit performances at RB and will now go into the 5th unless we do something different. Who's to say that the kid from Hammersmith won't prefer Norfolk for another year over our mess of a club.

That is our football club all over. It won't change until we respect our standing in the football pyramid and only buy younger players and ensure they get a path into the first team.

You wait Aurier will get a new contract with Dier. 🙄

Certainly that is the situation we seem to find ourselves in, and I think that probably our best option right now is to use a bit of the Kane income to bring in a couple of promising youngsters from elsewhere, whilst giving the likes of Skipp, Sessegnon and Rodon every opportunity to develop via regular first team starts. There won't be any instant success but in a season or two we may be pleasantly surprised. For me we have been in a transfer no mans land for quite sometime. Even at our 'peak' when reaching the CL final, either we weren't in a position to sign top level players, or they didn't want to join us. Instead we've invested quite heavily in 'middle of the road' type players, like Lo Celso and Bergwijn who have in all honesty turned out to be pretty average, and certainly haven't influenced matches at a level we could reasonably have hoped for.

I still think Jan Vertonghen was one of our very best buys.

However, what people forget is what it takes to get these great 1st teamers through.

12/13 Season
Hugo, Vertonghen, Gylfi, Dembele, Dempsey, Adebayor, Fryers, Holtby

13/14 Season
Eriksen, Chiriches, Paulinho, Capoue, Soldado, Lamela, Chadli

So it took 15 purchases to get 4 for our eventual best team that could compete as a top 4 club. Fortunately Kane, Walker and Rose were already here to form a basis of 7.

Then to get Son, Dele, Toby and Wanyama it took another 17 purchases.

It's about a 1 in 3 success rate and I'm not even sure that the next 15 since the Famnous 7 have yielded 5 more Top 4 first teamers.

However, what people forget is what it takes to get these great 1st teamers through.

12/13 Season
Hugo, Vertonghen, Gylfi, Dembele, Dempsey, Adebayor, Fryers, Holtby

13/14 Season
Eriksen, Chiriches, Paulinho, Capoue, Soldado, Lamela, Chadli

So it took 15 purchases to get 4 for our eventual best team that could compete as a top 4 club. Fortunately Kane, Walker and Rose were already here to form a basis of 7.

Then to get Son, Dele, Toby and Wanyama it took another 17 purchases.

It's about a 1 in 3 success rate and I'm not even sure that the next 15 since the Famnous 7 have yielded 5 more Top 4 first teamers.

Hmmm.....any reasons as to why?

I'm pretty sure it was Poch that schooled Levy into not buying anyone in 2018.

Poch in the main was crap in the transfer market.

Poch was never incharge of the transfers. The only reason poch did not want signings in 2018 is he told levy that unless they are the players he asks for to improve the starting 11 then don't bother signing anyone. Yes Poch had gone stale but he was never fully backed. Do you think Poch wanted llorente,Njie or other players like that . He had just had enough. Although I think Poch was a very poor match day manager but was good during the week

Poch was never incharge of the transfers. The only reason poch did not want signings in 2018 is he told levy that unless they are the players he asks for to improve the starting 11 then don't bother signing anyone. Yes Poch had gone stale but he was never fully backed. Do you think Poch wanted llorente,Njie or other players like that . He had just had enough. Although I think Poch was a very poor match day manager but was good during the week

Well according to EX he was in charge of transfers. Every transfer made was given the thumbs up by Poch.

Well according to EX he was in charge of transfers. Every transfer made was given the thumbs up by Poch.

I think maybe he gave the thmbs up because he was desperate but by 2018 he was fed up at not getting his 1st,2nd or even 3rd choice player he just said enough is enough. You could tell he never really wanted these players because he never gave them a chance much like Jose with ,Berg,Doherty , Vinicus and Bale

Surely not in charge of transfers, but had to approve the signings.

That doesn't mean Poch wasn't totally compromising on who he really wanted. He just accepted squad improvements over first teamers, as that wasn't a name he was given in the process.

Hmmm.....any reasons as to why?

Because you're not looking for the finished article and you're going with your convictions. You're also backing yourself to nurture them to greatness. Just imagine Vertonghen having just one more year at Ajax and our chances of getting him at his new price tag and interest.