Too much to do | Vital Football

Too much to do

Straightbat

Vital Reserves Team
To gain a playoff place it looks like Peterborough, Fleetwood and Oxford will be the teams to overtake, all of whom have a better goal difference, by a significant margin in two cases. All of them have an easier run in than us, based on the statistics to date of points per game of their opponents. And all of them have come into form recently.

Interestingly we still have to play the top 4 and the bottom 4 teams.

Interestingly we still have to play the top 4 and the bottom 4 teams.

And unfortunately we don’t play any of the teams immediately above us (5th down to 10th) except Fleetwood who are bang in form, so that we can make up 3pts on them.

So I also think we have too much to do. It would just be nice to keep up our excellent form so that it’s very late in the season before we have absolutely no chance.

All the time we can dream....

I know I bang on about it but it is testament to Evans, Raynor AND Scally that expectations are this high after the doom and gloom of the last few seasons. To be talking of play off chances in March (alright, late feb) when we are usually still sniffing around for points towards safety is nothing short of amazing.

It is a tough ask but it really all depends on how we play, not the opposition.

Even Raynor admitted this week that we have not been playing that well but have ground out results.

We need to be creating more chances and having more shots on target.

The other way of looking at it is that 4 of our last 5 games have been away from home and we are unbeaten, with 11 points gathered.

Now Jones and O'Keefe are back to make the defence even more solid, I would like to see Jordan Graham and Matty Willock getting starts so that we can just go for broke in the final third and cause the opposition problems.

We are going nowhere sadly unless we can convert possession into goals. Right now, cows arses and banjos come to mind.

I know I bang on about it but it is testament to Evans, Raynor AND Scally that expectations are this high after the doom and gloom of the last few seasons. To be talking of play off chances in March (alright, late feb) when we are usually still sniffing around for points towards safety is nothing short of amazing.

Nobby, keep banging on about it, because you’re absolutely right. We are getting every ounce out of every player who plays regularly, and pound for pound (£ not lb) we are doing unbelievably well. If they’d seen my arm up yesterday, I would have asked SE how many points he thinks he would get by the end of the season if he had Paul Lambert’s budget from day one. Is suspect he would have said 132 (if he could quickly do 44 x 3!)

We have two problems: [1] in the absence of the likes of Pringle, Willock and Graham in midfield, we will not create enough opportunities and [2] whichever way you look at it we don't have a striker, who can strike. Apart from Akinde, all our front players have had plenty of game time and are still not hitting the back of the net regularly. The results we've been grinding out have seen a lot of draws. On top of that, we have a defence that has turned to hoof ball, which is of no benefit to man or beast.

I'm right there to enjoy the ride! People have confidently predicted in seasons past that we would not go down and guess what?!
We need to win more than draw and lose almost no games. Can we do that? Why not? Lots of surprise results between now and May. And don't forget Fleetwood do not have a game on that last Sunday. Fun times ahead more than weeks of hand wringing and gloom.

We have two problems: [1] in the absence of the likes of Pringle, Willock and Graham in midfield, we will not create enough opportunities and [2] whichever way you look at it we don't have a striker, who can strike. Apart from Akinde, all our front players have had plenty of game time and are still not hitting the back of the net regularly. The results we've been grinding out have seen a lot of draws. On top of that, we have a defence that has turned to hoof ball, which is of no benefit to man or beast.

Cheer up chum. We're going for the pay offs and don't need any of your 'Yeh buts' ! We're trying to talk our heroes up not down.

I've been watching the Gills long enough to see changes occurring and often overnight too but they've had long enough to transform into a team that can.

I think there is a problem for next season that defensive part of the current team is not likely to be here next season - Tucker and Ogilvie will be sold, O'Connor and Jones will return back to Southampton and I think Fuller might be released. That leaves only Ehmer and Bonham, assuming the Ehmer signs a new contract

Not guaranteed that Evans and Raynor will be here next season either. They had an offer to move to a bigger club in January.

Fucking hell I feel miserable reading this. We’ll win tomorrow and hopefully that’ll have us talking in hope rather than doom-mongering. Wait until we drop a load of points then state we’re unlikely to make it.

In the meantime don’t just look at those between us and the play-offs, but also those in the play-offs. The talk of play-offs is enough to kill any team on poor form since the new year.
And I doubt Ogilvie and Tucker will go in the summer as they’re still inexperienced. However, we’re in the position to want good sums of money so who there’s every chance we can replace two promising kids and an old favourite.

How the f*ck are we 15 unbeaten?
Useless bastards.

After Pompey beat Rochdale tonight, the table is looking a lot clearer. Everyone has played same games (except Fleet and Cov 1 less). Top 5 are all 8pts plus ahead of us. That’s 3 games so that is probably beyond us.

For 6th spot, Peterboro (5), and Fleetwood (5 plus game in hand) are the clubs we need to overhaul.

So we can only hope Fleetwood and Peterboro have a worse run in than us. We do have to play Fleetwood at ours. That truly will be a “must win” if we are to have any hope. Assuming also we do better than Ipswich, Oxford and Donny over the next 11 games.