Top 10 best albums of all time radio 2 listeners | Vital Football

Top 10 best albums of all time radio 2 listeners

G

In a move that will stun many musical purists but will surprise few who read the playlists for Radio 2, Coldplay's A Rush Of Blood To The Head has been named the favourite album of all time by the BBC station's listeners.

The group, whose output was famously described by former Creation Records boss Alan McGee as "bedwetters' music", beat The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band – regularly at top of best album lists – into eighth place in the poll.

Coldplay's winning album, which features hits such as Clocks, In My Place and The Scientist, was their second LP and topped the chart when it was released in 2002. It has since sold more than 2.8m copies in the UK.

The runner-up, Hopes and Fears by Keane, another piano-led recording, was the most recent album in the top 10, dating from 2004. Duran Duran's Rio came third.

The top 10 albums were:

1 Coldplay Rush Of Blood To The Head (2002)

2 Keane Hopes and Fears (2004)

3 Duran Duran Rio (1982)

4 Pink Floyd The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)

5 Dido No Angel (1999)

6 The Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers (1971)

7 The Pet Shop Boys Actually (1987)

8 The Beatles Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

9 U2 The Joshua Tree (1987)

10 Queen A Night At The Opera (1975)

Full article found here; http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/apr/01/coldplay-best-album-radio-2

I could probably name a few albums which I think should be in that top 10, however the albums listed are all good.

Oh Jesus Christ surely not?! Come on! LOL... Of all time and Coldplay and Keane make the top two?!

Oh that is just an awful list order. Those two albums have no place in a top ten. The Coldplay one is a nice, decent album, but all time best?! :3:

Stones Sticky Fingers, maybe, although I'd make an argument for Exile On Main Street

Beatles, fine, agreed. So that is 1 and 2 for you.

Floyd yes.

Pet Shop Boys?!?!?!?!? Oh for the love of all that is good in this world of music, no no no ! And no place in any top ten for Duran Duran, nice pop band though they undoubtedly were.

This has left me most perturbed!!!!!!!!!!

AARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH I've just seen Dido is in there as well.

Hilarious! :19: :19: :19:

lol I know how does Dido get a mention yet no place for Led Zep "untitled" (or IV)?

Some strange voting going on there. A Rush of Blood is good but not great by ant stretch.

I am glad "A night at the Opera " gets a mention ,I love that album.

The best one on that list though is undoubtedly The Joshua Tree. Now that is a great album.

love these lists, they wind me up but do get you thinking don't they!?

Stones
Beatles
Hendrix
Led Zep
Stone Roses
Pink Floyd
U2

They just have to be in the lists!

Meatloaf bat out of hell is one of the biggest selling of all time so an argument for that inclusion (I preferred DeadRinger)

Springsteen Darkness on the Edge of Town?!?!

Bowie, one of several?!?!

Queen have a fair shout.

No Blur, no Oasis, no AC/DC, no Blue for Deano?

Mad list, just mad! LOL

Dylan? The Verve (some mighty fine albums) Beach Boys Pet Sounds, The Doors, Guns n Roses Appetite for doo dah?!?! Nirvana nevermind?! Then you have classics from REM and Radiohead...

My head is spinning! LOL

I'm not sure I could do a ten, it would be too painful. Maybe a top 50!

I ignore these lists as they are always manipulated by various factions.
I just like what I like and understand that everyone else is wrong

Simple system.

Perhaps a thread for the top 10 albums is needed.

That would be interesting , did Blue have 10 albums Deano ?

Heard this on Radio 2 this morning. I'm pretty sure Chris Evans was finding it hard to keep a straight face as he read out the news.

Very bizzare list indeed.

When I was a Radio 1 listener all the older radio snobs used to take the piss and say i should be listening to Radio 2. Well this proves Radio 2 listeners are in fact dick heads.

I might switch to Radio Norwich.

The radio 2 list is an absolute pisstake, it has to have been fudged to spark some controversy. There is no way the voting could have come up with that list.

James06 - 2/4/2013 13:12

The radio 2 list is an absolute pisstake, it has to have been fudged to spark some controversy. There is no way the voting could have come up with that list.

Oh sit down.

Trekker - 2/4/2013 17:38

I ignore these lists as they are always manipulated by various factions.
I just like what I like and understand that everyone else is wrong

Simple system.

That's just about how I feel to Trekker.

It's a crazy list. So much crap in there and almost a total lack of quality. I mean, they say "Of All Time" so what about "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Simon and Garfunkel for the youngsters. Queen - Sheer Heart Attack, Led Zepp, Black Sabbath, Paper Lace.........

Thought I'd throw the last one in.... :17:

:18:

Does anyone of my age (42) remember in 1988 when Radio 1 did the "best single of all-time" to celebrate (probably) 30 yrs.

3. Bohemian Rhapsody

2. Imagine

1.............................................Wait for it................................

..............................................................................................

..............................................................................................

Of course, it had to be...........................................................

And at No. 1 its......................................................................

1. Bros - I owe you nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most quality radio ever !!!

holtelower - 2/4/2013 20:30

Does anyone of my age (42) remember in 1988 when Radio 1 did the "best single of all-time" to celebrate (probably) 30 yrs.

3. Bohemian Rhapsody

2. Imagine

1.............................................Wait for it................................

Of course, it had to be...........................................................

And at No. 1 its......................................................................

1. Bros - I owe you nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most quality radio ever !!!

Absolutely crazy!!! When Will I Be Famous, was by far the better Bros tune.