Too much to do | Page 2 | Vital Football

Too much to do

Of course we are unbeaten but if that's the paradigm by which you judge the team then so be it. We don't lose but we find it hard to win because we can't score.

Wouldn’t be a bad paradigm to have tho would it?

I do get your point Wayne, about few goals and lack of creativity etc. but I’m not sure I fully agree on the outcome so far.

We haven't just become hard to beat and drawn 15 straight. We have actually won 7 drawn 8. More recently we’ve won 4 drawn 2, mostly away from home. We can and do win games.

What I, and I think a lot of fans everywhere, judge my team on is being competitive, hard working and hopefully winning more than losing. We have been top 6 in current form constantly over the last 3 months. That’s good for me. Not you?

We have a workmanlike side and we are now an upper-mid table team that’s “in with a shout”. After the last few years I’m pretty bloody chuffed with that.

We certainly have areas that we can work on. From what I’ve seen (and as you alluded to) we may have the ingredients in the club already. More creativity is mainly what we require. I agree with you that if Steve Evans can get confidence in the likes of Pringle and Willock then I think that will be solved. I personally think we have the strikers here that can score the goals. It’s not as if we spend each week missing sitters. We just don’t create heaps of good chances. Create more chances and Akinde, Hanlon, Mandron etc will score more.

Maybe you wanted us to go from relegation candidates each season to run away leaders in one go. That would be great, but I’m more than happy with the progress so far.

I seem to remember that we were similar in the Pulis days, prior to signing Super Bob and Cool Carl (Asaba).

When it was just Akinbiyi up front, I seem to remember that we played in a rather direct manner and his pace and skill would often create something out of nothing, but we were not exactly full of goals.

I also do not think we were ever really close to the League One play offs until Asaba and Taylor changed things, even though we already had Hess and some other quality players which we could not afford now.

Sign the best strikers and you’ll score more goals than your play would otherwise merit. Gives you the luxury of being able to be hard to play against but still likely to score. That always seemed to be Pulis’ tactic in the third tier.
We were blessed with having Eaves for the past season - we’d have gone down with a whimper both seasons without him.

I do wonder about the quality of what there is out there in striking terms. We didn’t have to pay a fortune to get Iffy Onoura (twice !) and how good was he ? Where is there anything similar at the moment ?

I do wonder about the quality of what there is out there in striking terms. We didn’t have to pay a fortune to get Iffy Onoura (twice !) and how good was he ? Where is there anything similar at the moment ?

I am hoping that Akinde turns into an Iffy type player.

Well it’s a lot harder after today.
Does anyone think we can still make the playoffs?

Well it’s a lot harder after today.
Does anyone think we can still make the playoffs?

I thought it was pretty unlikely beforehand. Definite no from me now.

I was really hoping for the 3pts today to keep the belief there and everyone upbeat. It was a definite winnable game and would have kept us in the hunt. A couple of decent results in our very tough games in March and we’d have been still “in with a shout” with an easier run in through April.

But just losing this one easier game puts all that on the back burner. 4 very tough games now and we could even play them well and end up with no victories. Just watch the vultures circle then.

Would be excellent to put in a nice unbeaten run again tho. I’d happily take that from here on even if it was too many draws.

Thank you Coventry! At least that makes Sunderland a tiny bit more catchable. Especially if we can nick 3 points off them next Saturday.

I hope you mean, he starts playing like Mr Onoura!

Lol I was just thinking I called that right - he looked proper iffy yesterday but I did mean turn into an iffy onoura type player. Hopefully he still will. with graham able to deliver corsses of quality he really should be able to convert a few.

Lol I was just thinking I called that right - he looked proper iffy yesterday but I did mean turn into an iffy onoura type player. Hopefully he still will. with graham able to deliver corsses of quality he really should be able to convert a few.

Im hoping that maybe the enforced change with Max being out, will mean we play with a winger(s). Having got Akinde in I’m wondering why we haven’t played with at least one of Graham, Roberts or Pringle on the wing providing ammo for John to get on the end of or knock down for Hanlon.

Edit - In fact, looking at that montage of goals the club put out before the weekend, a lot of our recent goals were scored late, once a winger had come on and provided a decent cross. Ogilvie a couple of times v Southend and Rochdale(?), Hanlon at Blackpool, and then RCC on Saturday.

In fact, looking at that montage of goals the club put out before the weekend, a lot of our recent goals were scored late, once a winger had come on and provided a decent cross.
You'd think someone else would notice that and adapt accordingly especially at home.

Fleetwood beat Ipswich 1-0 tonight, which means the gap to the playoffs is now 8 points, and Fleetwood in 6th place still have a game in hand on Gills!