Top 10 favourite albums of all time. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Top 10 favourite albums of all time.

sirdennis - 2/4/2013 14:59

The Fear - 2/4/2013 14:56

sirdennis - 2/4/2013 14:32

I don't dictate though JF . Greatest hits are allowed.

They count in the Album chart don't they ?

They aren't really albums though, they are compilations. You are SO going on the naughty step if you don't concede! lol

My thread , my rules :5:

lol

Just as long as you know you are wrong, we'll leave it at that! :5:

I'm going to have to do some work on this, pen and paper and standing by my cd shelves later...!

Attachments

• l-008.jpg
    l-008.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 0
holtelower - 2/4/2013 15:53

Watched an interview with Marr the other week, he said he felt Queen is Dead wasn't theirbest work, couldn't believe what I was hearing to be honest.

As for Alex (above) - I am 42 - I was 16 when that came out, what 16yr old didn't try and cop off to that album !!.

Think i could argue that Strangeways almost, or just tops the Queen is Dead.

I reckon I would possibly go round in circles though and eventually declare it a draw.

Although I think Queen is by far their best, and I think the best album ever, the one that had the most effect on me (actually it was the accompanying video) was Meat is Murder.

That album, actually it was the South bank Show Documentary when it played the video, made me turn Vegetarian.

Seriously, go and you tube and watch it (you have to sign up saying you are 18 it is that harrowing)

If you still want a sausage after that, you have no soul !

I've worked in abattoirs , meat packing plants etc it has no effect at all.
I don't eat much sausage because I don't like the taste.
Anyway.

I'm throwing Alice Cooper, Welcome to my Nightmare.

Superb album.

Farewell To kings. Rush.
Excellent.

Ok, this is hard work. I have narrowed it down to 40. Will cogitate and play a few tomorrow to make further cuts.

Left some very good friends on the shelf, seems very rude to them!

Top fifty would surely have been better! I could have done ten just out of the Stones!

In no particular order:

Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
Liege and Leif - Fairport Convention
Black River Falls - Cathal Coughlan
The Hissing Of Summer Lawns - Joni Mitchell
Scott 4 - Scott Walker
His California Album - Bobby Bland
Bryter Layter - Nick Drake
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
The Return Of The Durutti Column - The Durutti Column
The Songs Of Leonard Cohen - Leonard Cohen

Bubbling under:

On The Beach - Neil Young
Jonathan Goes Country - Jonathan Richman
Layla - Derek and the Dominos
Hunky Dory - David Bowie
Technique - New Order

sirdennis - 2/4/2013 22:02

The Fear - 2/4/2013 21:57

Top fifty would surely have been better! I could have done ten just out of the Stones!

You just love to dictate don't you . :17:

I'm a forum rebel!

Did you not find it tough though? Love these sorts of things because it gets me sorting through my CDs! I had to apologise to a few that I left on the shelf! Lol

Not in any particular order and probably not the best albums of all time, but 10 I have listened to a LOT over the years

Rain Dogs - Tom Waits
Infected - The The
Because of the Times - Kings of Leon
Hatful of Hollow - Smiths
Elephant - The White Stripes
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Head on the Door - The Cure
Parklife - Blur
Definately Maybe - Oasis
Up to Our Hips - The Charlatans

The Fear - 2/4/2013 22:24

sirdennis - 2/4/2013 22:02

The Fear - 2/4/2013 21:57

You just love to dictate don't you . :17:

I'm a forum rebel!

Did you not find it tough though? Love these sorts of things because it gets me sorting through my CDs! I had to apologise to a few that I left on the shelf! Lol

Yes very tough . I did mine off the top of my head at work , but when I got home and had a look through my collection I realised that what I had left out were as good than what I included.

I'm in deep deliberation, I can't decide which Hendrix album wins out. Think I've resolved my U2 dilemma. I could do a top ten just out of the Stones so that one is tough! LOL

Technique - New Order
Nevermind - Nirvana
Keane - Hopes and Fears
Rolling Stones - 40 licks (Disc 1)
Sugar - Copper Blue
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Out of Nothing - Embrace
Original Pirate Material - The Streets
Out of Time - REM

Ok

<b>The Beatles</b>, got to be The White Album (even though it isn’t actually called that, it is just The Beatles)... such a diverse album, should win just for While My Guitar Gently Weeps alone to be honest, but then you also have Happiness Is A Warm Gun and Yer Blues etc. It is another of those, for my top ten, I only want 1 from each band. If not, then Let It Be and Abbey Road would also be in the list

<b>The Rolling Stones</b>, even tougher, probably my all time favourite band, even the last two Mick Jagger solo albums I thought were immense. I could name all the albums and make a case, but I’ll go for Exile On Main Street re-release as that has 2cds and extras! Some Girls is another I adore, as is Sticky Fingers which would make a list if I was doing multi entries per band! I nearly went for the live Shine A Light but decided that would be cheating

<b>Pink Floyd</b>, nearly the Wall as that is such a challenging and interesting album, but can’t really go beyond Wish You Were Here.... I’m one of a limited amount who actually like Final Cut and Waters solo work as well I think!

<b>Jimi Hendrix</b>... so much to choose from, but Are You Experience narrowly beats Blues for me.

<b>U2</b>.... one of six could have made it. Was close to saying the Unforgettable Fire because that was the album that first got me fully into them. But Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree just beat that one. Their latest is a class album as well, but I’m going to go with the Achtung Baby album, loved the shift in direction and have the box set anniversary edition that has loads of b sides and remixes.

<b>David Bowie</b>... Got to be Ziggy Stardust. I do like his 80’s much maligned output though, and loving his new album. I also liked Tin Machine, especially their first!

<b>The Stone Roses</b>... The Stone Roses... no further explanation needed. I loved the Second Coming as well. Honourable mention to Ian Brown’s solo work as well, some true gems in those albums. Can’t wait for the new Stone Roses release!

<b>REM</b>.. It was between Automatic for the People, Monster and New Adventures In Hi-Fi. New Adventures wins.

<b>Led Zeppelin</b>... Can’t choose between the individual albums so will go with the live How The West Was Won 3cd. Doffs cap to Robert Plant solo hits sixy six to Timbuktu

<b>Bruce Springsteen</b>... Darkness on the edge of Town... just stunning album. Also like the more recently released The Promise (outtakes etc from his time recording Darkness)

So there is a top ten....

But I can’t stop there, so top twenty-five it is...

<b>Deep Purple</b>... Perfect Strangers... a great return for a great band. Doffs hat to all the spin offs, Whitesnake (Come an Get It cover painted on my old school ruck sack, happy days), Rainbow, Gillan etc. All have done many favourite albums of mine not to mention the more conventionally classic Deep Purple albums.

<b>Guns n Roses</b>... could have been either Use Your Illusion to be honest, but Appetite broke them and was a nice shot of heavy metal at the time. So Appetite wins out, just.

<b>Black Sabbath</b>... I love the Ozzy Sabbath but for me Mob Rules and Heaven & Hell win out, and if I had to choose, which for this I do, it is Mob Rules. Classic heavy metal. Doffs cap to Ozzy, Blizzard of Oz, Diary of a Madman

<b>The Who</b>... Live at Leeds or Who’s Better, Who’s Best... I’ll go for the hits album because I find them a better singles band than album band. I’ve actually worn that cd out and now have to use Here and Now instead as I can’t get another of the Who’s Better!

Can I fit in <b>The Jam</b>.. All Mod Cons? Then you stray into the Paul Weller albums as well. Top twenty for sure, top ten? No. The hits Snap are also priceess

<b>Green Day....</b>.. I like their newer commercial stuff more than the oldies (most unlike most Green Day fans I’m sure). I think American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown are spiffing albums. I’m struggling to find time to get fully into Uno Dos and Tres, that would have made a belter of a single album in my humble. So American Idiot wins

<b>Arctic Monkeys</b>... Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not... and props to The Last Shadow Puppets... The Age Of The Understatement... outstanding!

<b>Iggy Pop</b> doesn’t feature album wise, got a fair few and they are good, but they are also patchy, but his ‘A Million In Prizes’ anthology is one of my favourite greatest hits for sure!

<b>Suede</b> .. Suede... a class band from start to finish. Got their new album, just not had time to listen yet!

<b>Oasis</b> ... Definitely Maybe... ace stuff!

<b>Blur</b>... I should probably go with Park Life as their recognised classic but I’m opting for the Blur album.

<b>Queen</b>... Could have been any really, but Queen 1 wins out.

<b>Nirvana</b>, Nevermind... it was a kick up the pants of the music scene and remains a classic. In Utero wasn’t far behind.

<b>AC/DC</b>... I think High Voltage narrowly beats Back In Black

<b>Eric Clapton</b>... he has to be in there somewhere, his live at the albert hall is great, his live with Stevie Winwood sublime, but I’ll go with Derek & The Dominoes, Layla and other assorted love songs.

Shame, I can’t fit in Chase and Status no more idols, The Prodigy Fat Of The Land or Eminem Marshall Mathers and the best of The Boomtown Rats/Bob Geldoff, but hey ho, I have nearly 1500 albums and I could be here all day if I continue!

Now it will slowly start to dawn on me who I’ve missed out!

I think when compiling these lists it's a tendancy to think 'they were a great band, I need to include them.' But IMO Beatles and Rolling Stones albums arent that great, they are littered with poor fillers, although obviously over time they have produced many many classic singles so their legendary status is applicable.

Lesser legendary bands however produce amazing albums Cast's All Change and OCS's Moseley Shoals for example.

Quality over quantity.

Couldn't disagree more Jim. Just down to the love/taste really isn't it?

Like Cast, like OCS, but adore the Stones albums, I can see no fillers in 99% of their albums, same with the Beatles. They actually, for me, stand out more as album bands than single bands because a lot of their singles were the more commercial side of things (not all)

The Who however, I find a singles band, same as the Kinks, and I'm sure others would scoff at that!

The Fear - 5/4/2013 16:50

I found it difficult but good fun!

Love rooting through my cds.

Your list is a great read, shows your passion for music, i almost went for Prodigy but i think 'music for a jilted generation' is a much better album than 'fat of the land' which has the obvious brilliant tracks but a few poor ones too

The Fear - 5/4/2013 16:08
The Who however, I find a singles band, same as the Kinks, and I'm sure others would scoff at that!

I wouldn't scoff but I disagree. The Who Sell Out is a fantastic album. Likewise The Village Green Preservation Society.