Tonight’s match - Mansfield v Scunny | Vital Football

Tonight’s match - Mansfield v Scunny

Scunthorpe to lose by one goal or more. However if they lose by one goal and score three or more i.e. lose 4-3 then we are out as well!

A bit of a dilemma for Mansfield. Do they:

a) field a weakened team against Scunthorpe, possibly allowing Scunthorpe to draw or win and thereby eliminate Lincoln (surely Mansfield would like to give Lincoln more games to play, not fewer, especially now that Lincoln are also through to the second round of the FA Cup);

or

b) field a strong side against Scunthorpe to eliminate them and give Lincoln more games to play; but also potentially weaken their team for the league game against Lincoln on 24 November?

I think they will field a weakened team against Scunthorpe and put as much energy as they can into the Lincoln game, but it could potentially work for or against them whichever option they choose.

a) field a weakened team against Scunthorpe, possibly allowing Scunthorpe to draw or win and thereby eliminate Lincoln (surely Mansfield would like to give Lincoln more games to play, not fewer, especially now that Lincoln are also through to the second round of the FA Cup);

or

b) field a strong side against Scunthorpe to eliminate them and give Lincoln more games to play; but also potentially weaken their team for the league game against Lincoln on 24 November?

I think they will field a weakened team against Scunthorpe and put as much energy as they can into the Lincoln game, but it could potentially work for or against them whichever option they choose.
And after all that Scunny will field a weakened team and it won't matter what Mansfield put out!

Really undecided on this one. Had such a great day out at Wembley in April and would love a return visit but the league and a decent FA Cup run are the priority now so honestly if Scunthorpe get what they want tonight I won't be overly bothered

I think I'm back to not caring much about this one. Although the money is good.

Having said that, it's out of our hands anyway.

Not bothered one way or the other. Great if we get to the last 32, but now we've been there, seen it,done it AND won the Trophy, we can only ever equal the feat, so the Staaaaags can do their worst.

or

I don't think for a second that Mansfield's team selection tonight will have any thoughts towards the league match with the Imps, which is nearly a fortnight away.

They have a home league game on Saturday v Port Vale and a FA cup replay the following Tuesday v Charlton. Both of which they will want to win, if those two matches are not foremost in their planning something is wrong.

Last edited:
Forgot this match was on tonight. As much as it would be nice for the result to go our way and for us to go through, our focus simply has to be on League Two.

2 weakened sides ,i would expect Scunthorpes to be stronger and us out!However i believed Notts County would give Kewell more time?

I want us to stay in for sure.
Every match the squad players get is a big help, either improves them as first team players when needed OR possibly eliminates them as first team options.
And we make more money and if we do stay in and keep going another round or two then who knows.