Tonight's lineup | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tonight's lineup

Yes result not important. Glad that Bradley Stevenson has taken his chance. He seems to have moved well ahead of other youngsters like Oldaker and Chapman.

Bit of a damp squib of a first half - Millwall the better team, but had to settle for a handful of half chances which barely troubled the tidy holy. We had no chances of note - had lots of good opportunities around the box, but some very poor crosses, last passes and set pieces. All in 0-0 was fair and appropriate.

Good and open second half. Both teams had plenty of good chances - holy was made to work more, but Amos made a couple of good saves too. The biggest regret was the finishing - Hanlon, Cook and a Eaves put 3-4 great chances wide, past the same post - should have settled it with 1 or 2 of those. Our crossing was poor throughout, especially O’Neill and Garmston.

Overall, the second half kept the momentum going and we more than matched Millwall and we have an array of pace options - Hanlon, Cook and then Stephenson are a breath of fresh air. Eaves came in to the game and was back to himself after a quiet/awkward looking first half.

The penalties were abysmal but I’m not too fussed personally and wouldn’t expect us to practise them for a match like that. Millwall’s penalties were good but holy was close to most of them. Had our penalties been half as good, I think holy would have won us the shoot out as I sense he’s a better keeper than Amos.

As I say, lots of positives but a few areas to improve on too, which is also positive. And a 0-0 against a champ team, losing on pens which I get the impression no one really cares about that much, definitely keeps the momentum going.

Good report ST. Saved me some time. Yes, poor crosses and Parker has a poor game - his pen summed it up. Happy with the rest. Charles Cook was exciting. Wondering if Hanlon can actually score. Rest of his game was good.

Have to slag off Wilko the lazy ####. Had 10 mins to put in some effort and bottled it/didn't bother.

Overall a very pleasing performance and home by 10.30 in spite of the pens.

COYG!

I felt Millwall had the better of the first half and Holy made 2 or 3 saves including a one on one, and he would have impressed any watching scouts. We had one half chance where Eaves shot over first time when perhaps he ought to have hit the target.

In the second half we created more including 2 similar chances for Hanlan and Charles-Cook. Both shot just wide of the far post when it looked like they would score.
Stevenson looked the part when he came on, making driving runs forward from midfield, and we also saw Fuller come on to make a few interceptions towards the end.
Wilkinson came on and made a few nice touches, but was never able to have a shot at goal.

Millwall came close a couple of times in injury time, but then it went straight to penalties in front of the Gills end.
Wallace’s kick was saved by Holy, but then Byrne also saw his effort saved. O’Neill was the only Gills player to score; Parker’s penalty miss was probably the worst I’ve seen in 30 years of watching live football.
Holy got close to saving a couple of other penalties but then Hanlan saw his effort tipped onto the post and that was it.

Just saw the highlights on Sky. They showed a selection of the pens - can't believe they didn't show the Parker one which has to be the standout!

Also, didn't mention earlier - that was a poor crowd. Can't have been more than 4-5000 max with about 1000 gills I'd say. I know it's not the greatest fixture for either team and Millwall are one of the poorer supported Champ clubs, but at a tenner a head, was a
poor show

Just saw the highlights on Sky. They showed a selection of the pens - can't believe they didn't show the Parker one which has to be the standout!

Also, didn't mention earlier - that was a poor crowd. Can't have been more than 4-5000 max with about 1000 gills I'd say. I know it's not the greatest fixture for either team and Millwall are one of the poorer supported Champ clubs, but at a tenner a head, was a
poor show
4,401 with 560 away fans was the official attendance. I agree that it seemed like more than that in the Gills end

Good report ST. Saved me some time. Yes, poor crosses and Parker has a poor game - his pen summed it up. Happy with the rest. Charles Cook was exciting. Wondering if Hanlon can actually score. Rest of his game was good.

Have to slag off Wilko the lazy ####. Had 10 mins to put in some effort and bottled it/didn't bother.

Overall a very pleasing performance and home by 10.30 in spite of the pens.

COYG!
Hanlan has already scored this season

Last night had the air of a pre-season friendly. Just disband the competition.

I’m not sure I fully agree with disbanding the comp but agree about the pre-season feel. Usually there’s an air of tension about pen shoot-outs. There was none of that last night - a very relaxed atmosphere about - not that it stopped our shocking efforts!

Although Treacle disagrees, I feel that the number of chances in this and the Burton game would suggest we do need more shooting practice. Practice on hitting the ball into a specific part of the goal and varying that part.

Although Treacle disagrees, I feel that the number of chances in this and the Burton game would suggest we do need more shooting practice. Practice on hitting the ball into a specific part of the goal and varying that part.

I can't recall disagreeing with that - I fully agree. The only thing I said that we shouldn't have bothered practising for last night was penalties (given the competition) - were it an QF or Play-Off match, I'd definitely say penalties were worth practising by the way.

I can't recall disagreeing with that - I fully agree. The only thing I said that we shouldn't have bothered practising for last night was penalties (given the competition) - were it an QF or Play-Off match, I'd definitely say penalties were worth practising by the way.

Sorry Steve, I misunderstood.

I actually quite enjoyed last night's penalty shoot out. Obviously not as much as I would have if we'd won it. But the fact that it didn't really matter if we won or lost meant that it didn't really have any stress involved.

It is only the third Gills' penalty shoot-out that I've experienced (or at least which I can remember!). The first of these was at Brighton years and years ago. I was only very young and it was definitely the best. Phil Kite had been set off and Paul Haylock replaced him in goal (well before substitute keepers!). I remember him pulling off a couple of saves during the game but then he did the incredible and won us the shoot out by saving the decisive penalty. It was magical!

The next one I can remember was the one I don't like to recall. It was without doubt the most stressful I've ever experienced ( I only have the England shoot outs to compare it with - in terms of stress levels - and although the two semi-final shoot outs with Germany induced extremely high stress levels in me, they weren't as severe as that afternoon at Wembley) and the most deflated I've ever felt after a football game.

In terms of the game last night I was again pleased with the performance and proud of the team. We certainly look like a far more cohesive unit than last season and we are creating opportunities. It's very early days and I reallydon't want to get carried away. Any talk of the 'p' word or even reaching the play offs is way too premature. However, all this pre-season fear of relegation and talk of being happy to finish 20th is also way off the mark. We have got the makings of a good team. It's all very positive and I'm now even considering going to Walsall on Saturday....