Tony Xia Thread | Page 97 | Vital Football

Tony Xia Thread

and me, got slated calling him a snake oil salesman and a crook (especially on twitter) but he was, he is, simples! The twitterati just liked the fact the idiot was on twitter talking nonsense, because that is all they do!
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but opinion is not fact. I don't remember you going as far as calling him a crook JF, but you voiced your concern. Others were suggesting that all Chinese are the same, which drew my criticism (because of the racist element). Whether he is or he isn't was up for debate but some of the posts were unsavoury due to generalisation.

On twitter Merd a fair bit was. It was funny, I've got a thick skin and all along I wanted him to be proven to be the best thing ever, not to be right on suspicions. They were well founded with the contacts I have who do a lot of these football takeovers (very lucky to have them, dates back to pre-Randy takeover).

On here a rough ride is usually in pretty good spirit, like when I said Lambert was a disaster lol...!!!!!!!

On twitter Merd a fair bit was. It was funny, I've got a thick skin and all along I wanted him to be proven to be the best thing ever, not to be right on suspicions. They were well founded with the contacts I have who do a lot of these football takeovers (very lucky to have them, dates back to pre-Randy takeover).

On here a rough ride is usually in pretty good spirit, like when I said Lambert was a disaster lol...!!!!!!!
Don't do twatter thank McGrath. I think a blood vessel might actually pop if what people in here say about some of the posts. That one about Tammy's penalty miss for Chelski for instance.

I wouldn't out of choice I must say. Forums, I think, are far better for proper football (or other subjects I guess!) talk. You can build a nice community and people, largely, self police and if someone steps out of line or starts getting rude, the other users will put them in their place. On social media you obviously have loads of good folks, but it is so easy for the angry mob to shout down proper chats.

Ha ha, I'd forgotten about this!! Peak bullshit from the good doctor :rofl:

Seen a few interviews with various ex players, managers and others connected to the club recently. Paul Faulkner the most recent but heard one with Elphick that shed some light on the craziness of the early days under Xia.

Best moment was him being called to meet him in an office at bodymore being told Xia had a present for him. When he got there he was immediately told by Xia that he was thinking about sacking Di Matteo and wanted to know what Elphick thought about the situation. This was about 4 games into the season. The whole time sounds like chaos.

Seen a few interviews with various ex players, managers and others connected to the club recently. Paul Faulkner the most recent but heard one with Elphick that shed some light on the craziness of the early days under Xia.

Best moment was him being called to meet him in an office at bodymore being told Xia had a present for him. When he got there he was immediately told by Xia that he was thinking about sacking Di Matteo and wanted to know what Elphick thought about the situation. This was about 4 games into the season. The whole time sounds like chaos.
The guy was a madman, same level as Trump or Elon Musk but with a more questionable business background - The main questions being who the fuck was he and did he actually have any money.

The guy was a madman, same level as Trump or Elon Musk but with a more questionable business background - The main questions being who the fuck was he and did he actually have any money.

Who knows. I'd love to see an interview with the young lad who he made his assistant when he arrived. Chinese guy, was already at the club before Xia came in. Ended up being made a director or something?

Who knows. I'd love to see an interview with the young lad who he made his assistant when he arrived. Chinese guy, was already at the club before Xia came in. Ended up being made a director or something?

Rongtian He was his name. He must have a few stories.

The day he arrived at Bodymoor in an A2B taxi was the day I started to have doubts. That and the day he bought the club and was showing journos a print out of his bank balance.

The day he arrived at Bodymoor in an A2B taxi was the day I started to have doubts. That and the day he bought the club and was showing journos a print out of his bank balance.

Very fair point. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt as I do all owners, people should be judged on their actions. Unfortunately his actions nearly bankrupted the club. Fortunately it didn't, and it was a short tenure. Certainly didn't do as much damage as Mr Lerner who let the club bleed out over years, something we still haven't recovered from.

No one ever seemed to be able to tie down what his company did either. Even Recons website was an amateurish mess that hardly ever got updated.

Read an interview with Steve Hollis earlier who was appointed by Randy specifically to sell the club. Apparently several Chinese and American investors were very interested in us. How we ended up with Xia will always baffle me.

Very fair point. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt as I do all owners, people should be judged on their actions. Unfortunately his actions nearly bankrupted the club. Fortunately it didn't, and it was a short tenure. Certainly didn't do as much damage as Mr Lerner who let the club bleed out over years, something we still haven't recovered from.
Remember when Tony ran towards the Holte in his first game as owner. It was magically funny. Should have sussed him then. Another false dawn. I'm eternally optimistic about our long term prospects
No one ever seemed to be able to tie down what his company did either. Even Recons website was an amateurish mess that hardly ever got updated.

Read an interview with Steve Hollis earlier who was appointed by Randy specifically to sell the club. Apparently several Chinese and American investors were very interested in us. How we ended up with Xia will always baffle me.
Posted
He seemed a genuine enthusiast for the club.
Remember his first home game? He ran to the Holte like a five year old on Xmas morning.It was magically funny.

That whole Rotherham game was a massive false dawn. Battered them 3-0 and came away thinking we'd get promoted, Rudy would get 20 goals, Ayew would destroy every full back in the league and even that Mccormack looked decent. Dr Tony coming onto the pitch frantically waving his arms whist Villa Park cheered him on was just the icing on the cake.

By the way, He as in Rongtian He ...

Why did we choose Xia? Can only think he spun a fairly good line, and maybe convinced Hollis his wealth was more substantial than it was. Remember that well into his tenure he had people gushing about his plans for B6.

Also, at the time, getting Chinese investment into football clubs seemed the clever thing to do. When the Chinese government itself decided it wasn't a good idea the writing was on the wall.

Last edited: