Tonight's the night | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tonight's the night

We had numerous opportunities Barbles, it was our incompetence rather than anything Liverpool did defensively that saw them come to nothing, if we were even half as clinical as Liverpool this tie would still be very much alive. You give Real or Barca opportunities like that they will punish you.

I disagree on that it was just incompetence by City, you have to give our defence more credit than that surely? in any match there will always be chances for both teams, especially two attacking teams.
It could be said that City are more clinical this season than both the Spanish teams and even they miss chances

Not sure that we did throw everything we had at you in the second half mate and by that I mean we can and should have played a whole lot better than we did.
However, on the night I think Pep underestimated your attacking strength and just was too slow to do anything about it.
Life goes on

If I were a City fan I should be extremely worried if your final sentence is true, underestimating the (arguably) best forward line in the league and possibly Europe?

I disagree on that it was just incompetence by City, you have to give our defence more credit than that surely? in any match there will always be chances for both teams, especially two attacking teams.
It could be said that City are more clinical this season than both the Spanish teams and even they miss chances

Think the Sane counter just after you scored where he fluffed his lines, Sane again second half volleying from an angle with Jesus free inside, Sane again passing to Karius with Silva and Jesus free inside. Then there's the perfectly good goal we had ruled out for offside. Liverpool were well disciplined but we still got through and fucked it up on the final ball/shot.

I've read most of the threads on this game now and all I have seen are excuses, blaming the Ref/linesmen, the fans outside the ground, incompetent strikers and even your manager for underestimating the Liverpool strike force.
Surely there must be a time when you've got to stand up and say you were beaten by the better team on the night for the 2nd time in a row against Liverpool.
Outfought on the pitch and out-thought tactically.
I said before the this game that no matter what the score it wouldn't be all over and I stand by that.
If City do manage to do it you will find me more gracious in defeat:thumbup:

I've read most of the threads on this game now and all I have seen are excuses, blaming the Ref/linesmen, the fans outside the ground, incompetent strikers and even your manager for underestimating the Liverpool strike force.
Surely there must be a time when you've got to stand up and say you were beaten by the better team on the night for the 2nd time in a row against Liverpool.
Outfought on the pitch and out-thought tactically.
I said before the this game that no matter what the score it wouldn't be all over and I stand by that.
If City do manage to do it you will find me more gracious in defeat:thumbup:

You're very selective in what you read.

I think you'll find that the vast majority have said that Liverpool deserved their win. That however doesn't mean that other aspects of the game, whether that's officiating or profligacy or discussing the disgraceful behaviour of some outside the ground won't be discussed too. This is a forum for discussion and debate after all.

My first comment after the game:

Well played Liverpool, they wanted it more, Milner was outstanding. Pep got it badly wrong with the set up from the start

I've followed that up with scathing criticism of City for the first half display as well as comment about how Liverpool were given the benefit of the doubt by that linesman all night long.

In fact I don't believe I've seen anyone put the blame solely on officials for the defeat. If i'm wrong then please be so kind as to point them out.The other things you've listed as excuses are just talking points which are perfectly normal when discussing a game.

What exactly do you expect? Everyone just to say well done Liverpool and leave it at that? That wouldn't really make for a good forum, would it?

18 pts and you are 3rd 'Mind the Gap' anyone can beat anyone in a one off game, ask Wigan. Will you be able to do it over 38 games? Will United be your nemesis?

I am absolutely sure that after Liverpool were thrashed 5-0 at the Etihad most red fans would have been bemoaning the decision to send off Mané, probably complaining that the officials got it wrong (they didn’t by the way) and hardly any would have been praising City for forcing Mignolet to pick the ball out of the net 5 times or complimenting the Blues on how they had cut apart Klopp’s defence.

There has been much frustration with the City players and the City coach (the man, not the one criminally damaged by the Neanderthals outside the ground) expressed here and acknowledgement that our club was outplayed on the night. It is a bit of a stretch to expect posters on an opposition discussion board to spend their time extolling the virtues of the side they have just lost to - they are far more likely to focus on specific issues relating to their own team or certain incidents in the game. For fawning over Klopp and his players and endless praise of Milner & co Liverpool discussion boards/sites will be the place to go.

I trust that should City prevail 5-0 again at the Etihad (unlikely, but bear with me) after smashing up the Liverpool team bus (I think it unlikely and sincerely hope that no damage is caused) then we can expect fullsome praise for City and Pep’s brilliance in masterminded Liverpool’s defeat.

I will not hold my breath.

I wonder if we'll ever see Barbles post again following tonight's second leg tie?

I wonder if we'll ever see Barbles post again following tonight's second leg tie?

I deliberately kept away as things could have been a bit raw for you on here.
I want to congratulate City on winning the league, by far the best team over 38 games.
As for next season, I have very high hopes now that we have our defence sorted out and have the best attack in the league and the arrival of Kieta in midfield.
Time will tell:bow: