Tony Xia Thread | Page 77 | Vital Football

Tony Xia Thread

Randy started brilliantly. First few years he did loads for this club. (It then went very, very wrong I know, so not poles apart on that Wurzel) but when he came in he was perfect and spent a fortune.

Funny enough, a couple years back when the Randy era was coming to a close I was at an NYCFC match sat on the field next to an English woman. We were speaking for a little while and she ended up asking if I supported any European clubs, I of course boasted my Villa allegiances.

She then asked me, "What do you think of Randy Lerner?" I responded absolutely slating the man for losing interest in the club, and plunging us into the depths of relegation. Naturally, she ended up being his neighbor and her son was friends with one of Randy's kids. I naturally backed up and spoke about how he did loads for the club when he started off.

But I digress, I honestly don't give a toss about who owns my club, so long as they can fund the club and harbor the ambition to take us forward, always improving.

Xia payed £65m, with add-ons if we were promoted. On top of that according to the accounts he's put in £57m equity. May have put in more since; must have done to trigger the allowed £13m FFP loss for last year.

The rumours persist that Xia borrowed all the money to purchase us and to allow for working capital. My view is that is probably true and for a while moved money around his companies, robbing peter to pay paul.
Those companies seem to be pretty worthless and it looks like there's no cash in any of them to move around.
Now he's in the position of having to pay back his creditors and just hasn't got enough to do it, hence why he's trying to hang on to us.
I can see admin coming soon as so many big payments are due with not enough coming back the other way.
Meanwhile back in China Xia surely expects a nasty fate to end his Walter Mitty lifestyle.

Funny enough, a couple years back when the Randy era was coming to a close I was at an NYCFC match sat on the field next to an English woman. We were speaking for a little while and she ended up asking if I supported any European clubs, I of course boasted my Villa allegiances.

She then asked me, "What do you think of Randy Lerner?" I responded absolutely slating the man for losing interest in the club, and plunging us into the depths of relegation. Naturally, she ended up being his neighbor and her son was friends with one of Randy's kids. I naturally backed up and spoke about how he did loads for the club when he started off.

But I digress, I honestly don't give a toss about who owns my club, so long as they can fund the club and harbor the ambition to take us forward, always improving.

Nothing wrong with that Yank strange part is I was hoping right up to his final year that Randy would come back to us and fall back in love with the club. But Randy had his own problems to take care of over the water a young son I was given to understand at the time.

Yes it's a different conversation on what could have been with Randy. Still feel sad the way it went, I got to know him, got to like the guy, I thought we were going places, things like Acorns and VMF filled me with pride.

The rest we know.

Don't think Randy understood the dynamics of running a football club. You can't let the manager run things unsupervised, as he did with MON. You need somebody with experience of running businesses actually at the club running things; Hollis was the first one. Shame he didn't get it right. Getting it wrong cost us hugely.

Thing is Mc, Faulkner's face didn't fit because of his background but he did a better job that anyone in a true CEO role when it came to growth off the pitch. It wasn't Hollis' remit especially but we plundered as he looked to steady and sell so he can't take credit in the true sense of his job title.

We (well some of us) were calling for MON to be wound in 12 months before RL did it, history denotes it's was RL's mistake not MON for spending other people's money and stockpiling stuff he'd never use. RL didn't have a choice with the finances, MON threw his bib and went off to smartly insult some football guests at the World Cup having failed at everything since. That was the key mistake though looking back - in that moment RL needed to get a grip of things and he didn't - he drifted away.

As for Xia, he has categorically put money in or the EFL wouldn't give us the FFP leeway boost - who knows if it was his money or not, I'm not prepared to speculate without knowing.

I'm getting quite cynical so, with apologies to The Who.

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again
Don't get fooled again, no no
Yeaaah
Great song! Saw them perform that in 85 at the NEC.

While it does seem Xia is something of a chancer and a charlatan, nobody seems to be making much of Keith Wyness' role in all this.

He was supposed to be a solid football man and a safe pair of hands in charge of the ship, but all this unravelled on his watch with Xia out of the country for long periods of time.

How come Wyness seems to be getting a free pass in all this? Genuine question - I'm not looking to pin it all on him, but he's quietly slipped away.

Good question JPA we are all only guessing what's gone on but it could just be a case that Dr Who duped everyone

Let's hope today for some good news for a change although this forthcoming Friday has been mentioned a few times by some people that something MAY happen regarding any sale?

I can't even call him Dr anymore because I wouldn't be surprised if that title is just as phoney as he is.

Good question JPA we are all only guessing what's gone on but it could just be a case that Dr Who duped everyone

Oh I'm sure "Dr" Xia is heavily implicated, but I doubt it was he who, for instance, gave Ross McCormack his juicy contract, along with a reported £1m bonus if we got promoted.

Wyness is definitely in this up to his neck, I suspect. Why else would he have been removed from his post?

Oh I'm sure "Dr" Xia is heavily implicated, but I doubt it was he who, for instance, gave Ross McCormack his juicy contract, along with a reported £1m bonus if we got promoted.

Wyness is definitely in this up to his neck, I suspect. Why else would he have been removed from his post?
He wasn't removed...he quit and is suing the club for shed loads as he was disciplined for doing what he was required to do by law to do. Failure to do what he did would have led to him being responsible for the clubs debts. As I understand it.

Wyness is definitely in this up to his neck, I suspect. Why else would he have been removed from his post?[/QUOTE]

Have no answers mate I have heard certain things over the last few weeks but I always wait till it's common knowledge before commenting. But yeah there is not only Xia to blame in the day to day running of the club and throwing all the eggs into one basket all I know is were in one sorry mess right now and if it ain't sorted out this week we may never recover.