Tony Xia Thread | Page 89 | Vital Football

Tony Xia Thread

Think he was more a person overtaken by events than anything else. Although he gave the impression of having more money available outside of China than he actually did.
Did you see the Brian Clough movie - he used to buy players without the Chairman's knowledge at Derby. Knowing the chancers at Villa at the time I can see that sort of thing was happening to us also. Sherwood definitely had no knowledge of some of the players that were brought in. I know that is before Xia, but if it's in the culture of the management, it's hard to remove quickly.

Thought Tim was OK but lacked experience. The fact that he put so much effort into trying to get Adebayor showed he knew how weak we were up front. It must have been a shock when he realised that the majority of his players couldn't speak English. His record at Spurs, 59% win, was, well, a record.

I still think he’s hanging on somewhere, there was no news of him being bought out or selling his remaining shares it just mysteriously appeared on companies house one day that he no longer has over 25%. Quite where he has gone and why is unclear maybe they have diluted him out of the equation but wouldn’t have thought it would be that easy to get rid of him - looks like £21,686,747 shares were added last month, presumably to the new guys which is probably why Xia’s % is now under 25%.

Last edited:
That should equate to £21m of extra investment from our new billionaires. They paid off a lot of loans which Xia had taken out, so that diluted his shares.

I hate to be pedantic, but Sherwood won 14 of his 28 matches as Spurs manager, which by my calculations is a 50% win record. He also lost 10 interestingly - he didn't really do drawing matches.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/tim-sherwood/stationen/trainer/8259/plus/1

The draw point - I think that’s where his lack of experience/coaching brain probably played a part in his demise. He’s a bit of a Stuart Pearce type - endearing to many for his passion and heart-on-sleeve attitude but you need more than that.

I’ll never forget Leicester away when we’re 2-0 up, then brought on Jordan fucking Ayew. For me, that is a championship manager sub a 13 year old would make. I’m not sure Ray Wilkins was probably as fresh in his mind when he was here to mentor Sherwood much, sounded like he enjoyed a drink.

Right. How pedantic can you get? I mean, OK, maybe it was 50% not 59%. Not a lot of difference. Really. Still, if you want to split hairs ...

59% makes it sound nearer 60%, which would be amazing. But his stats are improved by the fact he was only in charge for 5 minutes. I reckon you or I could have had a similar win % with the group of players he had at Spurs.

The draw point - I think that’s where his lack of experience/coaching brain probably played a part in his demise. He’s a bit of a Stuart Pearce type - endearing to many for his passion and heart-on-sleeve attitude but you need more than that.

I’ll never forget Leicester away when we’re 2-0 up, then brought on Jordan fucking Ayew. For me, that is a championship manager sub a 13 year old would make. I’m not sure Ray Wilkins was probably as fresh in his mind when he was here to mentor Sherwood much, sounded like he enjoyed a drink.

Ray told Sherwood not to do it and had a massive row at Ray's house with Ray saying if you are not going to listen to me I'm off.

Indeed Sherwood took hold of a quality squad and it gradually unraveled over half a season , hence why he got fired
Still annoys me he ever had the privilege to manage villa , he didn't deserve the job. Twat Tom fox

Indeed Sherwood took hold of a quality squad and it gradually unraveled over half a season , hence why he got fired
Still annoys me he ever had the privilege to manage villa , he didn't deserve the job. Twat Tom fox

Yeah. But those 2 wins in 5 days against the Tesco bags though. :love: