Tottenham Hotspur have been hit by the perfect storm. | Vital Football

Tottenham Hotspur have been hit by the perfect storm.

D

Departed

The Pochettino mess.

The Mourinho hiring based on exciting financial capabilities.

Covid wiping out our highly leveraged newfound financial muscle.

The ESL failure potentially costing us via the PL's spite.

And the failure to qualify for CL next year.

I don't say this lightly. This organization is in serious serious financial trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep and this is why we need to get the new manager RIGHT. Then we need to offload a ton of players and bring in a group of hard working, technically proficient players...I don't need stars...yet.

Until we can get the money flowing with the new stadium we need to dig out of this hole and bridge the gap a bit.

We need to step back, and rebuild our core...we don't have one.

The sale of Kane is probably the only get out of jail card that we've got. I don't think it's a question of whether he wants to leave, more a case of the Club wanting to sell him. Unfortunately it is unlikely that we will be able to sell him for anywhere near as much as the 120 plus label that has been pinned on him for quite some time. One thing's for sure, if we do sell him, the money won't be going on new players.

Trouble is Levy can barely handle the Supporters Trust, let alone a shareholders revolt!

Levy can handle the Trust. If the Trust pulls anything like the United fans did/are then if I was Levy I would cut off contact with the trust permanently.

Naff them.

He's trying to save Spurs and trying to regain the progress he made over 20 years which has been severely damaged by a pandemic.

Without the pandemic, we would have seen a different story this season. Shouldn't we be making allowances for that no matter what our opinion of his club management is?

Levy can handle the Trust. If the Trust pulls anything like the United fans did/are then if I was Levy I would cut off contact with the trust permanently.

Naff them.

He's trying to save Spurs and trying to regain the progress he made over 20 years which has been severely damaged by a pandemic.

Without the pandemic, we would have seen a different story this season. Shouldn't we be making allowances for that no matter what our opinion of his club management is?
I hear what you say 80, but let's be having those Enic and Levy tinted glasses put away for the moment. Businessmen, first and foremost have one goal, his personal wealth and future is paramount to him.

My point about taking on shareholders or Supporters Trust was more tongue in cheek. The key point I shudda got across was that I can not see Levy diluting his ownership by issuing more shares, as much as I'd prefer his to do that than constrain the club.

Yes, we are unfortunately suffering from the unique fall-out of covid but it does not mitigate his failings over the past 15+ years.

I hear what you say 80, but let's be having those Enic and Levy tinted glasses put away for the moment. Businessmen, first and foremost have one goal, his personal wealth and future is paramount to him.

My point about taking on shareholders or Supporters Trust was more tongue in cheek. The key point I shudda got across was that I can not see Levy diluting his ownership by issuing more shares, as much as I'd prefer his to do that than constrain the club.

Yes, we are unfortunately suffering from the unique fall-out of covid but it does not mitigate his failings over the past 15+ years.

C'mon CS...you know what I think of Levy's football management shortcomings. I've been the DoFO champion since day 1.

We need 300-400 million. Better a diverse group of supporters than institutional.

C'mon CS...you know what I think of Levy's football management shortcomings. I've been the DoFO champion since day 1.

We need 300-400 million. Better a diverse group of supporters than institutional.
Let's hope the businessman/football man finds an optimum solution in our time of need.

I did however, wonder if the naming rights contract could get us out of this mess.

ps., anyone hazard a guess how much could be raised from the above?

OK, just did a 'Danny Rose' on the numbers involved:

"Arsenal has just secured its biggest sponsorship deal ever. The top London soccer club and Emirates Airline on Monday announced a 5-year extension to their shirt partnership lasting until the end of the 2023-2024 season. A spokesperson for Emirates said the deal is worth "in excess of £200 million ($280 million)."

Surely is our stadium not more attractive?

ps... checked and seems naming rights generate a lot less than the shirt deal!

OK, just did a 'Danny Rose' on the numbers involved:

"Arsenal has just secured its biggest sponsorship deal ever. The top London soccer club and Emirates Airline on Monday announced a 5-year extension to their shirt partnership lasting until the end of the 2023-2024 season. A spokesperson for Emirates said the deal is worth "in excess of £200 million ($280 million)."

Surely is our stadium not more attractive?

ps... checked and seems naming rights generate a lot less than the shirt deal!

United just lost a big sponsor due to threats from their fan base to boycott the sponsors.

Stupid fans. They are going to hamstring their club financially. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Naff them.

In 3 or 4 consecutive transfer windows, Levy has backed his mangers. We've had everything from £100m on Ndombele and Lo Celso to an accommodation of £250k per week salary for Bale. We've churned players in every position of the pitch in the last 2 to 3 seasons.

My theory is that on the football pitch the pandemic hasn't made one iota of difference to date. Unfortunately, it is becoming an excuse to hide behind for some though. There is no different story this season without the pandemic.

Now from the 21/22 season I absolutely get it. That is when the pandemic comes to bite us. The latency effect of the financial shortfall of not having access to the stadium revenue streams. It's the new manager that I will feel sorry for.

In 3 or 4 consecutive transfer windows, Levy has backed his mangers. We've had everything from £100m on Ndombele and Lo Celso to an accommodation of £250k per week salary for Bale. We've churned players in every position of the pitch in the last 2 to 3 seasons.

My theory is that on the football pitch the pandemic hasn't made one iota of difference to date. Unfortunately, it is becoming an excuse to hide behind for some though. There is no different story this season without the pandemic.

Now from the 21/22 season I absolutely get it. That is when the pandemic comes to bite us. The latency effect of the financial shortfall of not having access to the stadium revenue streams. It's the new manager that I will feel sorry for.

I agree, but the transition to the next level was why Levy employed Mourinho and that wasn't allowed to play out one way or the other due to Covid.

It truly is the perfect storm for us. We need to raise cash somehow now CL is all but gone. It would be stupid to come this far and not have the club get over the line.

I agree, but the transition to the next level was why Levy employed Mourinho and that wasn't allowed to play out one way or the other due to Covid.

It truly is the perfect storm for us. We need to raise cash somehow now CL is all but gone. It would be stupid to come this far and not have the club get over the line.

Actually, the one place I would correct myself is the fixture congestion caused by the pandemic. It changed the transfer strategy as Jose though he needed to beef up the squad to cope heading into this season. All he did was ostracise and demotivate some players that could have shared the workload. His squad was too big.

As we now look forward we have to accept that the only way we strengthen the first team is by weakening the squad. That means the new manager has to depend more on the sum of the parts, especially the youngsters. Just think back to Poch having that great eleven and about 5 or 6 other main squad members. That should be how we start to work through this.

Actually, the one place I would correct myself is the fixture congestion caused by the pandemic. It changed the transfer strategy as Jose though he needed to beef up the squad to cope heading into this season. All he did was ostracise and demotivate some players that could have shared the workload. His squad was too big.

As we now look forward we have to accept that the only way we strengthen the first team is by weakening the squad. That means the new manager has to depend more on the sum of the parts, especially the youngsters. Just think back to Poch having that great eleven and about 5 or 6 other main squad members. That should be how we start to work through this.

It may be the only way but in addition, the culture has to change and to do that means selling Kane, Dele, Dier, Aurier, Lloris (not my choice but necessary), Sissoko, Lamela, Bergwijn, Doherty, Hojberg and Sanchez.

Is it not a perfect storm exacerbated by Mourhino .
Did Covid stop Mourhino reversing the fortunes of the club ?
Im not so sure about that .

I’m going to take a lot of convincing that we haven’t got CL BECAUSE of JM.

Sorry, you think it is his fault? Is that correct?

As we now look forward we have to accept that the only way we strengthen the first team is by weakening the squad.
erm... do you really think we can weaken the squad any more?

I suspect you refer to the likes of Kane, Son and Dele being off loaded?

To be honest, should the above occur, I'd embrace the idea of going in to an exciting NEW era. Our reliance on handful of players has been our major downfall imo, none more so than building a team around one (HK) player.

Some of the teams above us have not spent a fortune and their managers didn't cost the earth. Yet the combine effort is far superior (style and result) than what we have had to put up with.

It may be the only way but in addition, the culture has to change and to do that means selling Kane, Dele, Dier, Aurier, Lloris (not my choice but necessary), Sissoko, Lamela, Bergwijn, Doherty, Hojberg and Sanchez.

Culturally, Son is as bad as anyone in my opinion. A culture where you're a senior player but still act like an U21 on the pitch. A culture where you pull out of tackles and headers. Ultimately, a culture where you think that just coming alive for goals and assists is an excuse for the rest of your failings.

erm... do you really think we can weaken the squad any more?

I suspect you refer to the likes of Kane, Son and Dele being off loaded?

To be honest, should the above occur, I'd embrace the idea of going in to an exciting NEW era. Our reliance on handful of players has been our major downfall imo, none more so than building a team around one (HK) player.

Some of the teams above us have not spent a fortune and their managers didn't cost the earth. Yet the combine effort is far superior (style and result) than what we have had to put up with.

Let me be specific:

We have 3 RB's - Aurier, Doherty and Japhet. We also have Marcel Lavinier who played in EL from the bench.

We have 3 LB's - Reggie, Davies, Sess and we know that Cirkin has been in and around the first team.

What should be left is Aarons (big purchase), Japhet, Lavinier and Reggie, Sess and Cirkin. That means that Aurier, Doherty and Davies should leave.

I'm proposing that looks weaker on paper, but stronger on grass. To 80's point, I think the 3 senior full-backs don't add to the culture i.e. have Spursy DNA.

My plan only works with the right manager who will nurture the younger group like Poch did when he joined.