Tony Xia Thread | Page 8 | Vital Football

Tony Xia Thread

To be honest it means little without context really. The only takeaway really is Lotus is undergoing changes - greater than that it's speculation and supposition that doesn't say a lot about Lotus undergoing restructure nor Villa.

We are just part of the Recon portfolio filed under the sports leisure and tourism section. It took Lerner about 5 years to get bored I think Xia is already there after 2.

When you deal with Chinese businessmen day in day out and none had even heard of Xia you have to be worried.

I have been from day 1 and I think he's been financing us by shifting money around in his companies and hasn't the means to do it any longer.

With a population of 1.3 billion it might be quite hard to keep a track of who 's who !.

People not hearing of Dr X doesn't bother me.

What has the Dr done to deserve the level of suspicion here? Has he not honoured everything he has stated? Did he not support his managers? The club has to live within ffp, I cannot see how he can be blamed for anything so far. It's not like Lerner who ,just as we were going to become stabilised in the Premiership top 6, pulled the financial rug out from beneath the club causing untold damage.

What has the Dr done to deserve the level of suspicion here? Has he not honoured everything he has stated? Did he not support his managers? The club has to live within ffp, I cannot see how he can be blamed for anything so far. It's not like Lerner who ,just as we were going to become stabilised in the Premiership top 6, pulled the financial rug out from beneath the club causing untold damage.

Agree Wurzel. Xia gambled, spent heavily and hoped the squad would see us promoted. Now we have to suffer the consequences of that gamble not paying off. We're all hurting after last week but I can't criticise Xia, as I said previously, if he'd come in two years ago and spoke about FFP and spent sod all we all know how that would have been received by Villa fans, myself included. Bottom line is that with the squad we had this season we should have had enough to go up. We didn't but that's nothing to do with Xia. Only thing I'd criticise him for is appointing RDM and using social media unwisely at times. Yesterday's announcement has actually made matters worse! Better to keep quiet until they can give us more concrete facts/news. I much prefer the more open dialogue from above as opposed to the silence from Lerner but fanning the flames as he has done yesterday serves no purpose other than to invite more speculation and criticism.

Always settled for second best have ya the Chopper was the bollox
Saw two choppers on ebay recently, £1000 each. My mate had one, seem to remember he would give a backie to 2 of us so 3 on one chopper was the norm until he lost the front end and we crashed. Folds of skin covered in grit would then be patched up, tears wiped away and off you would go again.

The doc came in full of enthusiasm like a real fan and thought his injection of money and his trust in experts would push us to promotion. In some respects he has been let down by a player acquisition programme that has lumbered him and us with an ageing squad that couldn't quite run the course. He has now been forced to face reality and cut our coat according to our cloth. Let's hope his management team and advisors can come up with a strategy that keeps us competetive.
When Wyness was on WM before Christmas he said they had a plan for all eventualities. We're about to see Plan B.

Yes. I do worry that the plan may have changed though. I hope this new strategy had been thoroughly discussed with the likes of wyness and round and isn't some knee jersey think to Saturdays loss.

Didn't we know all along we'd have to cut our cloth accordingly if we didn't go up. I don't think the plan has changed. Xia cannot spend now due to FFP so he's snookered either way

In many ways I am happy for the club to be self sustainable because as we have found in the past relying on the owner to pump wads of cash in is all well and good until he loses interest. If we run the club enterprisingly and generate different streams of income then long term that can only be good.

Short term there could be some pain.

I agree sirdennis, but this short term pain seems to be developing into a long drawn out ache. I remember, in the dying couple of years of our P.L. days, people saying that relegation could be a good thing because a short stay in the Championship would see us bounce back in better shape. Short term pain would benefit us they said. We've had the promise of better days dangled in front of us for so long and been asked for patience so many times that it's wearing a bit thin. Then again, we have no right to expect miracles.
Now we're in for another dose of reality which, to be fair, we have no choice but to recognise.
I've got my season ticket and I'll turn up again next season but I'd like to see some concrete progress from the off.

And don't get me wrong, daft as it may seem, I've actually enjoyed this last season.

I would rather (at least in the short term) have a Villa that is competitive in the Championship than one battling Premiership relegation every season. Hopefully we won't be battling Championship relegation (we shouldn't be if the club is run properly).

(To preface, not sticking up for Randy, made too many mistakes, including managers/staff)

And yet when reality dawned for Randy that they were way off FFP that hadn't been done yet when he took over (I don't think?) and had to live within the biased rules, he did damage?

This current owner, I am unsure of. I think that's healthy. I hope he ends up great. I have my doubts. Refusing to change the pitch last year (11 years into a 10 year life span) didn't bode well for the money the club have for a start.

I have no idea how much of his own money he has put in. Might be loads, genuinely don't know.

But for me, I just am suspicious. You telling me he didn't do due diligence? If so, that's his fault. You telling me that because Randy told him we had a squad capable of promotion he took that as gospel and bought us? If so, that's his fault. You telling me he didn't know about the FFP and in buying older players, high wages, no sell on (same as Randy did) that was building for our future?

Randy... or his choice Fox more to the point - put us on a very rocky road. I don't see that Xia has done much (yet?) to put us on a firm footing and his release, if it was truly pushed for because of tweets to him, worries me even more.

I'm a businessman.

That's 'I'm not putting my money in'.

Mike Ashley at Newcastle is a billionaire, but he doesn't put his billions in. No real point being a billionaire owner then really.

Time will tell on Xia. I hope he's the real deal, best owner ever.

I remain skeptical. Maybe I'm once bitten twice shy!

Didn't he say biggest in Europe in 5 years? Best get a wriggle on then!

The only thing at the back of my mind is that Steve Hollis had done due diligence on Dr Tony. Now whether the level of that due diligence was sufficient I don't know , but Hollis seemed pretty clued up on such matters.
I do remember him saying when I stood in for JF at the fans consultation group thingy that there were a few interested parties he had met but Dr Tony was the best bet. Now again whether he was the best of an average bunch who knows. Also his financial situation may have changed in the last 2 years , but either way I don't think he is going to fund us like Randy did in his earlier years.

Like JF says he may turn out to be the business.

"I'm a businessman. "

Don't read too much into that. It doesn't mean he won't put money in. It does mean that when he does put money in he doesn't want to see it wasted. Invest not throw away. Good.

Has he put money in? He has to have. You only have a £13m FFP limit in the Championship if the owner covers the debt with equity; if the owner doesn't it's only £5m.

Is he the real deal? Not sure what this is. Nothing lasts forever. You can only measure the owner by whether the club is improving. This club is in a vastly better place now than it was two years ago. We may be facing cuts over what was spent before, but I have enough faith in Wyness to believe we're not in deep trouble; the club itself is not at risk, and I'd be very surprised if we can't have at least a decent season coming up, although by what means remains to be seen.