Tonights Championship games | Page 4 | Vital Football

Tonights Championship games

Win more games than those around us and we will stay up. Or I should say just above us. Middlesbrough is the team that gives us hope i think.

Win more games than those around us and we will stay up. Or I should say just above us. Middlesbrough is the team that gives us hope i think.
For me more likely to be Hull - dropping like a stone.
We have a series of 6 pointers incoming.
It's good news that we usually do alright in those kind of games........oh wait ! 😉

We've had a (comparatively) good run lately.

Folk rightly say though that we shouldn't have to rely on other teams to help us stay up.

Other teams win.

Folk are convinced we're going down.

Funny old world, isn't it.
The worry is, by our standards, we’ve had a decent 4-5 games. Yet still remain 3pts from safety, 4pts with goal difference.

I’ll start to believe if we pull off another win tomorrow. A draw really isn’t enough given WBA are up next. If we come out of the weekend’s games 4-5pts behind our nearest rivals it’s game up.

Charlton were the ones falling like a stone. But they’ve maintained a 5pt gap during our good spell. Huddersfield keep clawing out the odd win. Now we’re looking at Boro as the target. But they have the quality to drag themselves out of this too. As for Hull I just don’t see us closing a 7pt gap.

Most onlookers will expect us to go down. So it’s going to take the unexpected to turn this around.

Usually at this stage 1or maybe 2 of the teams are adrift...not this year. All teams are putting something together..take Luton for example, is that 9 from 4 now. Credit to them all including us but is it just an indication of how incredibly average the whole division is ?

What's the survival amount when even the bottom club could get to 50.

Cook saying that there’s a few injuries ahead of tonight’s game. Pilkington and Gelhardt won’t be involved by the look of it but Gelhardt might play for the U18s on Friday. I get the impression he’s already written off our chances tonight and Saturday and is waiting for the Luton game. It’s a massive risk as we could be cut adrift by then.

We are victims of our own making, we should not be in this predicament but we our. We have a massive mountain to climb now, to stay in this league. You all know which way I think the dice will fall. My advice to you all out there is keep lighting the candles and saying the prayers.

Hoping for a boro win tonight as it wasnt a good weekend with the rest of our playoff rivals picking up points.

Well they’ve just turned a 0-1 deficit into a 2-1 lead in three minutes just before HT

Not ecstatic about that to be honest ....(Forest‘s keeper makes that Stankovic character we had look like Peter Scmeichel)

2-2 Forest with a late equaliser that arguably could've been a foul on the keeper. Coming so close and having your first 1st win in 10 snatched away will be a big physchological blow. The win would've seen them jump us but the draw keeps them in the bottom 3 - soul crushing stuff.

I've been getting neverous about Boro and Hull changing their struggling managers and getting Warnock or someone in to help drag them over the line. The last think we want at this point is a new manager bounce for one of our rivals. So the draw where Boro can feel hard done by might be better for us than a Forest win as that could've seen them give Woodgate the boot.

Boro have Charlton, Stoke and Hull all away in the next 4 games so huge opportunity for us with all our rivals playing each other.

I have no idea how forest are where they are, look shocking tonight and looked shocking both times we played them

I was thinking the same. If you never saw the league table or other results and had to guess where everyone was based on what they were like against us you'd have Forest in the relegation battle. How we didn't get 3 points at the City Ground was inexplicable.

The standard in this league, top two aside, is really poor this season. Forest were dreadful tonight and are still in with a shot of automatic. Watched Bristol City the other night at Huddersfield and they were on a par with our worst performances of the season. As result the points tally to survive will be above average this season, minimum I think 52.

Forest were poor till early in the 2nd half,they then made an attacking sub.After that they looked much more of a threat going forward and created a few good chances,missing a great one right at the end to win it.Boro looked very nervous that last 25 minutes when Forest had a go at them.Probably due to the fact they hadn't won for 10 games.I'd say the potential foul on the keeper was probably a 50 50 call.
Apparently Gibson the Boro chairman said before the game that he was fully backing Woodgate.I know that is sometimes seen as a dreaded vote of confidence,but he has a reputation of being one of the best chairman in the game.So I'd be surprised if Woodgate is sacked before the end of the season after those comments.
Two points the gap as it stands to the bottom three.All to play for!!

Last edited:
The standard in this league, top two aside, is really poor this season. Forest were dreadful tonight and are still in with a shot of automatic. Watched Bristol City the other night at Huddersfield and they were on a par with our worst performances of the season. As result the points tally to survive will be above average this season, minimum I think 52.
Agreed about the points tally having to be above average. I think someone's going down this season with 50 points or more. The magic number akin to 40 in the Prem is normally 52 points. That's four more wins from ten games. Throw in a draw or two and surely that'll be enough.

Saturday is massive. Beat Luton, Charlton continue their good home form and beat Boro, all of a sudden we're 5 points clear. If only the Championship was that predictable.

This is my first season watching Wigan/Championship football and I do agree that apart from Leeds I've not really been impressed with the standard this season. The top half of L1 is very much at this level, and the PL continues to push away in terms of quality.

The average to stay up at this level is 46 i think, but Blackburn went down on 51 on goal difference in 2017 and Peterborough went down on 54 points in 2014. It could be in that region this year too if we are unlucky. As MIW said the league standard is so poor that the points are getting spread accross teams a lot more widly than usual.

Hopefully the teams below us drop off the pace and we can ease away from the mix, but with everyone playing each other it could easily go down to goal difference or a single point. It's almost certainly going to be a last day scramble - i just hope we can for avoid that.