Unwelcome stadium milestone shows why top four is a must for Tottenham
newFile-5.jpg
Tottenham Hotspur FC via Getty I
By
Dan Kilpatrick
@Dan_KP
11 minutes ago

S
unday’s visit of Manchester United marks an unwelcome milestone for Tottenham.
Jose Mourinho’s meeting with his former club will be Tottenham’s 28th home match at their new stadium played behind closed doors (or with a vastly reduced crowd), equalling the number of full-capacity games at the ground since it opened in April 2019.
By the end of this season, Spurs will have played 32 matches with their 62,850-seat stadium mostly empty, including their final home game against Aston Villa, which is expected to have an attendance of 10,000.

Every club big and small is feeling the impact of Covid-19, but this weekend’s milestone underlines Daniel Levy’s claim that the pandemic “could not have come at a worse time” for Spurs.

The £1.2billion stadium saddled the club with debt of more than £600million but was supposed to quickly pay itself off through groundbreaking match-day revenues and events including NFL games and concerts. Spurs briefly reaped the rewards of the project, collecting nearly £6m per full-capacity match last season.
Had their final five games not been played behind closed doors, the club’s match-day revenue for the 2019/20 campaign would have been in the region of £124m — a Premier League record — while commercial income also took off.
For now, however, Spurs are continuing to count the cost of the ground, with Levy having forecast “irrecoverable” losses of more than £150m due to the ongoing absence of fans — equating to roughly £5m per fixture — and the club having taken on £175m more debt in the form of a Bank of England loan.
The shutout has dealt Levy’s carefully-curated business plan a hammer blow and what should have been a giant leap forward financially has ended up being a backwards step, with the long-term impact still unknown.
In the context of such financial devastation, securing Champions League football for next season has never been more important, with a place in the competition worth well over £50m in broadcast revenue and prize money, dwarfing figures for the Europa League.
For all the talk of Mourinho as the man to finally end Tottenham’s trophy drought, his job may ultimately hinge on returning the club to Europe’s leading competition via a top-four finish.

Ahead of this weekend’s game, Spurs are just three points from fourth place, but Mourinho has again found himself needing a reaction from his players following last weekend’s dismal draw at Newcastle, during which Spurs looked a long way from being capable of competing in the Champions League.
It was another display that would surely have been greeted with jeers from the away end, but there is another reason Mourinho needs to improve performances and results.

On Monday, Spurs open season-ticket renewals to roughly 50,000 supporters in the hope of staging full-capacity matches from the start of next term.

With fans having been locked out of stadiums since March 2020, the renewals window, which runs until June 3, is the first opportunity in over a year for Spurs supporters to take direct action over Mourinho’s tenure.
While the majority renew their seats regardless of the state of the team, a poorer-than-expected uptake between Monday and the end of the season would alarm the club and potentially destabilise the manager’s position.
Having glimpsed the potential of their new home, only to have the rug cruelly pulled from under their feet, Tottenham know the value of having a full stadium like never before.

Unwelcome stadium milestone shows why top four is a must for Tottenham
newFile-5.jpg
Tottenham Hotspur FC via Getty I
By
Dan Kilpatrick
@Dan_KP
11 minutes ago

S
unday’s visit of Manchester United marks an unwelcome milestone for Tottenham.
Jose Mourinho’s meeting with his former club will be Tottenham’s 28th home match at their new stadium played behind closed doors (or with a vastly reduced crowd), equalling the number of full-capacity games at the ground since it opened in April 2019.
By the end of this season, Spurs will have played 32 matches with their 62,850-seat stadium mostly empty, including their final home game against Aston Villa, which is expected to have an attendance of 10,000.

Every club big and small is feeling the impact of Covid-19, but this weekend’s milestone underlines Daniel Levy’s claim that the pandemic “could not have come at a worse time” for Spurs.

The £1.2billion stadium saddled the club with debt of more than £600million but was supposed to quickly pay itself off through groundbreaking match-day revenues and events including NFL games and concerts. Spurs briefly reaped the rewards of the project, collecting nearly £6m per full-capacity match last season.
Had their final five games not been played behind closed doors, the club’s match-day revenue for the 2019/20 campaign would have been in the region of £124m — a Premier League record — while commercial income also took off.
For now, however, Spurs are continuing to count the cost of the ground, with Levy having forecast “irrecoverable” losses of more than £150m due to the ongoing absence of fans — equating to roughly £5m per fixture — and the club having taken on £175m more debt in the form of a Bank of England loan.
The shutout has dealt Levy’s carefully-curated business plan a hammer blow and what should have been a giant leap forward financially has ended up being a backwards step, with the long-term impact still unknown.
In the context of such financial devastation, securing Champions League football for next season has never been more important, with a place in the competition worth well over £50m in broadcast revenue and prize money, dwarfing figures for the Europa League.
For all the talk of Mourinho as the man to finally end Tottenham’s trophy drought, his job may ultimately hinge on returning the club to Europe’s leading competition via a top-four finish.

Ahead of this weekend’s game, Spurs are just three points from fourth place, but Mourinho has again found himself needing a reaction from his players following last weekend’s dismal draw at Newcastle, during which Spurs looked a long way from being capable of competing in the Champions League.
It was another display that would surely have been greeted with jeers from the away end, but there is another reason Mourinho needs to improve performances and results.

On Monday, Spurs open season-ticket renewals to roughly 50,000 supporters in the hope of staging full-capacity matches from the start of next term.

With fans having been locked out of stadiums since March 2020, the renewals window, which runs until June 3, is the first opportunity in over a year for Spurs supporters to take direct action over Mourinho’s tenure.
While the majority renew their seats regardless of the state of the team, a poorer-than-expected uptake between Monday and the end of the season would alarm the club and potentially destabilise the manager’s position.
Having glimpsed the potential of their new home, only to have the rug cruelly pulled from under their feet, Tottenham know the value of having a full stadium like never before.
It's very rare that football fans have an opportunity to effect real change but if enough of them are so-minded this is one such opportunity.

It's very rare that football fans have an opportunity to effect real change but if enough of them are so-minded this is one such opportunity.
Unfortunately not going to happen. The best thing to do would be to delay your renewal until the fate of CL + Mourinho is known. If CL - and EL - are missed and Mou stays, I think we could well see a serious backlash as the recovery of club status and finances will mean mid table mediocrity for several years.

As spammers and Leicester have shown, better scouting and an astute manager does not require mega money to accomplish top 4.

First of all, we are not guaranteed not to make top 4. Secondly, not renewing because of the current manager does not translate to the term "supporter". The longer-term financial damage to the club would just prevent us from moving forward for a longer period of time. Cut off your nose to spite your face?

I can't believe for a second that Levy isn't thinking about how, not if, he can get rid of Jose.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, we are not guaranteed not to make top 4. Secondly, not renewing because of the current manager does not translate to the term "supporter". The longer-term financial damage to the club would just prevent us from moving forward for a longer period of time. Cut off your nose to spite your face?

I can't believe for a second that Levy isn't thinking about how, not if, he can get rid of Jose.

Mourinho is just one factor. Some might feel proprietorial enough about their club and want to make sure their voice is heard and he feels the heat. So it could work both ways.

I'm interested in how track and trace might impact the season ticket holders who share their cards. That's how people like me get to see games as a season ticket holder drops out. I then get to my 2 or 3 games a year and pay for the privilege. My guess is that stops once the season ticket holder is properly ID'd, COVID tested, temperature checked, vaccine checked etc.

Fair point. Although it's a big ask expecting fans to pay the top prices in the country for what has arguably been, at times, amongst some of the worst football in the PL.

Mourinho is just one factor. Some might feel proprietorial enough about their club and want to make sure their voice is heard and he feels the heat. So it could work both ways.

I'm interested in how track and trace might impact the season ticket holders who share their cards. That's how people like me get to see games as a season ticket holder drops out. I then get to my 2 or 3 games a year and pay for the privilege. My guess is that stops once the season ticket holder is properly ID'd, COVID tested, temperature checked, vaccine checked etc.
Thanks for that muttley, I never gave it a thought, as am in the same boat as yourself, bleedin pandemic has a lot to answer for, before I get robust replies it is a tongue in cheek retort.

in fairness to the club they were already threatening to ID people before the pandemic, but it was very easy to transfer your ST to someone on a game by game basis. I have two STs, one is in my partners name but I transfer it to whichever of my mates can make it most games. It just emails them a ticket

Last edited:

I seem to recall from the very lengthy renewal email received this week that there is a process for family and friends to be able to have the digital ticket not being used by a season ticket holder. They will then download the ticket for entry, no paper tickets, and present that plus whatever Covid reassurance is required for all attendees. I’m sure you will be able to take up the offers still Muttley.

I seem to recall from the very lengthy renewal email received this week that there is a process for family and friends to be able to have the digital ticket not being used by a season ticket holder. They will then download the ticket for entry, no paper tickets, and present that plus whatever Covid reassurance is required for all attendees. I’m sure you will be able to take up the offers still Muttley.
54, as I said earlier, am in the same boat as muttley, so from me thanks for that, I will look into it and hope what you say is correct.

54, as I said earlier, am in the same boat as muttley, so from me thanks for that, I will look into it and hope what you say is correct.
I hope I am not misleading you!Extract from email below:
Season Ticket Holders wishing to share their ticket with friends or family members can use Ticket Share, which will be activated when we return to a full stadium, at which point Ticket Exchange will also be available.

I hope I am not misleading you!Extract from email below:

Season Ticket Holders wishing to share their ticket with friends or family members can use Ticket Share, which will be activated when we return to a full stadium, at which point Ticket Exchange will also be available.

54 seem clear enough to me, thanks mate.