Tonight’s match - Mansfield v Scunny | Page 8 | Vital Football

Tonight’s match - Mansfield v Scunny

Well a fairer question (not a choice of 1 good 4 bad vs 1 bad 4 good) would be of the 5 defenders would it be best for the keeper to be the weakest or one of the back four in front of him to be the weakest ?
Think I would definitely NOT want the keeper to be the weakest link...

You completely missed my point. You imply Slocombe needs replacing as reserve goalkeeper as you have no confidence in him. Presumably you think he is a bad goalkeeper.

I think most goalkeepers of L2 level would struggle to shine given the opportunities Slocombe has been given but would appear better if they played every week in a winning team behind a strong defence.

The point I am trying to make is n’t that Slocombe is a better goal keeper than Vickers. It’s that your lack of confidence in him is based on seeing him play in difficult circumstances. He may look a better goalkeeper in better circumstances.

The things that are important to playing at your best include

A run of games in a short period
A Settled team around you
The players around you are the best available
The opposition are no better or inferior than you
Confidence built from playing in a number of winning matches
A familiar environment in which you feel confident

The above are available to Vickers at the moment and he is showing on the whole
What a good keeper he is.

Slocombe has had none of the above advantages.

Implying players are “bad” without carefully considering the evidence is n’t fair to them.

You completely missed my point. You imply Slocombe needs replacing as reserve goalkeeper as you have no confidence in him. Presumably you think he is a bad goalkeeper.

I think most goalkeepers of L2 level would struggle to shine given the opportunities Slocombe has been given but would appear better if they played every week in a winning team behind a strong defence.

The point I am trying to make is n’t that Slocombe is a better goal keeper than Vickers. It’s that your lack of confidence in him is based on seeing him play in difficult circumstances. He may look a better goalkeeper in better circumstances.

The things that are important to playing at your best include

A run of games in a short period
A Settled team around you
The players around you are the best available
The opposition are no better or inferior than you
Confidence built from playing in a number of winning matches
A familiar environment in which you feel confident

The above are available to Vickers at the moment and he is showing on the whole
What a good keeper he is.

Slocombe has had none of the above advantages.

Implying players are “bad” without carefully considering the evidence is n’t fair to them.

Well I completely missed your point then.
But the goalkeeping position I think is a worry.
I would be happy if Smith was back. He looked good.
But if Vickers was injured again (and that's very possible), I don't think Slocombe would be adequate cover. That's the point I was making. But he could get two more cup ties to prove otherwise to me.

But if Vickers was injured again (and that's very possible), I don't think Slocombe would be adequate cover. That's the point I was making. But he could get two more cup ties to prove otherwise to me.

Slocombe will not play in the FA Cup unless Vickers is unable to walk.

But...

...from very recent games, I think Vickers is still carrying that quad injury.

I would be recalling Smith asap.

Slocombe will not play in the FA Cup unless Vickers is unable to walk.

But...

...from very recent games, I think Vickers is still carrying that quad injury.

I would be recalling Smith asap.

Hope you’re wrong about Vickers. Might be we’ll find out who’s right about Slocombe if not!

Last edited: