Top Gear aimed at people with mental age of 9, says producer | Page 3 | Vital Football

Top Gear aimed at people with mental age of 9, says producer

Juan Mourep - 5/2/2014 21:21

Love the programme, it's always been what it is.

Back in the days of Quinten Wilson and Tiff Needell it was all about cars, simple as that. Lots of reviews, test drives and technical detail - it was basically a consumer programme.

It has changed massively from that original format now, with the studio, guests, specials, blowing stuff up and generally lots of pricking about.

People complaining that it's 'silly'?

That's what has always made it so good.

That's like complaining that Monty Python were silly.

Monty Python, to be fair, was a comedy!

I would like a bit more about cars, think they have tipped the balance really. Some of it when they go off and do things is funny, however it is becoming all a bit obvious as well!

I hate silly, I like funny.

If you want silly you should watch Mr Tumble on Cbeebies.

Topgear is a comedy in my eyes. Or at the very least a comedy/entertainment programme.

Looking at all the superb cars you can't ever afford to own is a bonus, but I'd never watch a programme purely to oggle cars. I watch it to make me laugh.

I'm with Deano on this. If it was a consumer program about cars, like old Top Gear, it would be mainly about cars that most of us ciuld afford. As it is it's mainly about super cars and the like, it's pure escapism.

Nope, I've decided they are boring me shitless now I'm afraid. Was fun, now it's over!!

:20:

I remember when the format was very sedate - they talked about ordinary cars that the everyday folk would go and buy. I like seeing the super fast sporty cars and the top of the range executive mercs etc that are only affordable to the super wealthy, but I also want to know about the more affordable everyday cars by Ford, Vauxhall, Nissan, Mazda etc. I enjoy stuff like "the star in the reasonably priced car" and the jolly adventures but its all becoming more of a sketch show than a serious motoring show. It needs more balance to appeal to a broader audience.

Does it? I'd imagine the millions of people that watch it now, far more people than used to watch it when it was a consumer programme, would suggest they have the balance just right.

Can't wait to see the stig put that McLaren P1 round the test track. That's gonna be quite something.

DeanoVilla - 17/2/2014 15:12

Does it? I'd imagine the millions of people that watch it now, far more people than used to watch it when it was a consumer programme, would suggest they have the balance just right.

Agree. If you want to find out about the performance of a car you're looking to buy then I'm sure there's a lot better and more detailed information online and in other sources. Top Gear is an entertainment show based around cars, sometimes they review cars in an entertaining way and sometimes they do something completely random... either way I watch it to be entertained and not because I want to know what James May thinks about the new Vauxhall.

Last nights episode was good - and the special feature was about normal cars and fuel consumption but fun to watch so that was as good a balance as you could ask for

Just personal taste really isn't it. Always loved it, now they say the same thing every time and have overplayed it...as said, just for me. I've grown bored of it, don't mean everyone has. But the journeys they go on just aren't interesting anymore.

Thought James blunt was ok, i fast forwarded most but liked how he answered the people who slate him at twitter.

You are crap

Yes, and mortgage free.

Brilliant.

Another, what has happened to James blunt, so he put up a picture of him with four supermodels.

I liked the last episode, the silly shock things are a bit crappy, like them being "blown up" in the previous episode but the trip across Ukrain was good and typical of clasic Top Gear.