Tonight's Fans Forum Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Tonight's Fans Forum Thread

gillingham put up a temporary stand in 2004. 3,300 seats. still in use.

and
Gillingham chairman Paul Scally has made it clear that he intends to relocate the club away from its current stadium, announcing in September 2003 that "there is no future for the club at the Priestfield"

We don’t need temporary seating it’s been muted to make the SW terracing apart from front three rows to meet EFL regs on percentage being required for seating.
Doing that would increase SW capacity to 2900.

another good temporary measure, as long as we don't ever make the championship. but unfortunately would only increase ground capacity by 1000...

another good temporary measure, as long as we don't ever make the championship. but unfortunately would only increase ground capacity by 1000...

A thousand more fans is better than no more fans. The extra headroom in capacity would be welcome for people who can't get hold of tickets easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
No issues with ground size...........,in a few years time it will be back to playing Tamworth,Goole and Worksop and you be able to count the total crowd from an empty Co-op stand.
let`s keep real we are division 4

A thousand more fans in better than no more fans. The extra headroom in capacity would be welcome for people who can't get hold of tickets easily.
i agree, good for stage one. but imo we need a slightly bigger plan if we want to keep building on the current momentum.

Totally different scale but I remember Man City building that lovely stand (with restaurants etc. as well for the corporate types) on their old Kippax terrace (they had it in place for our last two matches there) and that was only a few years old when it got demolished. No idea whether it paid for itself but they had to do something to make that side of Maine Road fit for purpose before they moved to the Emptihad.

That's irrelevant. The new stand was not intended to be a temporary solution. Manchester was not awarded the Commonwealth Games until November 1995 - therefore the option of moving to the new stadium (or to any new stadium) was not in their minds at the time, especially given the hard times that descended upon them.

That's irrelevant. The new stand was not intended to be a temporary solution. Manchester was not awarded the Commonwealth Games until November 1995 - therefore the option of moving to the new stadium (or to any new stadium) was not in their minds at the time, especially given the hard times that descended upon them.
Appreciate that is the case but they had to do something as The Kippax was no longer fit for purpose. I'm not suggesting that our hand is being forced like theirs was for safety (we don't hit capacity enough during the season currently anyway) and if we hit a rough patch then we are fine as we are. However the alternative is that the club could continue to grow and we have a once in several generations opportunity to seize that moment. On a practical note should we get promoted this season I expect there would be more demand for tickets from the away sides in L1 which = less tickets for home supporters. At that point we would start to get squeezed. As we will not be moving for a decade if we want to grow then we do need to look for a temporary, or mid term solution; even if it's only another 1k or 2k home seats. The tricky proviso I recognise is that would mean not taking too much out of the playing budget so a cup run every year or investment would become a necessity rather than a luxury.

Appreciate that is the case but they had to do something as The Kippax was no longer fit for purpose. I'm not suggesting that our hand is being forced like theirs was for safety (we don't hit capacity enough during the season currently anyway) and if we hit a rough patch then we are fine as we are. However the alternative is that the club could continue to grow and we have a once in several generations opportunity to seize that moment. On a practical note should we get promoted this season I expect there would be more demand for tickets from the away sides in L1 which = less tickets for home supporters. At that point we would start to get squeezed. As we will not be moving for a decade if we want to grow then we do need to look for a temporary, or mid term solution; even if it's only another 1k or 2k home seats. The tricky proviso I recognise is that would mean not taking too much out of the playing budget so a cup run every year or investment would become a necessity rather than a luxury.
I love these problems!

I think it's more of a case of having too! The new stadium could be years away given that even an outline application hasn't been made yet! Access needs to be sorted other parties, funding etc! I reckon it could be at least 6 or 7 years away.

The costs of developing Sincil Bank go way beyond the simple exercise of extending the stadium the infrastructure upgrades will be seriously expensive but I think what Roger was alluding to last night is let's actually do some groundwork to find out what those costs could be.

Once you have some numbers you can crunch them. If we keep progressing we seriously need a bigger stadium and that's looking sooner rather than later. We could extend Sincil Bank say by making the St Andrews stand full length and adding maybe 2,500 - 3000 seats way quicker than any stadium move would happen.

Completely agree!

The Selenity is the bottleneck though, for the infrastructure reasons stated. But regarding minimising disruption, would it be feasible to build the end sections of a new stand first while keeping the Selenity open?

The Selenity is the bottleneck though, for the infrastructure reasons stated. But regarding minimising disruption, would it be feasible to build the end sections of a new stand first while keeping the Selenity open?
or keep the centre section as it is. attach two end sections. then add a new roof for the whole lot. improving viewing by removing that terrible roof support structure and the associated restricted views.

or keep the centre section as it is. attach two end sections. then add a new roof for the whole lot. improving viewing by removing that terrible roof support structure and the associated restricted views.

Think there is flaw in your idea "removing that terrible roof support structure.." So how will the roof stay up?

Think there is flaw in your idea "removing that terrible roof support structure.." So how will the roof stay up?

You build a cantilever roof on the two side stands that supports the roof section over the St Andrews .