Top Drinking Countries | Vital Football

Top Drinking Countries

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/05/17/heaviest-drinking-countries/9146227/

Not even the top twenty for beer?
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/beer-consumption-per-capita-countries/

The world's biggest beer drinkers
  1. Czech Republic - 143.3 litres per capita
  2. Namibia - 108
  3. Austria - 106
  4. Germany - 104.2
  5. Poland - 100.8
  6. Ireland - 98.2
  7. Romania - 94.1
  8. Seychelles - 90
  9. Estonia - 89.5
  10. Lithuania - 88.7
  11. Belize - 85
  12. Spain - 84.8
  13. Slovenia - 80.3
  14. Slovakia - 80.1
  15. Croatia - 78.7
  16. Gabon - 77.8
  17. Finland - 76.9
  18. Bulgaria - 76.3
  19. Panama - 75
  20. Iceland - 75

Proving?

Nothing, the state of towns and cities up and down the country at a weekend suggest we do drink a fair amount!!!!!!!!!!

(My post wasn't answering yours Fulford, just ending my thoughts on the thread!!!!!)

I meant that you can have a drink in France or Germany anywhere with your meal but they tend to stay sensible. They even sold acholic drinks in the factory in BMW, Imagine that over here.

I meant that you can have a drink in France or Germany anywhere with your meal but they tend to stay sensible. They even sold acholic drinks in the factory in BMW, Imagine that over here.

Yes, mate, totally got the point and as I say above, there is a problem in this country the state of towns and cities up and down the country on the nights. Was just looking because i thought we would be top 10 drinking wise.

But yes, not just about how much, it is as fulford says, the binge drinking. Thought that would show more on the search I did. Will do another.

Alcohol in the UK
24% of adults in England and Scotland regularly drink over the Chief Medical Officer's low-risk guidelines [1, 16], and 27% of drinkers in Great Britain binge drink on their heaviest drinking days (over 8 units for men and over 6 units for women) [2].

Alcohol statistics | Alcohol Change UK

I wonder how much of a role tourism plays in those figures. I spent a week in Prague 20 years ago and was out all night every night. The Seychelles is on there. I've never been there but they have a huge tourism industry and way more people visit every year than live there. Ireland too has a big drinking culture but also a big tourism industry which I'd imagine bumps up the figures.

I'm surprised that the UK doesn't make the top 20.

I
I remember back in the seventies working at Leyland Castle Brom they had a bar in the canteen and blokes off the production line would have 2/3 pints at lunch time.

I can't remember , but they must have asked me when they did the survey.

Were you pissed you can’t remember?

I used to work in the alcohol industry and the Russians were surprised how much we drank actually, but we drink very differently to a lot of the world. The Russians drink vodka neat, frozen between courses and the cultured Mediterranean’s grow up drink wine responsibly. The facts I seem to remember were that the Scottish drank the highest amount of either vodka or spirits (I can’t remember exactly) per capita, or were certainly up there.

We go to nightclubs where we down half a dozen spirits in a mixer and buy £4.99 bottles of Lambrini to neck before a night out.

I’ve been there on the lads holidays and the uni nights out, I’ve done all that but happy it’s done. A trip to Wembley, ten pints and a few spirits and work the next day is horrific. Made that mistake a few times.

I think there’s probably two dynamics in the UK which may be interesting for bodybutter who hasn’t been here for a long time - pub culture is changing, pubs are going out of business at a rate of a couple per week and those pubs you never used to walk into because you were from the wrong part of town are not surviving unless they do a gastro menu.

Secondly, more of the youth of today want to go to Cambodia and teach English to third world kids, not spend all summer on a park bench then head to Zante for a couple of weeks. That still happens, but seems to be a trend going backwards for the good of heath. I’m sure I read young people are drinking less. I imagine in a few years, the trend will be for 18-25 year olds to be going on yoga and fitness holidays not getting sloshed in Aiya Napa ten nights in a row.

Last edited:
Were you pissed you can’t remember?

I used to work in the alcohol industry and the Russians were surprised how much we drank actually, but we drink very differently to a lot of the world. The Russians drink vodka neat, frozen between courses and the cultured Mediterranean’s grow up drink wine responsibly. The facts I seem to remember were that the Scottish drank the highest amount of either vodka or spirits (I can’t remember exactly) per capita, or were certainly up there.

We go to nightclubs where we down half a dozen spirits in a mixer and buy £4.99 bottles of Lambrini to neck before a night out.

I’ve been there on the lads holidays and the uni nights out.

I think there’s probably two dynamics in the UK which may be interesting for bodybutter who hasn’t been here for a long time - pub culture is changing, pubs are going out of business at a rate of a couple per week and those pubs you never used to walk into because you were from the wrong part of town are not surviving unless they do a gastro menu.

Secondly, more of the youth of today want to go to Cambodia and teach English to third world kids, not spend all summer on a park bench then head to Zante for a couple of weeks. That still happens, but seems to be a trend going backwards for the good of heath. I’m sure I read young people are drinking less. I imagine in a few years, the trend will be for 18-25 year olds to be going on yoga and fitness holidays not getting sloshed in Aiya Napa ten nights in a row.

Ha no. Just that my 2 glasses of wine a week may have bought the stats down a bit lol.

From my late husband gastro consultant who also deals with alcoholism, binge drinking etc a year ago

The cost of alcohol abuse in this country was 25 billion to include all services

This is the NHS, police, ambulance, fire, RNLI, Criminal courts, family and tribunal courts, child services and all the services that come with them, other adult services and so on

Top drinking countries?

When on holiday (remember those times?), France, Italy and Spain rate very highly for me personally - the quality and value of their wines is out of this world, mainly because they don't nail the consumers with massive amounts of duty to inflate the price like over here.

Oh, sorry, misunderstood the thread title :lol:

:guiness: